Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Question Two keyboards connected by MIDI question.

Hey there!

I'm new to the forum. I've just bought a two-tier keyboard stand. I want to connect my two keyboards via MIDI. My main one is a PSR-1500 and the other one is the original Yamaha DJX. I would like to be able to play chords on my PSR-1500 and for that to then playback the chords of the accompaniment style on the DJX. I have two MIDI Cables at hand. I want to be able to play the lead-melody line on the PSR 1500 but still have the option to use the lead line on the DJX as well. I'm sure this is possible? Can anyone help me and tell me what I need to do in order to achieve this?

Thanks!

Mike Carter

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4683 times

Default Re: Two keyboards connected by MIDI question.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly.

Are you saying you want for the chords you play on the PSR-1500 to play on both the PSR-1500 and Yamaha DJX. That shoud be fairly straightforward. Send MIDI out from the PSR-1500 to the Yamaha DJX. You'll want to make sure you get the channels to match up.

From there you should be able to play lead on the DJX with no problem.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hey Brandon!

Thanks for your reply. Well, I should have added that when I did connect the MIDI OUT of the PSR 1500 to the MIDI IN of the Yamaha DJX, all it did was play the 1500's styles back through the DJX's speakers at the same time but using the soundset of the DJX. Does this help? I will have a play around and see if I can work it out in the mean time.

Thanks!

Mike

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4683 times

I should have added that when I did connect the MIDI OUT of the PSR 1500 to the MIDI IN of the Yamaha DJX, all it did was play the 1500's styles back through the DJX's speakers at the same time but using the soundset of the DJX. Does this help
    Maybe. You should be able to change the instrument/patch/preset being triggered into the DJX for that specific channel. This gets a hair complicated for me to explain because I don't have these two keyboards you mentioned. You should be able to set the output channel on your PSR 1500 so that you can control the exact sound it is triggering in your Yamaha by changing the instrument/patch/preset in your Yamaha.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    You should be able to set the output channel on your PSR 1500 so that you can control the exact sound it is triggering in your Yamaha by changing the instrument/patch/preset in your Yamaha.

Brandon
    That's cool but I was hoping for the chord I play on the psr 1500 to control the accompaniment section and styles of the Yamaha DJX, rather than it sending all over the sounds from the 1500's styles. Any idea what channel is likely to give me this outcome? I know I could do this by just not using MIDI and playing the chord on the djx, and the melody on the other keyboard. The problem with this is when you're using fill-ins and things it's easy to get confused as to where you're playing the style from and I miss chords out so it would be nice to control it from the 1500 but maybe this just isn't possible!

Thanks!
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4683 times

to control the accompaniment section
    What is an accompaniment section? Give me a specific example.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    What is an accompaniment section? Give me a specific example.

Brandon

Well the Yamaha DJX uses a similar concept to any home keyboard. In terms of it has "Voices" which you use to play melodies and "Styles" which are rhythmic and melodic accompaniments which play back based on the chords you play. These styles play back when you play a chord on the bottom end of the keyboard (accompaniment section) and when the accompaniment feature is turned on. I thought that playing a style back on the PSR 1500 would do the same thing on the DJX automatically when connected via MIDI, (but to play back the chosen DJX style of course) but it did not, it just made all of the sounds contained in the Yamaha's Style play through the DJX but using its own sounds. Hopefully I've put that in a clear enough way to describe whats happening.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4683 times

Okay, I see. This accompaniment thing is specific to one particular keyboard. You probably could get it to go out the MIDI out, but I'm not sure how. You'll have to speak with people who have more experience with this particular keyboard.

Good luck!

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Brandon et all,

I'm probably a few months too late to respond to this thread but have a question of my own which hasn't quite been answered. I have a Yamaha Motif XS8 which is hooked up to a computer via mLan which I use to write into Sibelius. For sequencing, I use the sequencer within the Motif and prefer to work that way. Unfortunately, I don't like the piano sounds within the Motif so want to midi my Roland XP80 into the Motif so that I can use some of those sounds. When I connected a couple of midi leads in and out of the two instruments I got all sorts of error messages and my PC shut down. Any help you or anyone else can give me would be gratefully accepted.

