Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default No sound from any VST instrument

I have CubaseSX3 on my PC and I am using a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum soundcard which has midi in and out. Yes, I am saving up for a better soundcard!

I am using Windows XP, Athlon 1.7Ghz processor, and 1GB of ram.

I use an Evolution 49 midi controller keyboard.

I can record and play back midi files using the GM soundset.

I can also record and play back midi files using the soundfonts which I load into the soundcard.

However, if I select a midi track I've created, which plays back both the ways described above, and try to use a VST instrument, I don't get any sound.

For example, I created a drum track using my keyboard and the GM drum sounds. I can play it back OK using either GM or soundfonts. When I select the LM-7 vst instrument that comes with SX3, I can see the drums being triggered on the graphical interface, but no sound comes out of the computer.

I have set the midi output on the channel to LM-7

I have selected TR 808 in the bank

Does it matter what I select as the midi input? (I've tried them all).

I read somewhere that it might be to do with ASIO, but SX3 checked my ASIO driver automatically on installation and said it was OK.

The only thing I can't understand so far in SX3, and I have read the 'Getting Started' guide, and viewed various tutorials, is the 'VST connections' thing.

When I open that up there is nothing there, either under vst inputs or vst outputs. Is that the problem, and if so, what do I do to solve it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    30 times

Default Re: No sound from any VST instrument

I used to have a problem getting drum sounds out of my midi tracks too - have you checked what drum map your system is using? You may need to load a new one so that the info (i.e. midi note-ons and what-not) your system is getting corresponds to the sounds you want it to produce.
    Let me give you an example: when I first got EZdrummer, I would set up a midi track with EZdrummer as the output, but when I imported loops from EZdrummer into the Cubase track, the sounds it produced were totally different from what I was expecting. I found out that I had to download a new midi map to tell the system that, for example, D1 should trigger the kick (or whatever - I'm not sure of the actual note values, but I hope I'm giving you the idea).
    Maybe I've missed your point and your problem may lie in something completely different... If so, sorry I wasted your time and got your hopes up

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for your quick response Tony, much appreciated.

I will look into the drum map thing.

What I will also do is try a different track with a VST instrument that isn't anything to do with drums, say, a piano, and see if that works.

Thanks again - anyone else got any suggestions?

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    113 times

Originally Posted by robbo
    The only thing I can't understand so far in SX3, and I have read the 'Getting Started' guide, and viewed various tutorials, is the 'VST connections' thing.

When I open that up there is nothing there, either under vst inputs or vst outputs. Is that the problem, and if so, what do I do to solve it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
    VST connections is where you setup your link from SX to your audio card.

So you can't play or record audio either?

I use an emu card: not sure how you go about SBcard but this is what I do:
    I setup sends from my audio cards patchbay(software) real inputs (mics, guitars). I also setup ASIO channels on my patchbay to play whats coming from SX.

In SX I have to setup a bus in the output tab of VST connections (the plus sign as I remember) then assign it to the ASIO tracks I setup in the patchbay. On the input tab I make a bus and assign it to the sends I setup in my patchbay.

You could just need to setup an output bus to hear things.
    Last edited by tacman7; 11-19-2008 at 07:36 AM.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

robbo, I sometimes run into this problem at our studio. Sometimes ( not always ), it's due to my forgetting to set up something under VST connections window.

Sometimes, you just need to make sure you have it routed correctly in the "inspector" window. We use Cubase 4, so there may be a little difference there, but the idea should be the same.

Since you say you see nothing in the VST connections window, I believe you may have to set up your particular device that you wish to use so that Cubase "sees" it. You might have to define it, name it, or choose it from a drop-down list.

It's been a while and I'm not in the studio until later this week, so keep us posted on your progress. If you still don't have it resolved when I get to the studio, I'll see what I can come up with then.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

tacman7 and Vulconizer, thanks for your replies.

I will try your suggestions today and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

It should be as simple as routing the incoming MIDI signal to a MIDI track.

Pressing F11 and grabbing your synth/sampler of choice. (For troubleshooting purposes, the stock Cubase synths are a good one.)

Make sure the output of your MIDI track is pointed to the VST instrument you've just selected.

Make sure you are using the same channel on both.

That should be the end of it.

Brandon

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    113 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    It should be as simple as routing the incoming MIDI signal to a MIDI track.

Pressing F11 and grabbing your synth/sampler of choice. (For troubleshooting purposes, the stock Cubase synths are a good one.)

