Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    13 times

Question Yamaha KX8, Can You Connect It Simultaneously To Interface & Amp?

First I should say I am on the road and my KX8 is no where near me at the time but I'm wanting to buy the equipment I need for it now.

I haven't used my KX8 yet. It's still in the box so I don't know a whole lot about it YET!

I suppose since I already have the VSTs and VSTIs that I will be using with it, it will be run through a VST box or laptop. I'll probably buy either the Roland UM-ONE or the M-Audio Uno USB MIDI Interface Cable for connecting to the laptop if I go that route.

My question is how can I connect my KX8 in a semi-permanent way in my home studio? It has limited ins and outs but I want to have it connected to where I could play it without going through my studio monitors and have it going through a keyboard amp. I also would like to have it connected at the same time through my M-Audio Projectmix I/O so I could cue it for recording (also playback through monitors). Is there a way to do this? I will include images below to give you an idea of what I have to work with (no headphone out). The owner's manual connection guide it attached as well. Thanks!

Larger KX8 Link

Larger Projectmix Link

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get most joy in life out of music.” - Albert Einstein

Fender Cyber Twin SE Amp
    Fender Stratocaster, Gibson SG
    Boss GT-10B Bass Processor
    Schecter 5 Str. Bass
    Yamaha KX8 Controller
    Roland TD-9 V-Kit
    Sonor 3007 Kit
    M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
    Focusrite ISA-One Digital
    JBL 5" Monitors, Sub & MSC1

Very Bad Individual
    Liked
    132 times

Default Re: Yamaha KX8, Can You Connect It Simultaneously To Interface & Amp?

You're talking about your workflow.

You don't need a midi interface, it comes with one, the usb port.

It doesn't have any audio output so talking about hearing it here or there is about routing the computer output where you want it.

Workflow develops over time and is usually changing as you find better ways to work.

You might need some sort of monitor controller to change what you want to hear because of the limited routing on your equipment.

Or change equipment, some interfaces offer the flexibility you need and a lot of other options.

Either way I would try working with what you have first.
    I never finish a mix, just abandon it.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2063 times

All this revolves around your sound module - that's why the KX has no headphone jack
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    13 times

I know this would be so much easier, and make sense is I was in my studio hooking this stuff up.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying. I will have a laptop hooked up to my KX8 hosting/running the VSTs for the keyboard sounds and I will be running my Projectmix into a desktop PC for recording. Split the output of the laptop to go to the amp and into the projectmix? That makes sense. I am not sure what my laptop or desktop computers will be yet. Laptops don't usually have a lot of audio out ports, I suppose I can find some type of splitter for the headphone out and convert the connections as needed.

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get most joy in life out of music.” - Albert Einstein

Fender Cyber Twin SE Amp
    Schecter 5 Str. Bass
    Yamaha KX8 Controller
    Roland TD-9 V-Kit
    Sonor 3007 Kit
    M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    13 times

Originally Posted by tacman7
    You don't need a midi interface, it comes with one, the usb port.
    I'm new to midi. If I connect via USB to my laptop hosting my sounds (VSTIs) that will work OK? I thought most VSTIs look for midi port connections to run on.

Fender Cyber Twin SE Amp
    Schecter 5 Str. Bass
    Yamaha KX8 Controller
    Roland TD-9 V-Kit
    Sonor 3007 Kit
    M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2063 times

No, you should be able to select either the MIDI ports or the USB, or, both. Whatever is showing as active in the OS. So, you could use the laptop for a sound module over USB and also go out to the recording PC over DIN to record the MIDI performance, and also the audio out of the laptop.

With what I do here, I use old stereo receivers as my audio routing box, but you can but a used Radio Shack Three Tape Deck switch box for $5 on eBait.
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    13 times

Thanks, I shouldn't need to do too much switching. I do have 2 different midi keyboard controllers and would like to be able to use them together if possible but that should be (I would think) a matter of just assigning them their own VSTIs and setting the connections for each inside their VSTI and just inputting both controller's usb cables into the laptop. I can keep the lines going to my amp the same and I suppose if I really needed to record them at the same time (shouldn't need to, I hope) I can run the 2nd controller through my recording pc.

Fender Cyber Twin SE Amp
    Schecter 5 Str. Bass
    Yamaha KX8 Controller
    Roland TD-9 V-Kit
    Sonor 3007 Kit
    M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Very Bad Individual
    Liked
    132 times

Not sure if the kx can do it but the mo6 you could hook up the usb cable to your computer and use it.

Then you could plug another keyboard using legacy midi to the in port of the mo6 and it would merge with the mo6 and show up on the same usb port in the computer.

So the mo can be used as a midi interface.

But that's 1 port.

If you need to use multiple midi devices at the same time a multiport interface is really handy to have.

The project mix 'IS' your audio interface, or that was how it was intended to be used. It can function as a digital mixer or a converter.

So you would plug a mic in it that would go into the computer and get recorded. Via firewire, so you should get a computer with a compatible firewire port.

And your DAW would send it's playback to it that you could hear in your headphones of monitors.
    I never finish a mix, just abandon it.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    13 times

Originally Posted by tacman7
    Not sure if the kx can do it but the mo6 you could hook up the usb cable to your computer and use it.

Then you could plug another keyboard using legacy midi to the in port of the mo6 and it would merge with the mo6 and show up on the same usb port in the computer.

So the mo can be used as a midi interface.

But that's 1 port.

If you need to use multiple midi devices at the same time a multiport interface is really handy to have.

The project mix 'IS' your audio interface, or that was how it was intended to be used. It can function as a digital mixer or a converter.

So you would plug a mic in it that would go into the computer and get recorded. Via firewire, so you should get a computer with a compatible firewire port.

And your DAW would send it's playback to it that you could hear in your headphones of monitors.
    I'm not sure about what all the KX8 can do YET but I'll find out.

I will definitely be running everything I can and then some through my Projectmix! If I had to bypass the PM for some odd unknown reason I would think I could still use it to control that track in the DAW.

Fender Cyber Twin SE Amp
    Schecter 5 Str. Bass
    Yamaha KX8 Controller
    Roland TD-9 V-Kit
    Sonor 3007 Kit
    M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2063 times

I almost sprung for two small KX that were up for auction just for the arp function.