Jo.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4683 times

It seems extremely odd that simply running MIDI out of the Motif and into the Roland would have any effect at all on your computer. Does it happen if you use MIDI Thru on your Motif.

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if it's possible to cause a computer error this way because I'm confident that when MIDI leaves the computer, the computer has no way of knowing that is going on.

I'd play around with both for a while and see if you can't come up with some more detailed clues as to when and why this is happening.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I seem to have got it up and running now - I think the error messages and problems with my PC were possibly because I was mucking around with too many connections at once and maybe not getting any of them installed properly. I've got the midi connected between the two instruments now which brings up another question. Should I be able to get all of the sounds out of my roland and into the motif or only the gm sounds as this is all I am getting?

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    114 times

Originally Posted by musojo
    Should I be able to get all of the sounds out of my roland and into the motif or only the gm sounds as this is all I am getting?

Some of your terminology...

You can't transfer sounds by midi, but you can trigger them.

So both keyboards are hooked up to your computer's soundcard or amp or something. You play the mo and it makes sounds and you set the mo so it doesn't play but sends it's midi output to the other keyboard and the other keyboard makes sounds when you play on the mo.

That's what your wanting to do?

You may have to select voices on the other keyboard manually because changing voices (sending patch change messages) from the mo will probably be unpredictable.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I don't really want to send anything from the motif - only from the Roland to the Motif. Leaving the computer out of the equation for the moment, let's say I want to record a song on the Motif using the Motif's sequencer. When it comes to putting in the piano part, I want to use one of the patches on the Roland. If I have a midi cable coming out of the Roland and into the Motif, shouldn't I be able to set the patch on the Roland and have it play on the Motif? Or do I need to set the Motif to something to be able to read the patch?

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    114 times

I don't think you understand how the machines work.

The sounds the roland makes can only be made on the roland and the sounds the mo makes can only be made on the mo. Either one can be triggered (played) from the other one. If you have a song on the mo it's midi (no sound, only information) if you send this information to the mo it will make sound.

So you have the song on the mo and it's all playing on the mo but you route the output for the piano track out (midi) to the Roland and it will sound the piano part.

But you would need both keyboards hooked up to amp etc.

You could record the audio output from both machines on the computer and have them in one program like cubase.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Ahhhh............it's all starting to make sense. I've been thinking about it back to front. It sounds as though I'll still be able to do what I want to do but it will just require a bit more playing around and I'll have to pull it all together on the computer rather than just in the Motif's sequencer. I'll have a play around with it all and see how I go. Thank you for all your help!

Cheers,
    Jo.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Ok can we go back to the very begining? I like the sounds on the Korg microx and the controls but it's 25 keys. I would like to use it,the sounds and it's controls but use my keyboard for playing. What can I do?
    Cutter

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

The way I worked it out for mine was to connect a midi cable out of the one with the sounds I liked (ie: your Korg) and into the keyboard I wanted to use for playing. That gives me the sounds I want and I can play them on a decent keyboard. Is that what you want to do?

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    114 times

Originally Posted by Cutter
    Ok can we go back to the very begining? I like the sounds on the Korg microx and the controls but it's 25 keys. I would like to use it,the sounds and it's controls but use my keyboard for playing. What can I do?
    It would be easier if you have separate midi ports for each keyboard, but not absolutely necessary.

Your using cubase or other sequencer?

Cubase can be setup to receive remote control (add GM device under device setup) from a specific port, If you keyboard sends out midi messages when you turn the controls. (check that with midi ox)

Then just create a track and set it input to the keyboard you want to play on.

You would set local control to "off" probably on both keyboards.

Have to do some tinkering.
    I never finish a mix, just abandon it.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

No not in cubase, I just want to do it live, in other words the micorx would be the unit and the other Korg just the keys ...if that makes sense
    Cutter

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by musojo
    The way I worked it out for mine was to connect a midi cable out of the one with the sounds I liked (ie: your Korg) and into the keyboard I wanted to use for playing. That gives me the sounds I want and I can play them on a decent keyboard. Is that what you want to do?

Yes and no, I want to use the other keyboard to play but the micro has both the sounds I want and some great controls.....or maybe I can just glue the keys onto the micro
    Cutter