• x 1 Post By aj113
  • x 1 Post By fHumble fHingaz
  • x 1 Post By DanTheMan

Thread: Yamaha HS Series Monitors

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    78 times

Default Yamaha HS Series Monitors

So I've been saving, I was sold on buying the HS50M with sub or the 80's (was thinking 80's no sub for now). Now I have the $$$ and see there's a new HS in town. Anyone have any advice on which way to go here? In the new series there is a middle option - the HS7 that might be good for me. Keeping in mind this is just a home set up.

Once I buy the monitors, can anyone recommend a good/simple/inexpensive A/B switch so I can switch between the Yamaha mixing monitors and my Bose computer speakers?

Thanks a bunch

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2219 times

Default Re: Yamaha HS Series Monitors

The 7's do look nice. That's a big nearfield and you also have to deal with the port in some way
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    78 times

Originally Posted by garww
    The 7's do look nice. That's a big nearfield and you also have to deal with the port in some way
    I think they look good too, just wondering if I should just stick with the original plan since there have been so many good reviews on the 50s and 80s - I think it's fair to say that most people like these monitors. Or take a chance on a new, somewhat unproven product?

What port do you mean that needs to be dealt with? Refering to the A/B switch I asked about?

Either way, I can't wait to start mixing on real monitors - I've been using my Bose computer speakers all this time!

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2219 times

If you're not cramped for space, 6.5-inch can be nice - they offer a 43Hz spec of some sort. The port is that sound hole on the back - like on a guitar, but tuned to make up for weak bass.

I don't use any self-powered stereo speakers, so I wouldn't know about switching. Most line-level A/B input switches can be hooked up backwards, though - as long as it's line level.
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    78 times

Gotcha, so by 'deal with' you mean I'd probably have to compensate for a tuned bass colouring of the sound? I guess that would be something to be aware of for placement and using the trim switch?

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2219 times

A port is a outlet for sound. Small ports might have that jug-band effect, so which way they outlet can be a small problem. Since these are out the back, you won't hear them directly, but you may have to move them out from the wall and/or absorb/scatter the interaction with the room wall. Of course, how hard you push them will be a factor - wanting to move more air for volume. There is a rough correlation between woofer size and how far away you should be from them based on how far the tweeter is from the center of the woofer. With a smaller box, it will be more of a single point source

<

vs
    <
    <
    Pirrie08 and DanTheMan like this.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    78 times

Awesome - thanks for the lesson and advice garww!

Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Liked
    252 times

Originally Posted by Pirrie08
    I think they look good too, just wondering if I should just stick with the original plan since there have been so many good reviews on the 50s and 80s - I think it's fair to say that most people like these monitors. Or take a chance on a new, somewhat unproven product?

What port do you mean that needs to be dealt with? Refering to the A/B switch I asked about?

Either way, I can't wait to start mixing on real monitors - I've been using my Bose computer speakers all this time!
    Ive been studying the SLATE mixes and posts.... one mixingEng does well with the 50's and a sub. I know because I asked them what monitors they used. that's just another confirmation of what you mentioned...
    Pirrie08 likes this.
    "I may try it, because why not?" seafroggys

ITB: REAPER, L6 Gear Box w/ UX8 Interface
    MONITORING: KRK V6 w/Focal tweeters (nice pair), Altec BXR1121 pc speakers(crap pair), Headset-Sony7506
    NOISE GEAR: Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar, Bass guitar, a Microphone and a Rythm/Drum Machine

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

I've not used any of these new Yamaha monitors so I can't say for sure, but I suspect they are up for the task.

As for switching, it really depends. Since you are talking powered speakers in either case you'll be switching line-level signals. If you have the option for RCA-type connections, something like this is hard to beat and costs virtually nothing. Amazon.com: 3-Way Audio Video AV RCA Switch Selector Box Splitter For XBOX XBOX360 DVD PS2 PS3 with AV Cable: Electronics There are more elaborate options, but this is where I'd look first.

Brandon
    Pirrie08 likes this.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    493 times

My buddy has a pair of the bigger ones and his stuff translates well at my place and my stuff translates well at his. My bet is they are okay IoW.

fWIW, the only powered speakers I've measured that didn't have some amp rattle are ADAMs. I'm not sure how that Yammies would hold up, but at this point I'm pretty much sold on ADAM speakers. I wouldn't buy front ported speakers ever again though--we'll at least if the port is anywhere near the midrange or treble driver. With ADAMs, that means you have to spend a lot of money. jBL makes good monitors as well. Listening at guitar center, my favorite speakers were the ADAMs, then the Yammies, and then the JBL. the ADAMs I use were not in the guitar center though. The Artist series had to be bought online.
    Pirrie08 likes this.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    493 times

Oh, and the Yammies and JbL were no where near the cost of a lot of the speakers--and trust me, I was not thrilled about liking the Yammies b/c of all the hype the NS10s get(which are pretty much a turd as far as loudspeaker metrics are concerned).

