• x 2 Post By brandondrury

Thread: Ilok2 - problems with license authorization

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

Default Ilok2 - problems with license authorization

I run win7 64bit with 32bit cubase 5.

I recently bought steven slate VVC and I have a hard time with ilok2 ( it fails to authorize my licenses).

I installed Ilok2 & VVC. when I want to run the vvc in cubase I get the error message : Authorization failed : VVC cannot run ( for details open the attached image Slate Digital Helpdesk ). What I tried to do already: I turned off the firewall,reinstall the ilok drivers, reinstall the VVC, erased settings, erased it's things in registry, then reinstalled it again and no succes. Then I reinstalled the cubase and I still got the same message..I even downloaded reaper (free one), to see if the problem is in cubase, but still the same results.

I downloaded the demo of FGX ( req ilok1) and it worked well, then I downloaded the demo of RC-Tube(req ilok2), to see if it works, and I got the same message as with the VVC.

I hope you can help me guys..
    Attached Images Attached Images x 

Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Liked
    139 times

Default Re: Ilok2 - problems with license authorization

Is it possible the ilok2 is defective?
    Tascam-1800,Yamaha Hs-50M monitors w/HS 10 sub, Cubase 6, win 7 64bit 3.30ghz 12 gb ram. MXL990/991, shure sm57, cad 7 pro drum mics,hercules dj controller, M-AUDIO oxygen61 controller.Understanding wife, 5 dogs who love music, and a goal for success.

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

I hope it's not, I bought it today...

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    242 times

Here's something to help troubleshoot the problem (if you haven't already done so).

Assuming that you have properly registered your iLok key on their website, insert your iLok and sign in with your user ID and password at iLok USB key - iLok.com. Ilok will read your iLok key and display your licenses.

Click on the 'show' tab. This should display all of the licenses that are on your iLok key.

If you downloaded the VCC license to your iLok correctly, VCC should appear in the list of licenses. In addition, the expiration should be 'never'.

If VCC does not appear like this, your iLok key did not upload the license properly from the internet. That should at least help determine whether the license is actually on your iLok key or not.

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Liked
    2392 times

Something else, possibly. Are you sure that your system and VVC are compatible with iLok 2? I believe there are some newer plugins that *require* iLok 2, which sucks if you only have iLok 1 and don't want to buy another iLok just for a couple new plugins. So in reverse, VVC license might not be compatible with iLok 2, only iLok 1?

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    242 times

All of the Slate stuff is compatible with iLok 2, Stan.

I use an iLok 2 for my VCC and FG-X plugs and they work fine with my Cubase 5 using Windows.

I have heard a lot of complaints about how tricky it is using iLok auths, but if you go slow and you come to understand the iLok website, it all makes sense in the end.

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Liked
    2392 times

Yeah the iLok system has always worked well for me, no problems. Just the anticipation of buying a couple of new plugins, and luckily I checked the specs which said they require iLok 2 and mine are version 1. The plugins weren't a "must have" and I didn't want to buy an iLok 2 just for that, so I passed it by. Hopefully u2 can get help from Slate support or iLok to resolve the problem.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5131 times

You are like the 10th dude I've heard specifically having problems with VCC and the Ilok2. I'd get ahold of Slate. My gut says this is on their end.

Brandon

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    242 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    My gut says this is on their end.
    Don't use your 'gut'. Use your analytical brain!

I suspect that Slate is supplying perfectly adequate downloadable files. Perhaps you are experiencing a case of user error in your iLok authorization process.
    Last edited by Bigduggieface; 12-15-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

on the ilok site I can see all my licenses,so they are properly transfered to the ilok2, but I still get the same problem.

Liked
    16 times

I has similar problems, and I had to use an older browser. Went thru all the same stuff as you, using Chrome. Used the older browser and no problems.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5131 times

Don't use your 'gut'. Use your analytical brain!
    If my gut was emotion-based, you'd have a point. The analytical brain, that little guy up there needing hard logic (2+2=4, etc) fails way too many times when computers are involved. Anyone who's done this long enough knows that simply restarting a computer 10 times can solve WAY too many problems. It shouldn't solve any.

I don't know the neuroscience behind intuition, but to dismiss it is to dismiss all Nick Nolte detective movies. It's obvious that I'm right.

In regard to user error, there's not a lot to screw up. Maybe a very specific procedure was missed in the install, but other than that, this isn't missile ballistics. Add plugin authoriation to Ilok2. Install plugin. Use. Done....normally. That fact that this is "normally" and not "always" shows that the hard logic of computers is not infallible.

Lastly, how does your post help the OP? What's logical about posting something that doesn't provide any hints to solving the problem (wrong or right)? As far as that's concerned, if talking to yourself with your hands together and your eyes closed got Slate to work, I say DO IT!

I has similar problems, and I had to use an older browser. Went thru all the same stuff as you, using Chrome. Used the older browser and no problems.
    I also remember that Ilok had very specific browser requirements. I can't imagine what these jokers (and I mean that as negatively as could possibly be taken) are doing that would require such specific browsers, but they don't make the point clear enough on the website. It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain that I had to find an old version of Firefox as the newer Firefox versions were having problems.

