Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Is this the perfect control room / live room scenario

Hey There,

Ok, Ive been thinking about it. Would the perfect control room or recoding space be in the middle of a paddock, with no walls, ceilings or reflective suffaces. Obviously this is not practicle but would it be ideal, acousticaly speaking.

Cheers

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Is this the perfect control room / live room scenario

Originally Posted by scribe
    Hey There,

Ok, Ive been thinking about it. Would the perfect control room or recoding space be in the middle of a paddock, with no walls, ceilings or reflective suffaces. Obviously this is not practicle but would it be ideal, acousticaly speaking.

Cheers
    Interesting idea but it might only be workable in the middle of the Simpson Desert. I don't like getting my gear wet and even Bill Gates couldn't afford the utility bills to heat/cool that studio.

With zero wind it would be an excellent monitoring 'room' however, for tracking I actually like to work with the sound of a room. Over the years I have adopted the practice of blending the room in rather than fighting it, so, if that was no longer an element of the mix I might feel a bit lost and lonely.

"Something’s missing....what could it be?"

I have mixed live shows outdoors and they can be wonderful on a still night but diabolical when the wind kicks in.

The theory is sound but in practice I think we might lose some of those magic moments. You know the ones.
    Like when, for no apparent reason, the guitar just seems to sound like the voice of (Insert favourite deity here) or when that normally uninspiring drum kit seems to explode and take on its own life or when the BV dude suddenly puts the lead to shame (more work....get vocalist back and redo takes....!).

As a self confessed control freak, part of me loves the idea of a totally predictable environment however; I am also a person that gets bored quickly so I love the unexpected and the occasional challenge. If I always knew which mic and position would sound the best, then I might as well ask "Do you want fries with that".......Dig?

I know Brandon complains about his recording room at home (he has mentioned it several times) but I bet he has done something in there (be it a complete track or just the sound of some dude's floor tom), which for whatever reason, would knock his socks off if he heard it again. It is sometimes hard to appreciate what you have created when you are so close to it and, time can offer space and clarity (literally and technically).

Do I want a totally predictable monitoring/control room? Hell yeah!
    But what I want for tracking is as big a selection of recording spaces as I have microphones and your post has made me contemplate the paddock out back! (I'm on acreage). Now I will just need a longer multi-core and.....

Cheers

Baron

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

There is one flaw to this concept. The speakers in a room need to be "loaded" to produce low end. In other words, woofers need a little pressure pushing against them.

So, the low end would be all wrong in a room like this....which is usually the case with most untreated rooms as well.

Otherwise, a good theory.

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    There is one flaw to this concept. The speakers in a room need to be "loaded" to produce low end. In other words, woofers need a little pressure pushing against them.

So, the low end would be all wrong in a room like this....which is usually the case with most untreated rooms as well.

Otherwise, a good theory.

Brandon
    That is true but, that is also why PA systems get bigger and more powerful as they get lower in frequency delivery. That and the fact that the human ear has a logarithmic response curve. Our ears are not linear and that is why a 'flat' EQ'd system sounds like ass. Referencing 'Phons', we apply correction to compensate for the non linearity of the human ear. That is unfortunately why a lot of DJs end up with the evil 'smiley face' EQ curve on their GEQs. This is usually a hangover from using badly spec'd systems. A properly spec'd system has this compensation designed in.

If you had a control room like this you would probably have some serious subs and woofers. Think AC/DC or similar gig

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

Right, you could overcome these issues with sheer power, but that presents it's share of problems. Like, who in the hell can afford a 10,000 watt powered subwoofer system at studio monitor quality?

Brandon

Liked
    464 times

If you want to monitor without walls or ceiling (or floors) use headphones.