Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

Default Not Impressed With New Audio Technica ATH-M50s

Hey dudes/chicks,

I've recommended the ATH-M50s time and time again. My original pair (bought in 2008) was outstanding. I couldn't be happier. I picked up four more sets recently and they are NOT the same. They are dramatically darker sounding and not as deeper either. One of the sets was DOA, although sometimes shit happens.

I noticed that the cord has changed from the coiled type to the straight type, if that helps you.

So it looks like I'll have to make a new headphone recommendation.

Brandon

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    101 times

Default Re: Not Impressed With New Audio Technica ATH-M50s

That sucks. DOA is hard to believe for a set of headphones.

I ordered mine two years ago and was given a choice of coiled vs straight.

Did you order from the same source this time around ?

Liked
    0 times

There are two versions on the market, the M-50 which have a coiled cable and the M-50s which have a straight cable. They're basically the same headphones but with different cables. Maybe Audio-Technica lowered the quality of these because they sell... I was thinking of getting a pair, thanks for the heads up Brandon.

EDIT: Has anyone tried the beyerdynamic dt-990 pro??
    Last edited by kiCkfLipz; 11-19-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

For years I have used AT as my choice in headphones. I bought two pairs of ATH-M50's for work and sent them back the very next day. I ended up getting AKG K240 and AKG K701's. The K701's (open back) I will be getting for my home studio soon, they are very accurate. The K240's are very nice as well, time tested standards.
    Also, got a new AT4050 for work. The microphones are losing their quality as well. Disappointed in Audio Technica right now, hope they fix it soon.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Pro Tools LE 8 - Mbox 2 Pro
    Digital Performer 7 - MOTU 8 Pre
    TASCAM X-48
    Alesis HD24
    Mackie HR824
    Izotope Ozone 4
    Izotope Alloy
    AEA R84, AKG C414, AKG C3000, AT4033/CL, Audix D6, D4, D2, Bluebird, Neumann KM184, Royer 121, Shure SM81, SM57, Beta52, ST55
    AEA RPQ, HV-3C
    MacBook Pro

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

The microphones are losing their quality as well.
    Really? I've never encountered that one and a few of my early mics have been through hell and back.

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    3 times

I bought a pair of them for mixing based on your recommendation and mixed a couple of songs with them. Then I got my monitors out of storage and bought power cables and such and got them going, and they revealed some major problems in those mixes. I think the headphones might still be OK for tracking, but they don't show enough detail for mixing.

Then again, my monitors might be questionable. This review from Sound on Sound about them is not flattering.

M AUDIO SP5B

But all the other reviews I found were positive, including this one from Mix Magazine.

M-Audio SP-5B Studio Monitors Field Test-Mix reviews the M-Audio SP-5B Studio Monitors

Plus, I still need to do the whole "cardtable" thing and make sure they are placed properly.

But at the moment, I think you are right to question continuing to recommend the Audio Technica ATH-50's for mixing.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    21 times

Why would they lower the quality?

It even seems strange to me that they change anything at all, since they have gotten lots of lots good feedback.

I dont question the fact that they did change,

but i dont exactly get the "Why would audio technica do such a thing"...

I bought my pair 2008 i think they are incredible. I also have a pair of AKG 271 MKII and altough they sound nicer and are way more comfortable, the Audio Technica's seem to be a lot more accurate, with deeper bass response.

Thats a big "damnit!" right there

Hope they get it fixed.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    Really? ... a few of my early mics have been through hell and back.

Brandon
    We have 12 AT4040's, 6 AT4033/CL's, and 4 AT4050's as well as a few AT4041's and AT4022's, and I own two AT4033/CL's. Over the years they have been dropped (not mine), mic stands have been knocked over, one drank coffee, etc. they have always worked as good as the day we got them. When we got the replacement 4050, I compared it to the other 3. There was a noticable difference in sound. To be fair, I usually get them in matched pairs and did not this time which I am sure has an affect. But, with the headphone issue and now that mic...just a little disappointed.

I will continue to use, buy, and recommend AT mics, as they have served me well over the past 12 years. Just a little disappointed, thats all.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Pro Tools LE 8 - Mbox 2 Pro
    Digital Performer 7 - MOTU 8 Pre
    TASCAM X-48
    Alesis HD24
    Mackie HR824
    Izotope Ozone 4
    Izotope Alloy
    AEA R84, AKG C414, AKG C3000, AT4033/CL, Audix D6, D4, D2, Bluebird, Neumann KM184, Royer 121, Shure SM81, SM57, Beta52, ST55
    AEA RPQ, HV-3C
    MacBook Pro

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

Why would they lower the quality?

It even seems strange to me that they change anything at all, since they have gotten lots of lots good feedback.

I dont question the fact that they did change,

but i dont exactly get the "Why would audio technica do such a thing"...
    Well, I don't think anyone says, "Ha! Ha! I'll ruin AT" and then runs into the factory and turns the quality knob down.

However, there are a zillion trillion external forces in business land that cause problems. Maybe some kind of rubber isn't available anymore or maybe a country when communist and took away it's factory and they had to go elsewhere. There are a billion factors involved.

