Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4683 times

Default MOTU 24 I/O Reviews

Compare the best prices from all over the web on MOTU 24 I/O

Is The MOTU 24 I/O The Right Audio Interface For You?
    Find the audio interface that is perfect for you on the Home Recording Soundcard Wizard.

MOTU 24 I/O Description
    The MOTU 24I/O Core Computer Recording System provides 24 high quality, 24-bit/96kHz analog TRS I/O in a cost effective, single rack space package. This rackmount MOTU audio interface allows you to connect and record from 24 simultaneous analog sources.

The front panel is a dedicated meter bridge for your hard disk recording system displaying audio activity for every I/O with its own 5-segment LED bar graph. I/O can be operated at -10dB or +4dB. The input level can be switched via software in banks of 8 inputs. In addition, CueMix DSP provides continuously variable input trim with up to 12 dB boost per channel. The rear panel also provides Word Clock I/O.

AudioWire high-bandwidth digital audio format is capable of carrying up to 24 channels of 96kHz digital audio in and out of the computer at the same time.

The included PCI-424 card features a powerful DSP chip dedicated to creating a custom tailored monitor mix of up to 96 channels of 96kHz audio. Because the mixing takes place on the card itself the system provides the same near-zero latency performance as today's latest digital mixers. You can connect up to 4 audio interfaces to a PCI-424 in any combination to create a system that fits your needs.

The Cuemix DSP software allows you to mix multiple channels into multiple mix buses or directly assigned outputs. Manage your monitor mix with the intuitive CueMix Console software included with the 24I/O. It provides independent level and pan controls for each input on every mix. You can configure a unique mix for every physical stereo output you have available.

The PCI-424 card included with 24I/O core systems is fully compatible with legacy MOTU interfaces originally designed for the PCI-324 card. Connect any MOTU PCI interface, including the 2408mk3, 2408mkII, 2408, 1296, 1224, 24I/O, and 308. Mix and match new and legacy interfaces as you please. All connected interfaces can take full advantage of the PCI-424's CueMix DSP features.

Liked
    126 times

Thumbs up Re: MOTU 24 I/O Reviews

Quality: 10
    Built very well (although I never take it out of the rack). Superb sound. I haven't noticed any A/D converter discrepancies.

It achieves more than I intended it to achieve. I've used it many times to simultaneously track live bands. I believe the most I've tracked simultaneously was 16 tracks (9 were for drums).

The CueMix DSP is invaluable. The drummers always comment how I can get a "drummer perspective" mix for them during tracking. So when the drum does his roll, the drums roll across his headphones from left to right.

Reliability: 9
    The only problem is that I wish it was firewire. Some folks have a tough time getting the PCI-424 to work with their computer. I never had a problem with it though.

Overall Rating: 10
    I don't know what I'd do without the CueMix. It's makes everything easier on the folks recording to be able to adjust instrument levels on the fly during recording.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: MOTU 24 I/O Reviews

Quality: : 8
    The drivers are a little buggy and have to be refreshed occasionally when switch clocks frequencies. But I can't remember any lock ups using win 7 64 bit.but the hardware has been rock solid for over a year now.
    Audio: : 5
    It has a very entry level pro studio sound, poor imaging and definition in high frequencies. I added a black lion microclock II to drive the interface and it really helped a lot on both Audio input and output. Dramatic differences in imaging and clarity in high end. Definitely recommend using a clock with less jitter for this device.
    Audio with microclock: : 8
    I also am scheduled to get the audio path upgraded by black lion. Let you know what I think when it's done.
    Utility: : 10
    24 channels of I/O, I am a drummer with a big kit and it comes in real hand to have a lot of channels. This unit is very easily integrated into and DAW.

Liked
    126 times

Originally Posted by drycappuccinoguy
    Quality: : 8
    The drivers are a little buggy and have to be refreshed occasionally when switch clocks frequencies. But I can't remember any lock ups using win 7 64 bit.but the hardware has been rock solid for over a year now.
    Audio: : 5
    It has a very entry level pro studio sound, poor imaging and definition in high frequencies. I added a black lion microclock II to drive the interface and it really helped a lot on both Audio input and output. Dramatic differences in imaging and clarity in high end. Definitely recommend using a clock with less jitter for this device.
    Audio with microclock: : 8
    I also am scheduled to get the audio path upgraded by black lion. Let you know what I think when it's done.
    Utility: : 10
    24 channels of I/O, I am a drummer with a big kit and it comes in real hand to have a lot of channels. This unit is very easily integrated into and DAW.
    Good review. Thanks. I'd love to hear how the Black Lion upgrade goes.
    How did you add the microclok II?
    I can't afford to send my MOTU 24 I/O in to Black Lion and have it upgraded. Too much time lost.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

It was pretty easy I just plugged the BNC cable into the back of the 24 i/o and set the driver to use external clock. You just have to remember to set the external clock correctly to match what your driver thinks it is using. Otherwise, It would be the same with any other word clock. After addingthe clock my cymbals sounds improved dramatically they are so much more detailed now. And the imaging is so much better. I hear you on parting with it for a few weeks. I am just starting to market my services so not yet that busy. I thought about getting a 2408 mk 3 to hold me till it returned and then have it modded later but I really do need additional features that bad.