So just to reiterate, I bet the Yammies are worthy of your purchase. I doubt I'd have any trouble living with them.

Certified Badass Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1363 times

HS80's used here with no subs. Not about to change them any time soon....

P.S. I have stuffed a pair of socks into the bass port of each monitor because they are mounted in the corners of my very small control room.
    Pirrie08 likes this.
    Bashing using AKG K 77 cans http://hairymonsteraudio.co.uk

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    78 times

Thanks a lot everyone! It's hard for me to invest in the new products - makes me feel like a bit of a guinea pig but I think that may be the way I go. The good thing about my local shop is I have 30 days to return for any reason so I should have ample time to see if I'm happy or not. It'd just be nice to make the right choice without a bunch of trial & error!

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2219 times

Well, in message #2, I felt they looked good to go. There isn't that much that separates one from the other between different brands(per dollar), as far as being useful. Whatever you choose should fit your room like headphones fit your head.
    Reference Aj's 8-inch. I had to stuff the rear ports on my 5.25 tannoy even though they were out from the wall about a foot and on stands. My 4-inch, 2-way and 8-inch, 3-way are non ported and do fine in my small room.

This 8-inch, 2-way fires out at 45-degree
    Attached Images Attached Images x 

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3517 times

Being a satisfied HS50 and sub user myself, I think you'll be happy.

The only caveat I would add is to take some time to get familiar with how they sound. Obviously, you are very well acquainted with how material "should" sound on your current speakers. I'm guessing the Yammies will take quite a bit of getting used to. Get some music you are very familiar with and play it through them constantly at first, so that you "acclimatise" your hearing to the new speakers.
    coolcatbro likes this.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    493 times

Indeed Mr. FHingaz. Indeed. In the end it should be rewarding to boot.

Ultimately if you don't want to go trial and error, the evidence would suggest just going with the measurements. If you don't know what measurements are audible and how that'll effect the sound though, you'll be SOL. A few minutes of googling and you'll have it.

Dan
    coolcatbro likes this.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    66 times

Originally Posted by Pirrie08
    Thanks a lot everyone! It's hard for me to invest in the new products - makes me feel like a bit of a guinea pig but I think that may be the way I go. The good thing about my local shop is I have 30 days to return for any reason so I should have ample time to see if I'm happy or not. It'd just be nice to make the right choice without a bunch of trial & error!
    And that's your best bet, imho.

While there's no doubt in my mind that there are good and bad monitors (measured specs can help you here), your room will have a huge impact on the final sound, and you can only "tune it" until a certain point.

I had the opportunity of listening both the HS-80's and the MSP-5 Studio, and I was unimpressed by both of them - which was curious, because I had listened to the MSP-5 before on another place and liked it a lot for its size.

I can only blame the acoustics of that room for that difference.

I have to say that the monitors that gave me the most cohesive (and great sounding) experiences were the Genelec's (even the smaller ones), but these days I'm very careful at 'judging' monitors unless they're side by side and allow me to do a fast A/B comparison.

I would buy them at that store*, try to learn them for a while, and see if it's up to the task you want them for.

*But I would still try to do some A/B tests on the store with another set of monitors just to have some reference point.

"You'll need a microphone which will faithfully take the sounds that you give it and doesn't adds character of its own - that's really the essence of all the rest of the equipment."
    Rupert Neve to Dave Pensado

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    493 times

Evidence says that anechoic measurements above 300hz are more in touch with what we here. Below there in room measurements are what we hear.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    66 times

Originally Posted by DanTheMan
    Evidence says that anechoic measurements above 300hz are more in touch with what we here. Below there in room measurements are what we hear.
    I've read a bit about it, but how do you translate it into real world?

I mean, we 'want' anechoic measurements above 300hz with a 'flat' frequency response and a gentle HF off-axis roll-off?

Or do we 'want' a HF roll-off on-axis in a real room environment?

"You'll need a microphone which will faithfully take the sounds that you give it and doesn't adds character of its own - that's really the essence of all the rest of the equipment."
    Rupert Neve to Dave Pensado

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    493 times

Both. The former is partly responsible for the later.