Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Reducing mouth noise for voiceover

I get it - most of the folks on this forum are recording music. But I'm recording audiobooks, and deperately need some editing help.

I want to eliminate the mouth pops that occur in the pauses between speaking. Up to now, I've just been manually cutting them out, but there's GOT to be a better way.

I tried messing around with the noise gate that came with my Cubase LE4, but it gates to complete silence, causing the recording to sound choppy, unnatural, and "dead". (If you cut out all the breathing sounds, it sounds very animatronic.)

Is there a way to reduce the volume in the pauses automatically, without eliminating the sound entirely? Like a "gain reducing gate?

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Reducing mouth noise for voiceover

Originally Posted by Grace1909
    I get it - most of the folks on this forum are recording music. But I'm recording audiobooks, and deperately need some editing help.

I want to eliminate the mouth pops that occur in the pauses between speaking. Up to now, I've just been manually cutting them out, but there's GOT to be a better way.

I tried messing around with the noise gate that came with my Cubase LE4, but it gates to complete silence, causing the recording to sound choppy, unnatural, and "dead". (If you cut out all the breathing sounds, it sounds very animatronic.)

Is there a way to reduce the volume in the pauses automatically, without eliminating the sound entirely? Like a "gain reducing gate?
    Not sure about the gate thing but how about a thick foam windshield sorta thing, like they use in outside broadcasts? that would bring down any breathing or lip smacking sorta spill to a more manageable level.
    Hope that helps?

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I'm already using a popfilter, and because the final product is just pure, unadulterated voice, I'm worried that adding a thick layer of foam is just going to make it sound muffled.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

I'm already using a popfilter, and because the final product is just pure, unadulterated voice, I'm worried that adding a thick layer of foam is just going to make it sound muffled.
    Hmm.
    How about reducing the gain substantially in the breaks in speech,
    instead of cutting it altogether? Leaving just atrace of the recording.
    This would make it sound more 'real'.
    Can't think of any other solution at the minute. Sorry I'm not to hot on the use of gates for speech, only drums really.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I don't suppose there's such a thing as a plug in that would automatically detect the silences, and then reduce the gain by a preset amount?

I've been playing around with Cubase LE4's noise gate, and pretty coming to the same conclusion - they don't work for voice.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

I don't suppose there's such a thing as a plug in that would automatically detect the silences, and then reduce the gain by a preset amount?

I've been playing around with Cubase LE4's noise gate, and pretty coming to the same conclusion - they don't work for voice.
    Sorry, dont know if there is such a plug in. I would think there must be something, in this age of technology. If there is I'm not sure I would know how to use it. lol

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Firstly, when you start recording, put the narrator off-axis to the mic. About 30 degrees off is norm for voice-over. That way, narrator is not breathing directly into mic and sounds better in general.

See if you have an expander in your plug-ins and use that instead of the gate. That would lower the volume of the lip noise.
    "Do you know what I hate about computers? The problem with computers is that there is not enough Africa in them." Brian Eno

Living Culture Media Solutions
    http://lcmsmedia.com

Liked
    0 times

Grace1909
    Equilibrium8 in my opinion is right on the money.

Not only the cheapest but possibly the best way to improve it all is is to use your microphone and not let the mic use you.
    Learn when the pops appear on what consonants in your words back off for that split second or slip a little underneath the mic top. Try your voice around all angles of the mic and hear what the variances are (record these exercises and listen to them in a quiet period). Listening and looking at the wave files at the same time is a good thing it will let you know visually when your volume is too up and down. It can be very hard to hear your own volume and looking and listening can help you with this big time. Learning to project your voice with regular volume but with good inflections can cut down your workload and produce the finest work in the long haul.
    Covering the Mic is something I try to avoid as it does tend to change to vibrancy of the voice.

Best
    Pounamu.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll try it all out, and see what works. Thanks for the suggestions!

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Grace, did you find a solution to your problem? When I do voiceover work, I, too, have a certain smacking sound that is difficult and time consuming to edit out. So far, the two suggestions I have seen are avoiding milk and using lip balm. I don't drink milk, and since I don't have any lip balm here, I haven't tried it yet.

There have been some other suggestions offered, but so far, none has solved the problem. It's a really annoying issues that cannot be EQ'd or gated out effectively. It's a real noise that needs to be attenduated at the source.

If you have any further suggestions, please bring them on.

God Jr.
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1020 times

Can you post a sample?

Without hearing it I am wondering a few things. What mic's are being used? A cheap condenser will exaggerate this problem. What compressor is being used? I hear these annoying choppy gates on pro voice over work all the time and it is annoying. Lip smacks and saliva in the mouth etc. sometimes sounds cool and natural.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I will try to post a sample tomorrow. It's past my bed time. Does this site allow uploading sound files, or do they have to be hosted elsewhere? Photobucket is great for photos, but what site hosts mp3 files for free?

Liked
    0 times

Patlaw
    Truly, compressors, eq, limiters, flangers? The noise comes from the way you articulate your words, the way you use your mouth. Blunt but true. Listen for the times you don't hear it and reproduce that. It is quite possible, it works for me anyway. Which side of your mouth are you using? How are you adressing the Mic - below above-straight into- with volume -at a whisper, do you open your mouth a bit or a lot?
    As has been mentioned food, not the words used but - Diet - get athletic eat clean nutrious food and the glue will form less at the lips! I hear what has been said on milk, I drink goats milk, less hard on the lactose intolerant, less mucus produced.
    We all have those annoying noises which come from our speech habits, you could call them personality traits! The thing is to get the speech right and there needs to be very little editing. Your personal street speech personality might take a hammering but that's in another life.

Best
    Pounamu

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3104 times

A less aggressive version of a gate is a downward expander. It's worth a try to see if this mechanism can pick up the slack where improving technique still comes up short.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

God Jr.
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1020 times

Yes this site will host mp3's. When you post your reply click "go advanced" click the paper clip and up load. Be patient it is a little slow.