Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Voice Recording: External Soundcard + Mic

Hi,

I'm planning on buying an external 5.1 soundcart for my laptop. And next to plugging in my 5.1 system I'd like to do some voice-recording (want to create a little self-read audiobook).
    I tried recording with my laptop but that creates a lot of noise in the recording and when i try to remove that (in Audacity) not much of the initial recording remains (a lot of aliasing if I interpreted the weired sounds correctly).
    Since I don't really know what features are important here some questions:
    - What features are important (for voice-recordings, speech, no music or singing)?
    - One of the most important things might be the sampling rate. How high should that be (not as high as for recording music I assume?!)?
    - What else (eg how important are ad converters? What is the value that tells me if they are good or not?)?
    - What is the difference between Line In and Mic In?
    - I know that the mic is at least as important as the soundcard. What are the important features a mic should have?

Since I don't think that recording will become a regular thing for me (only planning on doing this one project), I don't want to spend too much money on the whole thing (less than 100$ would be nice).

Thx in advance,
    xadian

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Voice Recording: External Soundcard + Mic

Here two systems I looked at (that seemed to meet the requirements I have):
    Amazon.com: Creative Labs 70SB049000000 USB SoundBlaster Live 24-Bit External Sound Card: Electronics
    Amazon.com: Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster X-Fi 70SB109000000 Surround 5.1: Electronics

Would those to the trick or am I missing something about them?

PS: A USB Mic would not be my first choise.

Mega Member
    Liked
    44 times

Default Re: Voice Recording: External Soundcard + Mic

Actually, for recording spoken word I would actually suggest the USB mic. Honestly, unless you have a *really* crappy sound card your mic is going to make more of a difference than your card. Most sound cards these days are fine for voice recording. Mics on the other hand vary greatly. You can good results from a $100 sm58 but you would also need a pre-amp. If you got an inexpensive USB mic you have a complete solution. Well, I suppose you should also get a stand for the mic so you're not trying to hold it while you read. If this is going to be a single project you can always sell the mic when you're done.
    - Sparqee

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Wink Re: Voice Recording: External Soundcard + Mic

i just ordered the MAYA 44 USB EXTERNAL SOUND CARD TO BE USED ON MY LAPTOP. I AM PLANNING TO RECORD VOICES AND MIDI SAMPLES THROUGH IT INTO CUBASE SX 3. I WANNA KNOW IF I HAVE CHOSEN THE RIGHT ONE.