1Likes
  • x 1 Post By rook2c4

Thread: Percussion from film music

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Percussion from film music

Hi!

I am trying to find out what kind percussion is being used in this clip @ 2:41

It's really a type of sound that is used in a lot of horror movies (and action/thrillers too). I heard it a lot of times. It is used in the movie "Valentine". You can hear it at 2:41 in this clip which is from the film itself.

Link to Valentine clip: Valentine Soundtrack - Track 01

I'm not talking about the timpani heavy drum, but the intense short and loud metallic kind of sound on top of it with the reverb. It's a strong kind of sound and it reminds me of a metallic pipe being hit against a floor or something like that. Perfect for horror and thriller score.

Another example is from Aliens (1986) in the piece "Bishop's Countdown". In this example you can hear it already from the very start of the clip. It's less pronounced but this time it appears more often than in the first clip. You can hear it as a part of the general percussion.

Link to Aliens clip: Aliens OST 17.Bishop's Countdown - YouTube

The reason I'm looking for this is because I plan to use this sound in one of my own compositions/mix. Does anyone know what kind of percussion this is? And I would also be interested in finding a sample library that contains this sort of sound, if there is one.

I hope someone can help me on this!

Ole
    Last edited by superbolli; 10-15-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    433 times

Default Re: Percussion from film music

bozmillar likes this.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Liked
    876 times

That sounds suspiciously like an "orchestral hit" alla Yes - "Owner of a Lonely Heart". It's essentially tutti stacatto - with piccolo - that's what you're hearing cut through at the top end with a reverb tail.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3111 times

I like how the moron that posted the Valentine" clip decided himself:
    The soundtrack is by Don Davis for the film "Valentine." No copyright
    On the sound effect: #1 gunshot, #2 ?, #3 sounds like a stock prison door closing sound.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    2896 times

Originally Posted by rook2c4
    I never realized an anvil was a common percussion instrument.

To me it sounds like any sort of metallic object with massive amounts of reverb, be it an anvil, a pipe, a jail cell door, or whatever. Whenever I hear this, I picture it being a pipe, but I think any massive atonal metal object will do.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3111 times

Originally Posted by bozmillar
    I never realized an anvil was a common percussion instrument.
    "The Anvil Chorus"?! Duh.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    433 times

I suppose for film soundtracks today, a sample of just about anything could be used, it doesn't necessarily need to be a specific real-world instrument, such as an orchestral anvil. Whatever get's the job done to create the desired atmospheric effect.

Only once have I seen an anvil in action within the context of a full orchestra arrangement - some years ago a live performance on television. It didn't really look like what one normally imagines a typical anvil to look like; it was basically just a big metal block.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you for all the help and suggestions! I guess I will try to find a good anvil sample out there and also layer it with a bass drum, which I hope will do the job

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5245 times

While I'm a complete dumbass about the orchestra world, I'm not getting the orchestra vibe from that one.

That type of sound is found in Stormdrum (which definitely has some badass sounds). You may want to check out this thread: Stormdrum vs Damage

Thread Info

Recording Toys And Tactics Thread, Percussion from film music in Recording Engineers / Producers; Hi! I am trying to find out what kind percussion is being used in this clip @ 2:41 It's really ...