Just to see if I was crazy, I A/B'd the new headphones with the old ones. The difference is a ZILLION.

I will continue to use, buy, and recommend AT mics, as they have served me well over the past 12 years. Just a little disappointed, thats all.
    Well, for what it's worth, disappointment happens with most products. At least with the AT stuff, it didn't cost a zillion in the first place. My Soundelux U99 died on me about a year ago. I've just not made the time or found someone who could fix it for me. That's a $2,600 paper weight. This happens with other gear I own as well. My Manley TNT has a few bugs on features that I rarely use and I don't make time to ship it. So I just live with it. So...I'm not ragging on AT too much. I just didn't want anyone to buy the headphones based on my opinion on what was essential a different product.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

Yes maybe some materials are not available anymore but it's not a rare case that big companies change
    some parts in order to increase their profit, especially with products that have a good reputation.

I know they do it first hand and I'm not talking about AT, I'm just guessing they might have done it. Who knows...

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    43 times

Just to see if I was crazy, I A/B'd the new headphones with the old ones. The difference is a ZILLION.
    Are they fakes? That just sounds so unusual. There are fakes being sold.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    347 times

How bad do they sound exactly? I bought a pair this past summer and they sound excellent to me. Granted I'm a bit of a newb who probably doesn't know the difference, but you make it sound as though they're sort of bad in general. Also, I can't say my pair are "dark" even considering my lack of experience. Perhaps the change in quality happened since mine were manufactured.
    Signature

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

How bad do they sound exactly?
    Ummm. I'd say they are a 4 out of 10. It's almost dark enough to wonder if something is broken, but not quite. I may be a little picky here. Maybe they sound like what I'd expect a $30 headphone to sound like.

re they fakes? That just sounds so unusual. There are fakes being sold.
    GREAT!!!!!! That's just another damn thing I have to think about!

They definitely have the right box. I'll need to look at this one.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    43 times

There is a thread on Head-Fi.org about them. I can't get to it now. The link is broken. But near the last page there was an eBay listing. Someone wrote the guy and asked if they were real. The seller replied and said no they were copies. I'm pretty sure they came with box and warranty card. Out of China of course.

It just doesn't make sense that AT would start selling something that sounded drastically different and people are still buying them ( real ATs ) and think they sound as good as always.

Just Google ATH M50 Fake. The links might work for you. If yours are not fakes and they sound that bad, I would at least send a pair back to AT and ask them what the problem is. I mean if they sound like $30 cans, something is wrong.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    347 times

Brandon, what have you found out about your new cans? I ask because I just found I had some stupid setting on my computer messing up the sound and when I turned it off it made my M50s sound completely different. Mostly it was a good thing (probably totally a good thing actually). It greatly improved the bass response, but it also lowered the highs and atm I can't tell if they're where they're supposed to be and i just need to readjust or if it has something to do with your problem. I think its just my ears cuz these definitely don't sound like $30 cans, but I'm interested in hearing what you ended up doing with your messed up cans.
    Signature

Certified Badass Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    611 times

I have NO idea if it's valid or not, but when I've looked around on other sites (audiophile type), I keep seeing mention of 'burn-in' time with headphones. Tons of guys INSIST that good quality headphones just don't start sounding right until they've had some hours of break-in time. I still don't necessarily buy into the argument, but it is VERY prevalent out there.
    What I've seen suggested is to just put them on a pc and loop some music on there and leave it running for a couple days.
    Since you have a good reference, perhaps this is a good way to test the argument. I'd love to see what you find

-holster

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2219 times

My other model At required a couple months and 100 or so drops to the floor.
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Liked
    0 times

I'm really surprised about your experience, Brandon. I'd like to hear how you ended up making out. Did you replace these? Are you still as disappointed as you expressed in your first post? I have a set of these, and I think they are absolutely incredible. Got mine about a year ago. I don't have the experience to compare them to others, but to me, they sound very accurate. Any preliminary mixes I work on with these cans seems to translate well.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    43 times

I have heard of the break-in deal from a lot of people. Some I know to be very high profile and very well educated.

I can believe it. I know I like my AT50's better now than the first day I got them. why that is I have no idea.

Tube gear is especially noted for this. I've heard it a lot about speakers to though.

Look at it this way, as long as they don't get worse you should be good to go.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2219 times

Usually, it's about mechanical things and how close the tolerences are. With mass-made electronics, it's more about component failure. Audio electronics, in general, can benefit from giving the circuits a chance to equalize (for lack of a better word).
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5226 times

I'm really surprised about your experience, Brandon. I'd like to hear how you ended up making out. Did you replace these? Are you still as disappointed as you expressed in your first post?
    It turns out the headphones aren't that bad. These fakes aren't THAT good, but they aren't that bad. The solution has been pretty simple. My real pair stays on the console with me. The fakes go to the clients. They are better than any $40 headphones I've ever had so they work well enough for no one to complain.

The burn in time may have been a factor, but if I listen to all my headphones, it's obvious which one is the real deal.

So I guess I came out okay. I got exactly what I paid for....kinda.

Brandon