Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times

Default Pro-Tools vs Nuendo vs Cubase.

I'm trying to figure out wich of these audio programs is better for recording RAP AND REGGAETON MUSIC:

Pro-Tools
    Nuendo
    Cubase

Those are the 3 most used in the genre. So, what are your toughts ?

Wich is more easy to learn ?
    easy to mix ?
    Any Comments ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Pro-Tools vs Nuendo vs Cubase.

Does the recording system that you use has any difference in the quality of the voice recorded ?

What are the real difference between them respecting quality of voice ?

NOTE: I WILL NOT BE RECORDING ANY INSTRUMENTS - ONLY VOCALS!

Liked
    464 times

Doesn't matter which you use. For audio only stuff, I find ProTools easier to work with. For MIDI, I personally would only use Cubase. Nuendo is like Cubase but geared more towards post production.

If you're asking the question, it really doesn't matter. They are all professional and very capable applications. They are also all expensive.

They will all take the novice a while to get acquainted with.

The choice microphone you use will make more difference in the quality of the vocals than which of these three applications you use.

R.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5222 times

There is no direct difference in quality. No features like direct monitoring in the software can make it easier for you to adapt your monitor mix to fit what they are doing. When I used cheaper recording software, I couldn't apply compression plugins real time. Cubase has allowed me to do that and I think my vocal recordings are better because of the headphone mixes are better.

Beginners often have this utopian dream of quality / clarity where using more expensive equipment will make their music super clear and pro. Well, half the time the big boys are using vintage gear to distort and color things up. It's a very interesting paradox. If you take a great song and really squeeze a great peformance out of a singer/rapper/whatever the rest will take care of itself.

The software you chose all sounds the same. They all manipulate audio. Some come with better plugins. Some have features that allow you to do different things, but in the end the final product is 99.99% up to you, how you use the gear, and most importantly....how you interact with the artist. Producing is everything.

I love Cubase. I use it for everything and I feel absolutely zero need to ever try another program again unless there is some major breakthrough in recording software. Cubase SX3 is it. I'm done for a long time, at least.

Wich is more easy to learn ?
    easy to mix ?
    The basic features in a recording program are pretty straightforward most of the time. Following the included tutorials will get you there pretty quickly. Now for using the more advanced stuff, it just takes time. The better the program the longer it takes to learn.

I know in the short term, the learning curve of a program is a bitch. However, once you blast through it, your home free. So don't think about the next 2 months, think 2 years ahead. The simplicity of the program is a non-issue unless you are just a really "slow" person.

The "quality" of the voice comes almost entirely from the singer. It's up to the producer to get them to sound amazing. If the vocal is just going to slap some crap on a song, the mic isn't even that important (as long as the tone is not harsh).

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hey dude I just posted a disgustingly long reply to your other thread about starting out.

Keep in mind I don't know everything about recording and these are my personal opinions

Pro Tools-Pro Tools is fucking sweet. But it's too expensive for your average home recording guy. Pro Tools LE is way too restrictive and upgrades cost too much $$$

Cubase-I've only had it for a few weeks but I think it kicks ass. It looks a lot different than Pro Tools LE(LE is bright as shit compared to other sequencers) and work-around methods are a little different. There are a ton more things I love about Cubase than with LE. The most important things I can think of off the top of my head are:ADC. This is the end all and be all of everything a sequencer stands for for me. The non-realtime bounce is another really sweet feature. I could go on and on but you get the idea

Nuendo-I haven't used personally. My buddy uses it in his studio and he seems to like it really well. Nuendo is made by the same guys who make cubase and they share the EXACT same audio engine. That means program-wise they don't sound different. Nuendo is $1500 more than Cubase SX3 but it offers a lot more post production/surround/video options that may or may not be necessary for you

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5222 times

Is there anything that Cubase doesn't do that Pro Tools LE does?

I hate having to explain to people that Pro Tools LE is not Pro Tools HD. I realize it was an amazingly brilliant marketing move because they are selling 100,000x as many Mboxes because of the name recognition.

In my own recordings, I've always felt limited by my own musical abilities, my own talents, and my engineering abilities. Not once has a record I've done been less good because of the software I used. I still have a project going in Vegas. Cubase can make a lot of things easier, but the songs don't seam to be any better...if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'd just like to dig deeper into the Pro Tools vs Cubase discussion.

