Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Why High End Recording Studio Still Use $$$Analog Mixers

Hi,

This is my first post since i became recordingreview.com. I'm from indonesia so forgive me if i write a bad language.

I confuse about mixer. i see high end studio like Ocean Way studio and they use a very high end analog mixer in their disposal but for what if the purpose just for recording and not for live performance????

Can they just use massive AD&DA converter and use a large Mixer Controller Surface?

Thx & Regards
    aan

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2020 times

Default Re: Why High End Recording Studio Still Use $$$Analog Mixers

Big studio's can offer digital and analog services. Having the right tool for the job is important.
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Blog Entries
    Liked
    353 times

Primarily it's for recording and monitoring a large number of sources at once.

besides that::
    Top 3 reasons to use an analog console.

1 - Convenience
    2 - Speed
    3 - Wow factor

Convenience - It's great to be able to have almost every track you've recorded at your finger tips and the ability to move more than one fader at a time is really helpful at times.
    Speed - You can get your balances, EQ, compression and panning set up on a console FAST, especially the balances, vs moving one fader at a time, selecting which plugins you want etc.
    Wow factor - when a client walks into a room with a console they immediately feel like they're in a 'real studio'.

There are plenty of downsides to a console, but I'll spare those reasons unless you're ready to buy one.

Earlier today I was here and the dude said even though that particular console is one of the worst maintained in the city, he'd take that over mixing ITB (in-the-box) any day.

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    I don't make music to impress engineers.
    | www.EPICSounds.ca | www.AudioGeekZine.com | www.HomeRecordingShow.com |

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by Audio~Geek
    Speed - You can get your balances, EQ, compression and panning set up on a console FAST, especially the balances, vs moving one fader at a time, selecting which plugins you want etc.
    Hmmmm....

I have my own conclusion:
    1. that's mean it would be better we do AD conversion to the sound into the media (HDD, etc) after we do the mixing, balancing, EQ, or other stuff that available on the console board rather than convert it to the media first and than do the mixing, balancing, EQ from the DAW.
    2. If the pro's uses analog stuff, they use the Left and Right channel from the consoles output and convert it to Digital (2 channel stereo project)

Convenience - It's great to be able to have almost every track you've recorded at your finger tips and the ability to move more than one fader at a time is really helpful at times.
    If Convenience is the reason then why not they use the PT Icon D Command Console. It's a DAW base console and it feels like an analog console (even has motorized faders)

hmmmm..... is that true..... correct me if i'm wrong.... and sorry for being stubborn

Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3102 times

Originally Posted by aan782004
    If Convenience is the reason then why not they use the PT Icon D Command Console. It's a DAW base console and it feels like an analog console (even has motorized faders)
    People do use these. However, that's a whopping price to pay for a control surface that really contributes nothing sonically. You may as well use an MBox and work everything inside the box and spend your $60k+ on something that makes you records sound better. Even better, a Mackie Control/HUI-based aftermarket control surface with non-PT-related software/hardware would you save you really huge $$$.

One advantage is a sonic unity that running everything through a console provides. Kinda esoteric and usually fairly subtle but present.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    2767 times

I understand you confusion. Reading on forums like this, it's easy to think that studios will go to great lengths to squeeze out every last possible ounce of sound quality out of their gear. How much more dynamic range do you lose by looping in and out of the interface? Truth is, it doesn't matter. That's not how studios are set up and that's not what clients demand. They are set up to be convenient and get the job done. For a lot of people, consoles make their job easier and more convenient.

Sure, you could set it up in a way that will give you lower noise, more powerful options, blah blah by using a control surface, but if the person running it doesn't like the feel, the setup or whatever, then there's no reason for them to do it. For people that spent the last 40 years in front of an analog console, what reason do they have to change to anything else?

God Jr.
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1017 times

Much has been much said here that is valuable already. Here is my 2 cents. Respectable recordings are being done both ways. There is no best way. Both can be convenient and both are expensive at the pro level. If there was one best gear list that is what all the studios would have. Planes, trains and automobiles all get you there however they all serve a different customer base.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    353 times

Here's an idea
    Forget about the forum for a minute, and the opinion of a bunch of cranky dudes on the internet.
    Pick up the phone and call a local studio that has a big analog console. Ask to schedule a tour.
    When you're there ask the engineer if he prefers working with a console and why.
    Originally Posted by brandondrury
    I don't make music to impress engineers.
    | www.EPICSounds.ca | www.AudioGeekZine.com | www.HomeRecordingShow.com |

Liked
    126 times

Here's an idea
    Forget about the forum for a minute, and the opinion of a bunch of cranky dudes on the internet.
    Pick up the phone and call a local studio that has a big analog console. Ask to schedule a tour.
    When you're there ask the engineer if he prefers working with a console and why.
    We'll have none of that so-called common sense on this forum!

Those studios are usually pretty good about doing tours. Sometimes you'll be allowed to watch a session if it's okay with the artist(s).
    TonyB

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by bozmillar
    I understand you confusion. Reading on forums like this, it's easy to think that studios will go to great lengths to squeeze out every last possible ounce of sound quality out of their gear. How much more dynamic range do you lose by looping in and out of the interface? Truth is, it doesn't matter. That's not how studios are set up and that's not what clients demand. They are set up to be convenient and get the job done. For a lot of people, consoles make their job easier and more convenient.

Sure, you could set it up in a way that will give you lower noise, more powerful options, blah blah by using a control surface, but if the person running it doesn't like the feel, the setup or whatever, then there's no reason for them to do it. For people that spent the last 40 years in front of an analog console, what reason do they have to change to anything else?
    hmmmm..... interesting....... make my sense tickling ......

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Here's an idea
    nice idea dude.....

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    3 times

I think it is because a lot of big name artists still prefer to record to tape, and up and comers think they should do it too.

Until recently, there was no way to control a tape machine using a sequencer like protools. But now there is the CLASP tool:

http://forum.recordingreview.com/f66...pockets-34222/

Maybe the CLASP tool or something like it will eventually replace the big console.

God Jr.
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1017 times

Clasp seem to me to be a heck of an expense for some convenience.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2020 times

Originally Posted by paul999
    Clasp seem to me to be a heck of an expense for some convenience.
    Ya, it struck me that way, also. But some need it. I can imagine it being a gift from god for some workflows.
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii