Best room to record in a home

Best room to record in a home

I was planning on getting a portable vocal booth, but someone here suggested a closet could work. I don't really have any walk in closets, so what are the qualities I should look for in choosing a room to record?

Should it be a room with no noise or one with reverb like a bathroom (where singing sounds more pleasant)?

I can try my living room, but the vocals sound pretty flat with no reverb, but is it supposed to sound flat?

2. join Win $100 In Mic Cables! Join Today! Join! It's free!

Re: Best room to record in a home

Chances are no room in your house is going to give you a nice reverb sound, so you're ognna wanna find the deadest room possible so you can add reverb artificially later on. A closet is nice because its nice and isolated and also comes standard with all sorts of noise-killing clothes inside. =P

Since you don't have a walk-in closet to use, my best suggestion would be to find the smallest, quietest room in the house and use blankets or something to prevent any ugly resonance from getting back into the mic.

Drago is right, get a flat sound.
    You may also build a blanket fort with hanging thick blankets over mic stands around the singer.

So a small carpeted room would be fine? If so, I think my bedroom might work. So the blankets should be used to prevent sound coming from any type of surface, such as a table?

Yeah, it prevents the sound from boucing off the walls and coming back into the mic. Any table should be outside this fort.

Your question is largely covered in the following book:

Acoustic Design for the Home Studio

It will answer ALL your questions and even more. Give it a shot, I swear you will not be disappointed.

Pat

Love that book! After reading it, I laughed at myself at what I though would be good room sound.

Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries

what are the qualities I should look for in choosing a room to record?
    The room must sound good and it must be comfortable for the singer. That's really it.

Should it be a room with no noise or one with reverb like a bathroom (where singing sounds more pleasant)?
    That's up to you. Some classic vocals have been recorded in very live rooms but most people generally gravitate towards the dead rooms.

I can try my living room, but the vocals sound pretty flat with no reverb, but is it supposed to sound flat?
    Depends on what your definiion of "flat". It's most common to record fairly dead and then add ambiance later.

Since you don't have a walk-in closet to use, my best suggestion would be to find the smallest, quietest room in the house and use blankets or something to prevent any ugly resonance from getting back into the mic.
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend "smallest" but I agree with everything else.

You should try every room in your house to see if any do happen to sound good. I don't like the idea of giving up without trying as you may have a goldmine.