Make sure the output of your MIDI track is pointed to the VST instrument you've just selected.

Make sure you are using the same channel on both.

That should be the end of it.

Brandon

I don't know Brandon, that of course needs to be done but if there is no outputs in the VST connections your audio (generated by the VSTi) wouldn't get anywhere.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Success!

I'm still not quite sure why it works now, but it does...

One thing I didn't mention originally was that I am new to Cubase SX, and rather than jumping right in, I was working my way through a tutorial book called 'Get creative with Cubase SX/SL', by Keith Gemmell. This has a number of projects in it which you work through, loading up the Cubase projects from the included CD. The project I was working on included a midi file of drums. It played fine using the GM sounds, but wouldn't play using the LM-7 VST instrument in Cubase SX3. Hence I posted my question here.

Following Tony's suggestion, I tried playing the same file using the a1 synth VSTi, but still got no sound. I could see sound going in to the VSTi, but was getting nothing out.

I also checked to see that SX was recognising my soundcard OK, which it was.

I then decided to record a basic midi track myself, so I opened a new project and did this. This worked. I was able to get sound from any of the VSTi's by doing this.

Maybe there was some reason I couldn't get VSTi sounds from the original track - can this be 'locked' in some way on tracks that you load up from tutorial CD's?

Anyway, following some of the other comments, I then tried to record an audio track, but nothing appeared on the track or came out of the speakers. Oh no!

I then remembered about the VST connections panel, so I went in there and eventually worked out (with the help of another book - see below*) how that all worked. I set up the connections, and now the audio works as well...

I had the midi working BEFORE I did anything with the VST connections.

The only other thing that I found was that Cubase SX was not using the Creative ASIO driver it should have been using. It was using one of the other ASIO drivers, and the latency was 753 milliseconds! I changed this to the Creative ASIO driver and the latency is now 10ms.

Anyway, all is now OK (for the moment), and a very big thank you to all of you for your responses and suggestions. This is a great forum!

*I found the Cubase SX documentation very difficult to understand when it came to the VST connections - I just didn't get it. I have another book on Cubase SX which I found very helpful in explaining all this, and I finally understood! Is it OK to mention the name and author of that book here? I have no connection at all with the author. I thought I should ask first.

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    113 times

I stand corrected, have to try that, delete all the VST connections and see if a VSTi works still.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

I see no problem with naming an author and book that apparently has some useful information regarding Cubase.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

The book I mentioned is:

'Fast Guide to Cubase SX' by Simon Millward.

Some of you are probably already familiar with this book. I found it particularly helpful at explaining the VST Connections setup.

Certified Badass Member
    Liked
    113 times

Originally Posted by tacman7
    I stand corrected, have to try that, delete all the VST connections and see if a VSTi works still.
    Well now I unstand corrected, or would I just sit down?

I deleted the output bus in VST connections window and no sound comes out of cubase.

So when Robbo opened a new project it created a default output bus. I don't know how he managed to have no output bus in the first place, I think you would have to delete it.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Cubase is a bit hard to understand at first but man what a work horse it is when you get a handle on it.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

Cubase has a mean streak to it. It likes to catch you napping and toss some crazy new problem at you to keep you on your toes.

Kind of like raising the urinals in your favorite bar's restroom....
    <~ Vulconizer ~>

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

The cool part is when you finally figure out WHY certain things are a pain in the ass, you said "Oh! That's brilliant!".

Brandon

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    The cool part is when you finally figure out WHY certain things are a pain in the ass, you said "Oh! That's brilliant!".

Brandon
    True, man. They usually seem to have a good reason when you finally figure them out. Not always though.

Once in a while, I think the designers just want to make the rest of us into bald mofos so they can finally score with the chicas.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Yea,
    I still have an issue with my drivers (And it all all up to date). If I let Cubase sit for a few hours while I'm in the middle of something ,I can come back and the sound is all crackling and distorted. I then go to device setup and reinitialize my asio drivers by changing something and changing it back and hit save then it's all cleared up. There are a few others like that that drive me nuts.

Liked
    464 times

This is a computer problem, not a Cubase problem. Maybe you have a process in the background that's eating up your memory over time. Screen saver? Anti-virus?

R.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

No this is a dedicated music pc with no internet no NIC enabled no anti virus or anything running. Just the bare bones to run cubase.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

I have firewire 410 and sometimes I think its just an asio driver thing. I have the newest drivers for the 410 also. And now there not even making it anymore.