I really don't think there is any need to discuss Nuendo just as there is no need to discuss Pro Tools HD3 since they are out of the price range of most people on this forum and are only worth the money if you have the money to burn.

Note: There is a reason that Pro Tools HD3 and Nuendo are used on major label sessions. However, keep in mind that many albums that used HD3 or Nuendo also had a drug budget higher than most of us make in 2 years. Also keep in mind that a $600 recording program is INSANELY powerful. You are probably not as good of engineer, producer, or songwriter as your recording software is at being recording software.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

I saw the Pro-tools in musiciansfriend in $250 (I don't know if it comes with the M-Box.)

Liked
    464 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    I hate having to explain to people that Pro Tools LE is not Pro Tools HD. I realize it was an amazingly brilliant marketing move because they are selling 100,000x as many Mboxes because of the name recognition.
    Sure it isn't, but on low track counts and a good computer, the difference is pretty negligible. They look the same, they share most of the same functions. The difference is in hardware accelleration, which might affect those using lots of power hungry plugins, but is unlikely to affect anyone else.

R.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5222 times

Sure it isn't, but on low track counts and a good computer, the difference is pretty negligible. They look the same, they share most of the same functions. The difference is in hardware accelleration, which might affect those using lots of power hungry plugins, but is unlikely to affect anyone else.
    What about Automatic Delay Compensation? (Andrew07 just told me like 5 minutes ago)
    I must admit that I'm only relaying what I've heard over the years. I'm not a Pro Tools user and probably never will be (unless that Platinum record things comes before I die). I just know a lot of kids think that the only way to get world class recordings is with Pro Tools (and then they record in their 10'x10' bedroom).

Whatever you decide, if you go with Cubase SX3, I have a feeling that you will be 100% happy with the software. I can't guarantee anything, but I know I am and I'm not exactly easy to please.

Brandon

Liked
    464 times

I would agree with Brandon, and think its a much better choice overall than ProTools. Nuendo is overpriced and overfeatured for your purpose. Cubase 4 or even Cubase 4 Studio will do you just fine, and if you can pick up Cubase SX3 or even SL3 for a really good price, I'd go for it.

R.

Liked
    0 times

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=Cubase

Look in that link... Cubase is more expensive that Pro-tools ?????????

Pro-tools only cost $249.99 (Look at those prices).

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by richiebee

R.
    And HD is around $15,000 MORE than LE. That's just insane to me that you're paying that much more for: hardware acceleration, automatic delay compensation, and unlimited track counts. I can live without hardware accelaration but Pro Tools LE's inability to compensate for plug-in delay is just fucking ridiculous. Another nice thing to note is with Pro Tools LE you get 32 FUCKING TRACKS. In order to get 16 more mono OR stereo tracks you have to pay $500 in a version upgrade. For that much money you can get another program that has unlimited track counts and ADC.

I don't know much about hip-hop or rap but from what I've read in magazines they use a ton of tracks(one article I read said Dr Dre was using over 200 tracks on one song) and plug-ins.

L-1011Alpha, yes it's cheaper but you get a lot less bang for your buck. There's a difference between Pro Tools, and what you get with the Mbox, Pro Tools LE.

Liked
    0 times

By tracks, you mean channels ? (correct me if Im wrong)

Because if it is about channel, for example in Reggaeton we only need about 20 channels per song... (depending the singer voice)

Liked
    464 times

Originally Posted by L-1011Alpha
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=Cubase

Look in that link... Cubase is more expensive that Pro-tools ?????????

Pro-tools only cost $249.99 (Look at those prices).
    THAT version of ProTools is MPowered. You need to buy an M-Audio interface that's compatible with it. It's crippled even in comparison to ProTools LE. It would be like buying Cubase SL (or maybe even SE, I'm not sure).

Compare like with like - ProTools M-Powered, and ProTools LE is NOT on a par with Cubase 4 or Cubase SX.

To find the right version of old Cubase (SE/SL/SX) look at the comparison chart at http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...art/708126.pdf

You don't need Cubase 4 or Cubase Studio 4, but either would be really good too.

Remember that Digi sucks you into a forced upgrade path, a limited selection of hardware and a limited selection of compatible plugins.

