2Likes
  • x 1 Post By rockfer
  • x 1 Post By m24p

Thread: How many Reaper users moved from Pro Tools?

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    15 times

Default How many Reaper users moved from Pro Tools?

Just curious how many Reaper users moved from Pro Tools, and now use Reaper as their main DAW? What drew you to Reaper, and why do you like it better than Pro Tools?

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    15 times

Default Re: How many Reaper users moved from Pro Tools?

Any......?

Liked
    6 times

I am no expert but I started learning recording in pro tools. Ive also played with Logic, cubase, propellerhead Record and several other DAWs. I had the Mpowered version of pro tools. I hate that it restricts the number of tracks you can use in a project, hate that it does not have delay compensation and that versions previous to v. 9 were tied to a specific sound card. I do however love the workflow in pro tools and I am used to the shortcuts of it. I am of the opinion that all DAWs have the same basic capabilities and that it is just a matter a preference.

This is where Reaper comes in, I currently have version 4 of reaper and it is absooutely perfect for my needs. Reaper lets you customize your screen sets, shortcuts, and lots of other things. So basically you can tailor it to your hearts content.

I have it set up so that all the shorcuts are the same or almost the same as pro tools. And I havent really missed anything about pro tools. Plugins in reaper are very good. It is light and the development and customer service is supervb.

Only drawback is that it is time consuming to get it exactly how you want it configured but once you are done and realize it fits exactly with your needs you wont regret the time spent. A lot of stuckup pro tools users would tell you there is no comparison. I say that Reaper has a competitive edge because it gives you the freedom to do what ever.

Hope this helps, and if you have any specific questions I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge. Again i am no expert
    R8R9R0 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    366 times

I did. Over a year in now. Reaper rocks
    Originally Posted by brandondrury
    I don't make music to impress engineers.
    | www.EPICSounds.ca | www.AudioGeekZine.com | www.HomeRecordingShow.com |

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    23 times

A salesman tried hard to sell me Pro Tools.....I didn't go for it..He was a pro tool....

I have Reaper, but have not used it yet..I also have Sonar X1 Producer and some other good software not used yet....

rockfer, I do have a question: I downloaded Reaper 64 bit...Should I use 64 bit or 32 bit, and why ??? Also, you mentioned you have
    Reaper 4.0....I began printing out the 200 pg manual for Reaper 3.75; Will this manual work for 4.0, or should I start over ??
    Is my Sonar Producer and Superior Drummer 32 bit, or 64 bit ?? Thanks in advance if you know the answers...Damian...

Blog Entries
    Liked
    3269 times

Originally Posted by R8R9R0
    Also, you mentioned you have
    Reaper 4.0....I began printing out the 200 pg manual for Reaper 3.75; Will this manual work for 4.0, or should I start over ??
    REaper 4.0 is very similar to Reaper 3.75. They did add a lot of stuff, but almost everything in the old manual still applies, and then you can just look at the "what's new in Reaper 4" info to figure out the rest.

I've never used protools, but I started out in Cubase LE, switched to Sonar LE, then Switched to Reaper. It's my favorite so far. Cubase doesn't even have a built in "mix" knob for plugins, so for cubase, if you want to do parallel compression, you have to set up a bus or something.

Reaper is intuitive and easy to use (for me) but once you get into it you'll love love love the flexible signal routing etc. It's really easy to make the tweaks you need than hide the detail and work in the higher level mix. Plugs are good, JS plugs are scripted plugs that you can actually go into the code and tweak or easily create your own and share them. I like it tons better than cubase or sonar.

Only downside is very little in the way of built in VSTi's, but you can get several free ones that are decent elsewhere and it works fine with any ones you might purchase.

Oh, faster than real-time bounce is a big one, too. If you have a simple 5 minute mix, it might only take 30 seconds to render it to an mp3. Most other DAWs would take 5 minutes.

Or say you have a vocal take that you want to reverse, apply compression to, and reverse again. Rendering that stem will probably run at 16x or so.

There's a lot to love about Reaper.
    R8R9R0 likes this.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    23 times

Thank you m24p...........Damian...

Liked
    6 times

Just to add to m24p's comment.... I don't know about Sonar Producer.... but I do have superior drummer... this version is only 32 bit. I have reaper 64 bit because I have a 64 bit machine and reaper provides a "wrapper" for 32 bit plugins. It does this seamlessly. I haven't had a problem yet.

I started learning Reaper with the tutorials from:

Tutorials For Reaper | Quick Start Guide | Video Walkthrough | Audio Production | Product Sales
    ReaperTutorials - CockosWiki

and this book:

ReaMix: Breaking the Barriers with REAPER by Geoffrey Francis in Computers & Internet
    (The concepts in this book apply to any DAW but are done with a focus on Reaper)

Hope this helps!

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    23 times

Thank you rockfer......great info, and great links.....I have a lot to learn; the more threads I read on here, the more in the dark I feel,

ie, stuff like "32 bit pluggins work only with a bridge in 64 bit software" etc etc....Most interesting info.....I love this forum...Damian..

Blog Entries
    Liked
    366 times

There is a pro tools theme made for REAPER that might help you with the transition from PT.
    Because all the key commands can be custom, you can make them the same as PT in almost every situation.
    Originally Posted by brandondrury
    I don't make music to impress engineers.
    | www.EPICSounds.ca | www.AudioGeekZine.com | www.HomeRecordingShow.com |