I'm planning on buying an external 5.1 soundcart for my laptop. And next to plugging in my 5.1 system I'd like to do some voice-recording (want to create a little self-read audiobook).
I tried recording with my laptop but that creates a lot of noise in the recording and when i try to remove that (in Audacity) not much of the initial recording remains (a lot of aliasing if I interpreted the weired sounds correctly).
Since I don't really know what features are important here some questions:
- What features are important (for voice-recordings, speech, no music or singing)?
- One of the most important things might be the sampling rate. How high should that be (not as high as for recording music I assume?!)?
- What else (eg how important are ad converters? What is the value that tells me if they are good or not?)?
- What is the difference between Line In and Mic In?
- I know that the mic is at least as important as the soundcard. What are the important features a mic should have?
Since I don't think that recording will become a regular thing for me (only planning on doing this one project), I don't want to spend too much money on the whole thing (less than 100$ would be nice).
Thx in advance,