Liked
    464 times

Originally Posted by Andrew07
    I don't know much about hip-hop or rap but from what I've read in magazines they use a ton of tracks(one article I read said Dr Dre was using over 200 tracks on one song) and plug-ins.
    They also wear a lot of bling. Do they do it because they have to or because they think its cool?

200 tracks? What tune was this on, I'd love to know what those 200 tracks were.

R.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

its in an old Mix article I'll see if I can find it...now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was Missy Elliott

Liked
    0 times

The upgrade of pro-tools ? Is it obligatory ?

Liked
    464 times

No, it's not obligatory. But for example, I have a nice ProTools HD system. I also have Waves Diamond plugins. In order to upgrade ProTools, I need to upgrade Waves Diamond.

So, I'm forced to do one of the following -

Use all old versions of the software
    Buy upgrades to all the software
    Throw away Waves Diamond.

With VST (eg, Cubase, Nuendo), the plugin compatibility is much simpler.

R.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

Owning PT systems since the early 90's (my first system cost over 19K to get everything going) as well as having Nuendo, they both are great. PT has a better routing and bussing system for music mixing. There are also some damn good plugins only available for PT. Nuendo kicks it's ass in the midi department. It is also better in terms with compatibility with 3rd party software. Most developers make a vst version and I'm very happy with my current plugs.

No one does post production here I won't comment about that. The moral is if you have unlimited bucks and want to buy into a propietary system, go PT. A comparable Nuendo system is much cheaper - and I prefer it for writing. Both have their plusses and minuses.

The only real drawback to Nuendo is platform and hardware based. If you must record high track counts ie: 24-32 at one time. PT has the edge in stability there as far as the average user in concerned... but for midi, once again, PT sucks...

My personal feeling is that if you don't have the money for an HD or maxed out older mix system, Cubase is the best bang for the buck. Sonor has come a long way recently, but only recently.

Liked
    0 times

My friend has in his Studio PRO TOOLS 6.1 LE (with Mbox) and it works perfectly for Rap and Reggaeton music. He has never upgraded the system, and yet, it works fine with the plug-ins that he has since he started with PT.

It only cost to him $250 (USED) PT LE w/MBox.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

well, if he can improve upon my efforts and save 20k in the process.... more power to him... if you are so in love with that $250.oo system, why don't you just buy it and call it a day?...

Liked
    464 times

I'm with Dach... if you want ProToolsLE or M-Powered or whatever it is, go for it.

Just because you don't take our advice, doesn't mean you have to justify going a different route.

R.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5222 times

it works fine with the plug-ins that he has since he started with PT.
    I'm sure it does. But as Richiebee mentioned, if you decide to upgrade, you may be upgrading a lot more than you bargained for.

Very very few of us are happy with the stock plugins. Even if we do like the stock plugins with any software program, we usually have numerous compressors, reverbs, etc because a given track may call for a different tone/texture.

Just because you don't take our advice, doesn't mean you have to justify going a different route.
    You are 100% right no matter what you choose. You'll have to live with that decision. Everyone who has posted here has been in the recording studio trenches for quite some time. Most of us make our living that way. If you have a gut feeling that doesn't necessarily agree with what we are saying, go with it...but I do have to say that just about everytime I've disagreed with the experienced, older, and wiser people I usually end up agreeing with them after I waste a bunch of time and money.

Another thing that concerns me is Dach just said that Pro Tools' midi sucks, but besides vocals 100% of your work is going to use a midi sequencer. The Cubase SX sequencer seams to be liked by everyone.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

what is the overall best interface to use for Home studios. I have heard so much and so many back and forths comparing Pro Tools and Sonar,Nuendo, Cubase 4, all I wanna know is what is the overall best computer recording interface. Oh and hi room!

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5222 times

Well....Nueno, Cubase 4, and Sonar are all recording software. They are not "interfaces". An interface is a soundcard. Pro Tools is the exception in that it includes both the software and the audio interface.

What's the best? Easy. The one you like! I'm a Cubase SX3 man myself (precursor to Cubase 4). I'll counter your question with another question. What is the best color? What is the best woman? It's all subjective.

The real answer is this: Just about any recording software these days is capable of cranking out great music (as long as you are putting great music into it). With that said, some of the more high end programs have greater quantity (like more tracks, more inserts, more aux sends) or have more fancy features.

Brandon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast