Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times

Default Recording guitar with Reaper

Hi guys! Hey, have probably a very simple question, but completely mind blank. Hope you guys can give an answer to probably a stupid question with a bloody obvious answer.
    I've set up Reaper OK. I've recorded midi fine. But now I wish to record my guitar onto a track, and I've drawn a blank!
    I've hooked up my Behringer UCA202 to my PC. Then hooked up my Xenyx 502 mixer to the UCA202. And lights are flashing on them, connect headphones, and I hear sound. So that's cool, (I think!)
    But now the stupid question,...Wait for it!!!
    How do I set up and arm Reaper to record when I hammer my guitar. I insert new track, then I'm lost. I have the guide, but not quite understanding. I know it's probably obvious, but could someone explain what I should be doing!
    Thanks for your help! Colyn Gypsy.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    11 times

Default Re: Recording guitar with Reaper

I've never used reaper but I can guess that somewhere on that new track you created should be an "in" tab. That should be set to your ACA202. There should similiarly be an "out" tab on that new track, this should be sent to a bus called your Master/Stereo bus/2-bus whatever you want to call it. That master bus should be set to output to your ACA202 main outs.

Rock on!

Edit* All your tracks should output to your master bus which outputs to your 202 for now until you're a little more advanced.
    Last edited by ryanoliver; 08-09-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    21 times

Select the "in" button on your newly created track; there you can choose between midi inputs our audio inputs. This should do it (if I understand your question correctly).

Let me know if this helps; I use Reaper all the time so I should be able to help with most of your questions.

All the best,

Aldo

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for your advice. Thats what I thought. But when I tried it; this is what happened.
    - inserted new track;no problem.
    - click on "in" button, but there is no obvious audio and midi choice.
    - I have a screen show up, that has options of; "monitor input: monitor input(tape auto style)", a couple of other monitor options.
    - there's also different record options;"record input; record, midi overdub in existing places; record output" and a few other options.
    - then there's: "mono input, stereo input, midi input"
    I don't seem to find audio option!

Am I in the right place? Just to clear up,(hopefully) what I'm doing; I want to record my guitar playing, thru' mixer, into Behringer UCA202 audio interface, into reaper track.

- Just a thought!( maybe another stupid one!) But do I need to direct Reaper to my interface. The UCA202 is installed and working, but maybe Reaper can't find it? Is that an option? But I swore that there should be a simple option of midi or audio input.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but thanks for any help! Colyn Gypsy.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

It has nothing to do with reaper as far as I can guesstimate. Make sure the interface is showing as the default for your operating system. The interface may be just interfacing with your built-in sound card. Is that available in the Reaper IN selection ?
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    21 times

OK Colyn, I think garww is right. Your problem lies elsewhere probably. Try this: see under options > preferences > audio > device. Here you can see/alter which interface/or soundcard reaper is using. Look for anything resembling your Behringer interface and use that as your devault. Good luck!

Aldo

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    21 times

The options: mono input and stereo input you are referring to are/should be your audio inputs BTW... This is the place where your Behringer should come up as an option for recording. Is that Behringer also a midi interface? I ask this because you said midi recording was no problem; do you use a seperate midi-interface or the Behringer for this.

Aldo

Liked
    0 times

OK guys! I've gone to options etc, and under audio device setting; i have audio system.
    - I have choice between; ASIO, WDM kernel streaming,Direct sound, Wave out, and Dummy audio.
    - I have ASIO chosen, as have had that set with my midi keyboard and works fine.
    - So there is nothing obviously Behringer UCA202 audio interface, except I can't remember seeing Dummy audio before I think. So do you think this could be it? And if it is, does that mean I just change between the ASIO for midi, and the other for guitar recording? Am I confusing anyone here, apart from myself? Thanks, Colyn Gypsy.

Liked
    0 times

In reply to you Odla; in the mono/stereo input I have showing my soundcard, nothing else. As to midi recording, I have been using my soundcard for midi, and am trying to use my Behringer UCA202, connected to my mixer, with guitar connected to it. Is this bad? My midi keyboard won't connect to the audio interface as it is USB connected. Colyn Gypsy.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    21 times

OK, I looked up the Behringer; its a usb audio interface that does not require drivers according to the Behringer site. The audio system refers to drivers etc; you should look below that section (otions > pref > etc) > input device & output device. This is where your Behringer should show up...

Aldo

edit: I have the dummy audio option too; so thats not it.

Liked
    0 times

Hey guess what! Just changed the audio system to Direct Sound and a USB codec showed up. Tried this and was able to record. Cool! Getting there! But, always a but, when I playback no sound, do I just change the output to my soundcard option? Sorry, if this is obvious! Colyn Gypsy.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

MIDI signals travel over the MIDI BUS and have nothing to do with audio until they connect to a sound device - a MIDI sound module , or a VST that acts as a module. So, this is outside the current problem.

If you are in Windows, check the Windows Control Panel for "Sound". Most of the time a DAW will only see what Windows recognizes as a sound device, so you should check that the device is active and maybe even set it to "default".

In Reaper if audio system is ASIO, then the line below will show what ASIO drivers are available. If Direct Sound, it will show things like RealteK or Behringer. You don't have to use ASIO at this point : )
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

Ya, you have to make sure the sound is directed to whatever your speakers or headphones hooked-up to.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

ALSO, this implies there are no ASIO drivers for the Behringer !!

