• x 1 Post By brandondrury
  • x 1 Post By dudermn

Thread: EQ Settings In Reaper

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    30 times

Default EQ Settings In Reaper

Howdy all,

Am playing around with Reaper trying to figure out just what to do with the EQ and my voice, if anything.

The project I'm on right now is over here.

I have 4 quick samples of my vocal in that project.

In your experience would you EQ what your hearing, or leave well enough alone.

A screen shot below of what I've tested.

Thanks ahead of time on your input.

Odd Forum scrambles the order of these files.
    <strong>Audio File Only Available To Members.</strong> Attachments
    Just Having fun!
    Reverbnation/Todd Allen
    Bash Me here! 1st 2nd 3rd
    Shure KSM27, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Win7 64bit,
    AMD Phenom II x4 965, 4 gig of ram

Blog Entries
    Liked
    3220 times

Default Re: EQ Settings In Reaper

It's hard to say without knowing the context, but I generally would use a HPF or at least shelve down some of those lows.

What did those frequency settings come from? 11 bands? Really? I would keep it simple, I rarely get over 6. Anyway, depending on the context, "3 Wide Male 329 boost 10400 notch.mp3‎" might have been my favorite.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    30 times

Yeh I'm positive its song dependent, If it was Rock or Country the raspyness on top wouldn't bother me, I'd just leave it.

I only used the 11 bands because it is a stock profile included with Reaper. I wanted an adjuster in those area's I was messing with.

Later I found that you can just add a band and slide it anywhere you like.

So basically I could just have a flat line at 0 and add just the two I'm liking.
    Just Having fun!
    Reverbnation/Todd Allen

Blog Entries
    Liked
    3220 times

Originally Posted by T_O_A_D
    Yeh I'm positive its song dependent, If it was Rock or Country the raspyness on top wouldn't bother me, I'd just leave it.

I only used the 11 bands because it is a stock profile included with Reaper. I wanted an adjuster in those area's I was messing with.

Later I found that you can just add a band and slide it anywhere you like.

So basically I could just have a flat line at 0 and add just the two I'm liking.
    Ok, gotcha. Those presets are never really intended to be used, I don't think. They're more examples to get you started and show you what you can do.

There's some weird harshness that the notch is helping tame, and there's too much proximity effect. I would probably do a relatively low q (shallow) high pass to take away some of the low frequency "mud" but not as much as "2 Stock EQ Wide male.mp3‎" took away. And I'd take a narrow, step band EQ and find where in the high frequencies needs a cut and cut it. Good luck, you have near infinite options!

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Liked
    2340 times

I like # 3 also. That boost at ~320 Hz adds body to your tenor voice. Your voice coach should walk you through your "range" and tell you what it is. That will give you some more insight into how to craft your voice.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5087 times

I wouldn't buy any of those 4 songs. Too short, the hook wasn't near long enough, and I don't recall ever buying any a capella stuff. I'm kinda kidding here, but I'm serious. When I recommend engineering decisions, they are done to get a song closer to being something I'd buy.

With this post (without context) you are essentially asking is it POSSIBLE that any of these vocal sounds could be used. The only problem with that is the range of POSSIBLE vocal sounds is almost infinite. It's the emotional context that the really good mixes know how to maximize.

Maybe not your poison, but this is all over the radio (and I like it ) A song like this where the mixer took a big dump on the rule book (and is artistically/commercially profitable) makes this issue of possibilities pretty much wide open.

Post music with a specific emotional goal and I'll be able to give you my opinion.
    T_O_A_D likes this.

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Liked
    2340 times

The Blackout link is blocked, but I looked it up and checked it out. Some pretty wild stuff going on there. Definitely impressive with the song/mix possibilities!

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    30 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    I wouldn't buy any of those 4 songs. Too short, the hook wasn't near long enough,
    Didn't want to keep filling your HD with more of my crap, thus the reason for short clips.

But if you like I can post the entire vocal, but still fail to see why it would be needed.

Surely you can hear the difference in the four already posted???

and I don't recall ever buying any a capella stuff. I'm kinda kidding here, but I'm serious. When I recommend engineering decisions, they are done to get a song closer to being something I'd buy.
    Yeh, wasn't trying to sell it, LOL

With this post (without context)
    I posted a direct link to the project, isn't that context???

you are essentially asking is it POSSIBLE that any of these vocal sounds could be used.
    No I was asking what if anything should be done with my voice via the EQ in the context of the song I was working on.

Maybe not your poison, but this is all over the radio (and I like it ) A song like this where the mixer took a big dump on the rule book (and is artistically/commercially profitable) makes this issue of possibilities pretty much wide open.
    Yeh, just electronic noise and phasing 20 something stuff, I listen to it, at work due to the kids there, nothing I'd try and do though.

Post music with a specific emotional goal and I'll be able to give you my opinion.

Again I included a direct Hyper link to the project in BTR.

As a benefit to you for skimming too fast and missing the link I'll just post it full version with out the Hyperlink for ya.

Easy, Me, You are so Beautiful (Cover)

Oh I didn't click the "Like" button on your post as per-say I liked it.

I clicked it to send you a notification so you would see you had a response.

So anything you can productively add will be appreciated.
    Last edited by T_O_A_D; 02-15-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Just Having fun!
    Reverbnation/Todd Allen

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    250 times

Just lo cut until 400. Notch around 1-3k (as reaper does make notches in the eq shape in the sub-meneu). But more importantly find out your' microphones profile, and than add in the high end that usually falls out with microphones.
    T_O_A_D likes this.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    30 times

OK, not exactly sure on the profile, but I think your talking about this.

And setting it like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images x x 
    Just Having fun!
    Reverbnation/Todd Allen

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Liked
    2340 times

That seems to fit what Dude was describing. But that high end boost is really high and may be beyond your vocal range (except overtones). Your microphone (which one are you using?) chart has a 5dB presence bump at 6-7k and a smaller one around 11-12k (the camel curve ...) so you may not need much added high end, but if you do I think it would be in a little lower range. If you want to tromp that natural presence peak maybe a wide boost around 5-8k. You'll just have to play around until you find good ranges for both voice and microphone and try to match them together. "Become one with the instrument."

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    30 times

Thanks Stan, UI figured he was giving me a starting point.
    I'm using a Shure KSM27 All my specs are in my sig, if you need more.
    I was also thinkg the same thing to why I would need to boost the far right, since that is stuff I can't make vocally, and if I did, I myself wouldn't want to hear it. I've actually been notching it out there on the backing tracks to get rid of the ambient hiss sound in those recordings.

I' am a little confused about why I need to notch it at the 2k spot though, from what I gathered from the chart sent to me the other day the mud comes from around 300-400

Yep that is the goal to be one with it, and get the most its capable of doing for me.
    Just Having fun!
    Reverbnation/Todd Allen

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Liked
    2340 times

With many instruments, including vocals, there is low-end "mud" and midrange "harshness" (sometimes high-end "fizz"). EQ curves can get pretty convoluted but that's where it becomes an art form. It's like a sculptor chipping away at the audio ... you're looking to expose the true silhouette and carve away the chaff. It takes a lot of playing around, but the idea is to cut away anything that does not benefit the instrument and mix, and possibly boost something that gives more character (or "emotion" as Brandon would probably say). So you may have a low-end AND a midrange cut, and might boost some higher frequencies for "air" or ambience. Sometimes a boost on the low-midrange (like that 320Hz seemed to beef up your voice) comes into play also.

Yes, KSM27, I should have remembered. Good mic. Vocal technique and EQ are your areas to work with for now.