Liked
    126 times

It was pretty easy I just plugged the BNC cable into the back of the 24 i/o and set the driver to use external clock. You just have to remember to set the external clock correctly to match what your driver thinks it is using. Otherwise, It would be the same with any other word clock. After addingthe clock my cymbals sounds improved dramatically they are so much more detailed now. And the imaging is so much better. I hear you on parting with it for a few weeks. I am just starting to market my services so not yet that busy. I thought about getting a 2408 mk 3 to hold me till it returned and then have it modded later but I really do need additional features that bad.
    Thanks. I just order the Mk2.
    TonyB

Liked
    126 times

I installed the black lion microclock II. Doesn't work. MOTU goes crazy; just "spins" between 44.1, 48, and 96." Never settles while there is annoying loud white noise.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

I have occasionaly gotten the MOTU into that state before. Make sure you have the clock set to the desired freq. use the motu control panel to set to external clock and make sure the driver is set to the desired frequency. You may need to turn off and back on the motu. Note that I have also had this issue when not using the clock. Usially when the clock rate changes. If you are using windows then it is very helpful to turn all windows sounds off, or route them through another audio interface, windows will keep trying to change your sample rat to 44.1 to play its sounds. Once all the setting match it should work. I usually have to refresh the driver when I change the clock rate. Once the clock rate is set and in synch it should be rock solid.

Liked
    0 times

If that works then try listening to something you have recorded with the internal clock and then the external. You should hear a significant difference. You should also record something with the internal clock and then record it again with the same set up with the external clock. You should hear a significant difference there as well.

Liked
    126 times

I have occasionaly gotten the MOTU into that state before. Make sure you have the clock set to the desired freq. use the motu control panel to set to external clock and make sure the driver is set to the desired frequency. You may need to turn off and back on the motu. Note that I have also had this issue when not using the clock. Usially when the clock rate changes. If you are using windows then it is very helpful to turn all windows sounds off, or route them through another audio interface, windows will keep trying to change your sample rat to 44.1 to play its sounds. Once all the setting match it should work. I usually have to refresh the driver when I change the clock rate. Once the clock rate is set and in synch it should be rock solid.
    Okay, so to track in 96khz I send the switch to "48 x 2?"

There is no setting for 96 on the BLA unit itself.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

Yes exactly. 88.2 is 44.1 x2 and 192 is 48x3 is 192 (not sure why not x4).
    The resetting is probably needed because the protocol between the 24 i/o on 424 might not handle error recovery well. The are now 3 things to synchronize the 424 the 24 i/o and the clock. I understand the clock is simple a 96k square-wave and there is no other communication between the clock and the 24 i/o other than this signal so the clock cannot be controlled by the driver. My guess is that there are 2 clocks on 192kz and one 186.4kx and the switch switches the clock and the nob is a divider. 192/4=48, 192/2=96, 186.4/2 = 88.2 and 186.4/4 =44.1. At least having that model in my head helps me remember.

Let me know how it works for you. I have found that both playback and recording are greatly improved.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I use the older version of this interface, the 24i. It rocks... but about a year ago I had to rebuild my system (motherboard fried), and my old 324 card would not work. Since then, I've tried 2 different 424 cards with no luck.

Just curious what 424 card most people are using. I've tried the pci-424 and the pciX-424. I am looking for a pci-e-424, but have not given in to the $300 for a damn card.

Liked
    0 times

I have a new system with only PCI Express slots. I am using the PCIe424 with no issues on 64 bit win 7. Although I did have to update my bios for it to work. Not MOTUs fault but if you have a new system you might update the BIOS and get the latest patches and drivers for the card.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Well, I know that I'm on a windows XP 32 bit system... think I'll have to update the BIOS for that too? You have no idea how many times I'd loaded, unloaded, updated, installed and uninstalled these freakin drivers. I really really hope the pci-e will work.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Mookdawg,

Make sure you have the latest moth drivers to avoid the 'date related bug'. I too rebuilt my rig on a whole new pc, upgraded from the 324 to the 424 and still had problems. Then I found out about the bug in the software!

Mat