Liked
    0 times

OK, got over nerves! Just changed the output; And have playback Sound!!!! Soon I shall be able to terrorize the world!!(well, at least the kids!!!) One other question though! In the dropdown box, I have choice of mono,left or right or stereo. What is the best option? Colyn Gypsy.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

Originally Posted by Colyn Gypsy
    OK, got over nerves! Just changed the output; And have playback Sound!!!! Soon I shall be able to terrorize the world!!(well, at least the kids!!!) One other question though! In the dropdown box, I have choice of mono,left or right or stereo. What is the best option? Colyn Gypsy.
    For now, you have a MONO instrument : )
    If you wanted to make it not sound like a direct recording, you would maybe want to alter a second channel. You can copy and paste the mono to another mono track, you can convert to stereo, or record stereo in the first place. I do record MONO, and stereo sometimes.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

Let us know how this is goin'. I just ordered a behringer 1002fx because i wanted more ins and outs. Hopefully it will be here by tues - wed..

My tascam interface lost one of it's two channels, so I use a soundblaster for stereo recording(records, etc.).

Liked
    0 times

To Garww and Olda; Thanks heaps!!! I'm on, I'm working, and I guess I'll tinker with mono, stereo,etc for now. Well as for how everythings working, I've just been tinkering with it all for a little while, and I'm like the kid in the candy shop. the Behringer UCA202 audio interface works a treat, now that Reaper knows it's there, (thanks to you guys!) It was relatively inexpensive, but simple. My Xenyx 502 mixer is simple also and works fine; I'm upgrading soon, have my eyes on our engineers mixer as my own. thanks again to you guys. without your help I would still be floundering, not to mention getting really p****ed off.
    But, I'm sure I shall return, with more obvious questions.
    Keep the Music Alive! Let me know how your Behringer 1002fx goes garww. I am bias, but I've always loved and favoured the Behringer stuff!
    Thanks all! Colyn Gypsy.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    21 times

Glad you got it working, man! And dont hesitate if you have more questions...

Aldo

Liked
    0 times

I have not tried this with your particular interface but this program provides ASIO drivers for many sound interfaces that do not have their own. It is free.

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

Try it out because ASIO drivers are usually much lower latency than your Directsound or WDM drivers.

After you install go to Reaper Audio options to select the ASIO driver. As long as your monitoring system is hooked to to your interface and not your Windows sound card you do NOT have to make any changes to the Windows Audio settings (control panel). Both your input and output should be set to your external interface.

Record your guitar in MONO unless you are using a STEREO FX pedal or board and /or you are double micing the amp. I would actually record the 2 mics on 2 tracks then run it to a stereo bus for increased control over the sound but either will work.

Hope this helps!

Jason

PS don't forget to mess with the ASIO buffer settings etc to get the optimum config for your system. If you are getting clicks and pops chances are it is your driver settings.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

ASIO isn't always so important. It really isn't needed for recording. I do use ASIO4ALL often, though. Nice to have !!

Liked
    0 times

well I have ASIO4All installed, but I don't know why, but it didn't seem to respond. So to record "live" I've got it working thru' Direct Sound, and the midi keyboard recording thru' ASIO4ALL. So far, so good I guess!
    But I do like working with Reaper though. It's user friendly ,but so far it's achieving what I want, but will really be putting it to the test soon!
    By the way garww, has your Behringer 1002fx turned up yet? How you finding it? I'll be interested!
    Cheers everyone, Colyn Gypsy.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

NO!!! IT DID NOT !!! (WEEPing)

Ya, ASIO is good for when you need duplex operation - like when the DAW has to decode/i and play VST/i or synth MIDI sounds. I've been playing with tape recorders in the MEAN TIME. I need the mixer for this.
    http://forum.recordingreview.com/f55...ecorder-21586/
    (HA !! Just now, I found a tape with studio recording on it. I'm going through about 90 used tapes finding all sorts of stuff. This sounds pretty good !!)

I think Reaper is pretty cool. I really have not been using it, because I am used to another program. I tested v3 earlier this year sending MIDI out from this internet computer to the MIDI in on the Kawai. There, I took stereo audio out to my Tascam US122 sound card and MIDI out to the same card on my recording laptop. I recorded an hour and 20 min. of the audio and MIDI and it all aligned perfectly.

I like the older style MIDI sequencer software and found a version on eBay, but the damn thing is hanging on this computer. I will try it on my print server, but am pretty sure it will work fine there.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

No, it's not studio, but a real quite club/pub type recording. I'm getting a cheap thrill !! Two girl singers, tambourine, acoustic and electric guitar, brush drums and bass. Shit, some person set-up a open reel and used maybe two mics !! Sounds good.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2076 times

The 1002fx came just about as I was gonna' nap. eh, I had my wiring all figured out a few days ago !! Taking a break. It does look very nice. - no Styrofoam packing. I am excited about the box of 100 guitar pics I got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Info

Reaper Thread, Recording guitar with Reaper in Recording Software; Hi guys! Hey, have probably a very simple question, but completely mind blank. Hope you guys can give an answer ...