Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    6 times

Default How to use Autotune

In this thread, Brandon said:
    As far as my use of Autotune, I very rarely use it in auto mode as an insert. When tracking, if we hear a bum note, I go in and Autotune it destructively in the wav editor thingy. If I can't get what I want, I know I have to retrack. I think Autotune does more damage than good 1/3 of the time when it's on auto mode. (More so on vocals than on instruments).
    Since then I've spent some time in the manual, but I still can't figure out how to do this. There's a "graphic" mode that gives much more control over how things are tuned, but still operates in realtime as an insert.

I think I must be missing something, but I can't figure out any way to use it except as an insert. Can someone help me understand how to use Autotune in some kind of offline mode? Or suggest a workaround that doesn't require Autotune's intensive use of resources during playback/mixdown? Thanks!

www.drycreekstudio.com

DAW: Windows 7 | Core i5 1400 | 8GB RAM | Cubase 7 | M-Audio Delta-1010 | Event TR6 monitors

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

Default Re: How to use Autotune

There's a "graphic" mode that gives much more control over how things are tuned, but still operates in realtime as an insert.
    Uhhh... if I'm understanding you correctly, this would reak total mayhem on a vocal. I'm not sure that it's possible for graphical mode to function with Autotune on an insert.

In my method, in Cubase SX3, I double click on the file (opening the wav editor). This could also be done in Sound Forge, Wavelab, etc. I highlight the part in question. (Maybe only 3-4 seconds). I fire up the Autotune plugin and click preview. This draws in a line that matches the pitch of the vocal.

Generally, I'll click on "auto" within graphic mode and Autotune will draw the line it thinks is best. I'll go in and delete the junk I don't want and fix any issues that Autotune's auto mode may have had.

I then hit the "process" button or whatever it is.

The pitch should then be fixed.

This process is very similar to how I reduce sibilance. I think it was Afarawayland who called them "Hindenburgs". I open up the audio file in question, highlight the little Hindenburg, and then click Process > Gain (or something like that). Instead of bring up Autotune, it brings up a little volume knob slider. I set it for -3dB or whatever and hit process.

Brandon

Liked
    464 times

If you don't want to use realtime, then use offline processing - I don't have my dongle to get the exact methodology to describe, but you'll find it on page 372 of the Operating Manual.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    6 times

I'm not sure that it's possible for graphical mode to function with Autotune on an insert.
    I've read this a few other places online as well, which may be why I could never get it to work...

I just found a fairly extensive discussion on homerecording.com, dealing with pretty much the same question.

Okay, it's starting to make sense to me. Sounds simple enough, but last time I tried I couldn't figure out how to apply plugins in the wave editor.

I'll try again when I get home, and if I have trouble I'll look up offline processing in the the manual (I assume you're referring to the Nuendo manual? The Auto-Tune 4 manual only has about 75 pages)

Thanks for being patient with me,
    ~k

Liked
    464 times

Sorry, I thought you were using Cubase... it's page 372 in the Cubase manual... yeah, look for offline processing in the Nuendo manual.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

It's robo simple, dude. You'll kick yourself when you see how easy it is.

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    6 times

It's robo simple, dude. You'll kick yourself when you see how easy it is.
    you're right, my butt is sore now from kicking myself...

duh...

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for that.