Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Why wont my drum overheads stop clipping?

Hey guys! I've just upgraded my studio a bit. Now I have an m-audio projectmix mixer running with pro tools m-powered 8 and for my drum overheads I am using rode nt-5's. They are about 7-8 feet up above the kit and even with the input gain all the way down they clip. With my old crappy mixer I could close mike the hi hats from inches away with the same mics.

Am I overlooking something? Theres got to be a way to make them not clip...right?

Thanks for the help guys,
    Harry

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    242 times

Default Re: Why wont my drum overheads stop clipping?

I am also surprised to hear that the overhead mics clip when set at 0db.

Normally, on a quality preamp you would be able to engage the "pad". This would allow your preamp to accept a higher input without clipping.

I've never used the M-Audio ProjectMix nor the Rode NT-5. However, I understand that if using a the ProjectMix with a computer, there is a software input/output mixer that can also influence your input levels.

Try opening the M-Audio Firewire Control Panel on your computer and lower the input fader levels on your overhead tracks.

This is is my only advice for now...

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Dang, I thought that would be it for sure, but I've been messing with that all day to no avail.

This is absolutely stumping me.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Clipping While Recording

Hey, I Hope Some1 Can Help Me Here Im About To Lose It Lol...right!

I Got A Neumann Tlm 49, Into A Twin Finity 710 Preamp And That Is Wired To My Edirol Ua-101 Audio Interface. I Dont Know Why After Trying Everything The Signal Keeps Clipping Once It Reached The Audio Interface...so Once It Converts To Digital Signal It Sounds Distorted...i Have To Put The Gain Very Low On The Pre Which Gives Me A Un Healthy Signal On The Led...the Pin Doesnt Even Move...i Aint Getting The Amplified And Full Sound After The Analog Signal Goes Into The Soundcard...can Anyone1 Tell Me Why, Is There Something Im Doing Wrong?

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Clipping While Recording

Originally Posted by D.4.L PRODZ
    Hey, I Hope Some1 Can Help Me Here Im About To Lose It Lol...right!

I Got A Neumann Tlm 49, Into A Twin Finity 710 Preamp And That Is Wired To My Edirol Ua-101 Audio Interface. I Dont Know Why After Trying Everything The Signal Keeps Clipping Once It Reached The Audio Interface...so Once It Converts To Digital Signal It Sounds Distorted...i Have To Put The Gain Very Low On The Pre Which Gives Me A Un Healthy Signal On The Led...the Pin Doesnt Even Move...i Aint Getting The Amplified And Full Sound After The Analog Signal Goes Into The Soundcard...can Anyone1 Tell Me Why, Is There Something Im Doing Wrong?
    That's a nice mic/preamp combo.
    Are you connecting the preamp outputs to the line input on the back of the Edirol or are connecting it to the hi-z input on the front ?

The preamp output should be connected to the line in of the Edirol.

Worse yet, do not connect the preamp's output to the mic input of the Edirol. You will overdrive the Edirol's mic input.
    Last edited by jagcmos; 04-17-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

your right on that, connecting to the front will have a -10db limit with a male xlr but connecting it from the back into line 3 which is a trs balanced jack socket is meant to go upto +4db...we specially got a custome made van damme male xlr to balanced stereo jack to go from the pre output to the line input (back) of the edirol but it gave us the same result, a healthier signal on the pre l.e.d but a distorted signal with alot of highs once converted into digital by +20db...

im suspecious about the a/d converters could that be the problem?...the soundcard isn't even old not even been a year...the phantom is switched off on the edirol due to we are using the twin finity...we are getting a strong amplifide analogue sound fru the twin finity as we hooked it directly to a single monitor to test...so the only problem is the signal going from pre direct to the edirol....are we missing something? a mixer to adjust the volume before sending it to the edirol or is that not the case? coz im sure you can record directly into cubase fru edirol,pre, n mic.

i realy appreciate everyones time and advise they have to give on this issue. every word counts
    Last edited by D.4.L PRODZ; 04-17-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Liked
    126 times

I got the NT-5's too. Unfortunately there is no PAD on them that I'm aware of. I use them for OHs as well and must watch the clipping very closely.

For louder drums I usually go about 8-10 feet above the kit. For softer drums I go anywhere between 4 and 8 feet.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

I also have a pair of NT5s...I use inline XLR pads when I use them on cymbals...

something like this...

M-Audio XLR Microphone Pad with Phase Inverter

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by jagcmos
    That's a nice mic/preamp combo.
    Are you connecting the preamp outputs to the line input on the back of the Edirol or are connecting it to the hi-z input on the front ?

The preamp output should be connected to the line in of the Edirol.

Worse yet, do not connect the preamp's output to the mic input of the Edirol. You will overdrive the Edirol's mic input.

your right on that,

connecting to the front will have a -10db limit with a male xlr but connecting it from the back into line 3 which is a trs balanced jack socket is meant to go upto +4db...we specially got a custome made van damme male xlr to balanced stereo jack to go from the pre output to the line input (back) of the edirol but it gave us the same result, a healthier signal on the pre l.e.d but a distorted signal with alot of highs once converted into digital by +20db...

im suspecious about the a/d converters could that be the problem?...the soundcard isn't even old not even been a year...the phantom is switched off on the edirol due to we are using the twin finity...we are getting a strong amplifide analogue sound fru the twin finity as we hooked it directly to a single monitor to test...so the only problem is the signal going from pre direct to the edirol....are we missing something? a mixer to adjust the volume before sending it to the edirol or is that not the case? coz im sure you can record directly into cubase fru edirol,pre, n mic.

i realy appreciate everyones time and advise they have to give on this issue. every word counts

Liked
    126 times

Originally Posted by spaceatl
    I also have a pair of NT5s...I use inline XLR pads when I use them on cymbals...

something like this...

M-Audio XLR Microphone Pad with Phase Inverter
    Well, duh! Why didn't I think of that! Good idea. Thanks for the link!
    TonyB

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I have NT-5's as well...never had a problem, and I place them 2 drum stick lengths over the kick...they sound awesome...everytime. Has to be an issue with your pre or converter.
    Makin' da Gold Wreckads

Liked
    0 times

I have never heard my NT-5s clip...My reason for using pads probably has more to do with the preamp in my ADA8000 DA converter. Trims all the way down and the drummer going to town "tickles the reds" just a bit...I don't hear any clipping, rather it's just a little too close for comfort...