Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5087 times

Default Spiral Fluorescent Bulbs Noise?

Is anyone having any noise problem with the new spiral fluorescent bulbs? You know the ones that look like these:

I was nervous when I finally had to break down and make the switch because we all know the light saber style of fluorescents are a noisy mess.

Before I called the new spiral kind totally safe I wanted to get a verdict from the jury here.

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    4 times

Default Re: Spiral Fluorescent Bulbs Noise?

I've been using them for quite a while...no problems

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    9 times

I think that a lot of the noise that you get from typical flourescents comes from the ballast in the fixture. The ballasts limit the amount of current to the bulb and also step up the voltage for starting and normal operation. Ballasts do not have to put of the pretty sinusoidal waveforms that most of us are used to so the voltage that they put off has a ton of harmonic distortion. If you looked at the wave on an ocilliscope wave would look much like a saw tooth rather that a nice sine wave. The new CFL have a smaller and less offensive ballast built in and don't require the voltage that a typical flourescent uses.
    My Setup:

HP 580t Core i7 Windows 7 (64 bit) 9g Ram
    Pro Tools 11
    Focusrite Sapphite Pro 40
    Superior Drummer 2
    KRK Rokit 8's
    Seagate Freeagent Xtreme Firewire Drive
    Ozone Izotope 5
    http://www.reverbnation.com/wearewiresband

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3104 times

he new CFL have a smaller and less offensive ballast built in and don't require the voltage that a typical flourescent uses.
    Good news. I've been scared to use any in my space and too lazy to walk next to one with a plugged-in guitar.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5087 times

I think that a lot of the noise that you get from typical flourescents comes from the ballast in the fixture. The ballasts limit the amount of current to the bulb and also step up the voltage for starting and normal operation. Ballasts do not have to put of the pretty sinusoidal waveforms that most of us are used to so the voltage that they put off has a ton of harmonic distortion. If you looked at the wave on an ocilliscope wave would look much like a saw tooth rather that a nice sine wave. The new CFL have a smaller and less offensive ballast built in and don't require the voltage that a typical flourescent uses.
    Cool. Thanks. That's all I needed to go. Back to actually fun topics.

Brandon

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    2801 times

I have these all over my house and don't have any issues. But I also have the long tubes in my kitchen which is right next to my recording room and those don't give me issues either. I know very little about how house wiring is set up though, so maybe what is in my kitchen doesn't affect what is in my studio.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    433 times

I recall an incident some years ago when I was setting up a band to play at a party, and there was this big florescent beer sign that caused an overwhelming buzz-like noise through the bass guitar pickup, but only within approximately a 2 meter radius and if the bass guitar was tilted a certain way toward the light source. Beyond that distance, there was no noticeable effect on the signal. BTW, the 6-string guitar at that same gig, with humbucker pickups, didn't seem to be effected by the florescent sign at all, even when right up next to it.

God Jr.
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1020 times

I have a bunch of these in my control room with no issues.