Brandon
    Last edited by brandondrury; 12-16-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

OK here is the solution( someone might find it useful) :

the trick is they tell you to download the client installer & the driver installer. However, what I didn' t know was the client also includes some older driver, and this one cause the driver installation painful, giving you errors.
    YOU SHOULD INSTALL THE DRIVER FIRST , then the client, or the thing won't work ( ilok1 licenses work but ilok2 licenses won't) .

if you screw up the process you're gonna have to erase all the PACE anti piracy folders, registry entries + some c++ stuff that gets installed with the ilok drivers& software.

and then reinstall the proper way that I described.
    brandondrury and Stan_Halen like this.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5131 times

Wow! Thanks for the heads up.

These guys do nothing but sell USB flash drives for 20x their cost and write drivers and they can't get the damn drivers right. Sigh.

Brandon

Blog Entries
    Liked
    362 times

I've been trying to get an iLok2 to work reliably with my 2011 iMac for several weeks now. original ilok always worked perfect but I sold it along with pro tools and got this iLok2 from slate.

My ilok isn't defective, it works on my other mac and my friends 2 macs just as it should. My friends ilok2 doesn't work here either. It's not the slate plugin because its also a fail with Podfarm.

For the moment, I just can't use my ilok plugins. Being without my iMac in the middle of two album projects is even worse.
    I don't make music to impress engineers.
    | www.EPICSounds.ca | www.AudioGeekZine.com | www.HomeRecordingShow.com |

Blog Entries
    Liked
    362 times

Originally Posted by u2redlight
    OK here is the solution( someone might find it useful) :

the trick is they tell you to download the client installer & the driver installer. However, what I didn' t know was the client also includes some older driver, and this one cause the driver installation painful, giving you errors.
    YOU SHOULD INSTALL THE DRIVER FIRST , then the client, or the thing won't work ( ilok1 licenses work but ilok2 licenses won't) .

if you screw up the process you're gonna have to erase all the PACE anti piracy folders, registry entries + some c++ stuff that gets installed with the ilok drivers& software.

and then reinstall the proper way that I described.
    on my system there were times where it seemed to work for a few hours to a day then it would break again. Good luck sir!

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

I think the new driver ( ilok2 one) did not overwrite the old one 100%. that might be the case. Did you tried to reach the Ilok support?

I'm not too familiar with Macs
    Last edited by u2redlight; 12-19-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    362 times

Originally Posted by u2redlight
    I think the new driver ( ilok2 one) did not overwrite the old one 100%. that might be the case. Did you tried to reach the Ilok support?

I'm not too familiar with Macs
    I've got about 30 emails back and forth with Sergio at iLok support. He was giving emotional support more than anything though! haha I think he's mailing me an original iLok for all my trouble.

I uninstalled all my plugins, removed all ilok software and deleted remaining folders, ran system diagnostics, etc etc.

Very frustrating. Wasted way too many hours on this.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5131 times

Very frustrating. Wasted way too many hours on this.
    I think what tests my patience the most with this Ilok business is the fact that I have to go through this extra bs BECAUSE I paid for it. The cracked plugins have none of this junk. While I realize we need scarcity for this economic system to work, I have a hard time with the fact that those not paying for plugins get additional time-saving luxuries.

Brandon
    Audio~Geek and u2redlight like this.

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

I think what tests my patience the most with this Ilok business is the fact that I have to go through this extra bs BECAUSE I paid for it. The cracked plugins have none of this junk. While I realize we need scarcity for this economic system to work, I have a hard time with the fact that those not paying for plugins get additional time-saving luxuries.

Brandon
    I was thinking the same thing, companies pay for some protection patent & try to complicate our lifes with some stupid usb thing and million ways how to authorize products and on the other hand everything gets cracked anyway. Serious producers who run their studio's to earn some money are indeed serious and own licensed software, so they're gonna pay for products & expect them to work as soon as they install it to the computer.

They spend too much time on making their product piracy-safe and forget about errors that their customers are about to have. after the sales drop, you get fix1, then fix2, then fix3, and boom here comes the new version, and the process repeats.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5131 times

Yeah, there's gotta be a better way. I know Reaper's model makes you feel guilty every time you open it, but doesn't actually charge you up front. That seems very wise to me.

I wonder how much companies spend on the licenses and Ilok features? Is this a significant amount? It seams you could do away with all of that and recoup quite what little $$$ you make by preventing piracy. As mentioned, no one seems to know how stop their plugins from being hacked and uploaded to Torrent. So what's the point?

Brandon

Liked
    16 times

I was not happy spending another $50 to be able to use the software I already paid for, seemed like they were making me pay for their security.

But it does seem like a good solution for being able to use the software on more then one computer.

Gold-Plated Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    67 times

I got this private message :
    Originally Posted by lelahel
    hi
    i bought rc tube one month ago and wasn't able to run it
    had always the error message : vcc rc tube cannot run...
    please tell me how do you resolved this problem step by step
    thanks

for win 7 64bit :

1. un-install both the client & driver
    2. go to registry and clean all the PACE anti-piracy stuff
    3. go to add/remove program in your control pannel & uninstall visual c++ Redistri...
    4. uninstall microsoft visual c++ redistribu...and leave only 2005 ones and 1 x86 and one 64x
    5. go to computer and in search field enter PACE and erase all the PACE folders
    6. reboot
    7. download the latest driver from ilok site. Install the driver first, then the client
    8. pray for 6 days
    9 turn on the computer and the thing should work.

*point 8 is a joke!

Liked
    1 times

followed all the steps
    still the same problem !