Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    8 times

Arrow Your going to hate this.....

Basically all I've ever recorded on is a MOTU interface.
    Im interested in upgrading to a nice mixer.
    One with better preamps and abit better to look at ! ha

The thing I dont understand is, if I was to buy an analog or a digital mixer, how would I then connect them to my pc?

Iv been looking at some pics of some on ebay etc and they dont have USB/FIREWIRE outputs (which is what iv only ever recorded on).

Can you also explain how I would benefit from having a mixer rather than an interface.
    My knowledge of mixers is extremely vague as Iv never really used one.

Some mixers come with EQ/fades etc.
    If i recorded something, then eq'd on the desk then exported, would those eq settings take effect, or would I still need to use eq on my DAW. Basically are the faders, eq's just for creating a mix to listen back to, not to actually mix the record?

As much info as possible wil be extremely helpfull!
    Remember, Iv NEVER EVER used a mixing desk!

Thanks
    x

EDIT: Iv just been reading up on this yet again. Am i right in thinking I can connect say, my drum mics to the input of the mixer, then then connect the output of the mixer into my interface, then connect the output of my interface to the input of my mixer?
    Last edited by adgemstudios; 08-06-2009 at 06:21 AM.

s'got stankie on his hangdown
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Your going to hate this.....

Ok, if you are looking to upgrade your interface preamps to a mixng desk, here are your options:
    API 16 channel mixer- $50,000
    Neve 16 channel mixing console- $36,000
    Or get 4 or 5 of these 4-channel units at $2500 each.
    Another option would be source specific preamp channel strips from Avalon, Neve, Great River, Grace Design, Manly and others to match each mic to it's preamp that fits best.
    Then you will need superior 16-channel A/D Converter from Apogee, to do these upgraded preamps justice. That's how they connect to PC.

So if you want upgraded preamps in a mixing console, you can expect a $25,000+ bill for all the high-end equipment. Any mixer less than $800 per channel will have the same quality preamps in the MOTU. They make Mackie mixers with 16 preamps and Firewife interface for about $1900 with the required add-on card, but the preamps, EQ, and A/D converters, are standard to average quality.

Liked
    0 times

Oh, if you are looking for a DAW control surface to make those faders actually do something, Digidesign makes 16 preamps in a control surface for $10,000. Or you can get a control surface only with no preamps for $1500 and an extra $1000 to have 8 more faders.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    8 times

Say I wasnt too bothered about upgrading my preamps and just wanted a nice looking mixing desk, and i brought an analog one, how would that connect to my daw?

Could i still multi track record drums?
    Would the outputs of the desk need to go into my interface?

If they did go straight into the interface, what would be the need for the faders/eq's/compressors that the mixing desk might have?

Liked
    0 times

To track drums, your interface will need to have multiple input capabilities. Some have built in preamps, with line inputs(need external preamp), and ability for ADAT lightpipe. I'd suggest a minimum of 8 channels.

If you absolutely have to have a mixer, you can get a PCI or firwire interface with line in's only, no preamps. Because you will use the preamps on the mixer, but the eq and faders would be obsolete.

If you want workiing faders, you need a control surface with built in preamps. Most affordable ones only have 4 preamps and you will have to purchase an ADAT 8-channel preamp unit.

What's your budget?

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5200 times

Since all you are worried about is the looks of the thing, you don't really have to hook it up, do you?

Brandon

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    8 times

Personally Im not worried, but it seems more professional from bands perspective!

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

Originally Posted by adgemstudios
    Personally Im not worried, but it seems more professional from bands perspective!
    Learn your recording and mixing chops with what you've got...that's what bands will appreciate... the end result.
    But if you're really bent on just the looks, consider a controller for mixing, something like a Mackie MCU pro. At least that will be very useful as well as looking cool.
    Last edited by Freddy G; 08-06-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Liked
    0 times

I tried to explain without giving a Whomper-type answer of, "Retard, you don't need a mixer."

Mixers do make for a cool sight when you walk into a studio. But Freddy's right, bad-ass sound clips on your web site to 10 times more for client.

One thing that's also very impressive and 10 times for usefull is a multiple monitoring system. I get a lot of "whoa"'s from clients and I only have a set of Event TR8's and a couple Sony Home stereo speakers.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5200 times

Mixers do make for a cool sight when you walk into a studio. But Freddy's right, bad-ass sound clips on your web site to 10 times more for client.
    I'll probably end up with a Neve or API for the same reasons mentioned. There is something to LOOKING like you really know what you are doing. However, this should only come after you SOUND like you know what you are doing. (I'm assuming you are still in the "growing" phase as most of us here are.)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is repeat clients. You only need eight really good clients a year to make a decent living assuming these are sizable projects. If you have a really good relationship with 100 people, it's not a big deal staying busy. Someone always has a project coming up. However, this only works if you really take care of your clients. I personally consider putting all your money into things that actually sound better is the first step.

Just buying a mixer because it looks cool and wasting resources that could have legimately made you sound better seems a step in the car salesman direction.

Brandon