• x 1 Post By jkuehlin
  • x 1 Post By dgarner
  • x 1 Post By dgarner

Thread: Rane Ms-1a vs Ms-1b vs Ms-1s

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    773 times

Default Rane Ms-1a vs Ms-1b vs Ms-1s

Eh, can someone smarter than me, who knows how a preamp works tell me if there's a difference? And which one is theoretically the best design? I see an 's', an 'a', and a 'b' in the series.
    dgarner likes this.
    All I ask for...is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy

Mega Member
    Liked
    384 times

Default Re: Rane Ms-1a vs Ms-1b vs Ms-1s

Ok JK just looking at the schematics there all the same design they just added the following.

ms1 orginal design

ms1a added c31 changed c1&c2 to smt

ms1b changed r1 to a 14mm pot( this is your gain pot)

ms1s is the final revision in 2001 moved the d4 in the power supply

the really isnt much difffernce but most of the changes were done just before the Z1 op amp this would be basically the gain structure input they must of

tweaked the incoming signal to match the inst amp to get the proper bais as not to distort the signal i would chose the final version the ms1s.
    bozmillar likes this.

Mega Member
    Liked
    384 times

I just found a new schematic of the ms1s they changed it quite a bit it a much simpler design and added a bridge rectifier on the power supply.

this was interesting i found in the manual

DIGITAL RECORDING AND SAMPLING
    Another handy use for the MS1S is in recording applications. Many popular
    products do not have a high enough quality mic preamp to suit the resolution
    of the digital processing electronics. Such irony. Using the ultra low noise
    MS1S to bring the mic inputs up to extremely high quality line-level is an
    easy and affordable solution for this dilemma. No garbage in; no garbage out.
    Clippity-clop; clippity-clop
    garww likes this.

Mega Member
    Liked
    384 times

This got me thinking...brandon had mentioned some preamp chips from that corp i could see using this circuit and working these into it but make it 8 channels with a usb bus out to the pc i no he talks about his rane stuff quite a bit

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

This has been on my to do list.

For a person not into resistors and chips, the short version is, "Yes, they changed stuff." I'm into the nerdy end and decided to build a kit with the THAT1510 chip they use in the MS1S just to hear what I GUESS is a THAT1510 preamp done right. I know my single Rane Ms1b was "done right". We'll see if the one in the mail sounds the same. I know identical chips can sound quite different. I'm about to sell the M-Audio DMP3 as it doesn't have the thing that the Rane MS1b does. (I should probably measure to quantify the difference.)

I don't know how the Rane MS1S sounds. On paper the THAT1510 is a hair better than the INA163 used in the MS1B. Personally, I'd be more interested in the engineer(s) who designed it and if they were going through a divorce. If the humans involved with the MS1b were on their game with the MS1s, I expect it to be identical. I've heard a touch of cloudiness in a few other THAT1510 clips which I'm not sure is another factor or the preamp itself.

I'll probably shell out the $200 for an MS1s on Ebait soon, but I'm backed up and trying not to plan an experiments until I get caught up. I figured after the Super Secret $51 Preamp vs $2,000 Martech MSS-10 | Home Recording Blog more people would be interested in the Rane issue. I can't explain that, but I don't really care. By definition, a "sleeper" tool doesn't get a person any status.

Brandon

Blog Entries
    Liked
    3011 times

Owning an SM57 doesn't get you any sort of "status" either, but it's still generally a good idea. The "status" thing is more of a class warfare issue. If you don't have a $1000+ Neumann mic, people know you aren't just blowing cash on reputable gear, so you're lower class. Same with a Neve preamp. A culture has built up around pricey reputable gear that means if you want to on the "in" group, you need it. Is it solid, usable gear? Yes, of course it is. So is the SM57. The 57 is just inexpensive, so there's no class issue around it because almost anyone can afford one. It's roughly a month or two of phone bills for most people.

If the Rane is a solid preamp it'll never reach the same status as a Neve, just like the SM57 doesn't have the same status as a Neumann. Who cares? I'll happily use my Shure mics and make music.
    Yes, another song about dying.
    The Dim Trail-End. Please bash!

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

The SM57 is a slight exception in that a bunch of big guys claim to use it on snare, guitars, and sometimes vocals. A $49 Radio Shack mic could be identical in virtually every way, but DEFINITELY won't get the same approval.

I understand the trust factor. There are only so many hours in a day and a person can't try EVERYTHING. So you lean on this or that reputation and give it a go. My gig here lets me do much more experimentation that I would otherwise. I don't have a problem with a guy using a U87 > 1073. I've just heard to many shitty recordings done with that signal chain to think it has any magic in it.

Brandon

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    131 times

I remember being at Fender museum in Cali, and Leo mentioned brand name recognition was the hardest thing of all to get the biz going.
    Shure, Fender, Nuemann they made it work, with help of big names using their gear.
    Im so old I recall WalMart being the underdog... the Robin Hood... now they're lambasted regularly for polluting society...weird how that happens.
    "I may try it, because why not?" seafroggys
    Disowner: songwriter setup only, recording gearhead
    Tascam1641, Line6UX2, Joe Meek VC3, ISAOne, a SM7, a SM57 another SM57, MXLcondser, crap mics with tape, REAPER/plugs, KRK V6/Focal tweets Surf CityUSA, YSM1P Canada, RadioShack 7, Squier Jazz, Squier 51, US Fender Stratocaster, Takamine acoustic guitar, shaker, DR5, amps, cables, PA, rack stuff..a bunch of wine and some cigars..