Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default I have the MXL 990 Mic What else do i need?

So I have the Mic (MXL 990) and the Mic Cord.

What else do I need to start recording to my computer with best possible sound quality? I would like to stay as cheap as possible (under $1000) But will spend more if i need to...

*Note* this is for recording hip-hop vocals.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    97 times

Default Re: I have the MXL 990 Mic What else do i need?

You have a mic and a cord, so you'll need a simple 1 or 2 channel interface that
    has mic inputs and phantom power for your condenser mic.

Link to some examples: Shop Pro Audio, Computers & Peripherals, Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

A good set of headphones and/or a pair of studio monitors are nice to have.

You will need recording software (daw), some interfaces come bundled with a limited edition version.
    Some of the more common ones are: cubase, reaper, audacity, logic.
    Audacity is free, Reaper is really cheap.

Starting out, I would not spend $1000, but would stick to a lower priced interface until you get better at the process.

Brandon's book is free and is a great introduction into home recording: The Ultimate Getting Started Guide for Home Recording

Stop back often and ask a lot of questions.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you for the reply. I read that my mic need phantom power? What is this? Also I will need to be able to plug in 4 sets of headphones so we can all hear us and the music as we record... Can any one of those audio interfaces you pointed me to do that?

Also I read that recording onto the computer through USB makes the quality bad. How else Can i record onto the computer?

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    97 times

Phantom power is a 48volt dc charge that is supplied by the interface to power internal circuitry in the condenser mic.

Most of the 2 channel interfaces only have one or two headphone outputs.
    You would need to get a headphone distribution amp to drive that many headphones.
    Example Link: Buy Behringer AMP800 MiniAMP 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifier | Headphone Amplifiers | Musician's Friend

USB does not affect the quality of the sound, it's just digital data.
    So much inaccurate information on the internet.

Firewire or a pci/e card are also popular audio interface options.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Alright so just to get my facts staight...

1) My audio interface must have a 48vold dc charge.
    2) I also need a headphone distribution amp.

And how it works is:
    1) The mic connects to the auto interface.
    2) The audio interface connects to my computer.
    3) The audio interface also connects to the headphone distribution amp.

My last question is what cords will i need to make this all happen?

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    97 times

Originally Posted by dubs89
    Alright so just to get my facts staight...

1) My audio interface must have a 48vold dc charge.
    2) I also need a headphone distribution amp.

And how it works is:
    1) The mic connects to the auto interface.
    2) The audio interface connects to my computer.
    3) The audio interface also connects to the headphone distribution amp.

My last question is what cords will i need to make this all happen?
    Yes, if you want to use your mic (mxl 990) your interface must have phantom power.

Your connection scheme is correct.

As for cords...

You have a mic cord, the interface should come with either a usb or firewire cord.

The cords required for the connection between your interface and headphone amp will most likely be 2 trs to trs connectors. Depending on your interface and headphone amp choice.

Liked
    51 times

Originally Posted by JayGee
    A good set of headphones and/or a pair of studio monitors are nice to have.
    If you'll be mixing your songs a good pair of monitors won't just be nice, it'll be an absolute necessity. Once your tracks are recorded, good studio monitors will be your most important piece of equipment!!
    But if you won't be mixing, then just closed back monitor headphones(closed so you have no bleed in your recordings) will suffice.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used." --Craig Anderton

"Love Thy Neighbor, But Don't Get Caught"

Liked
    0 times

..And don't forget a mic stand! (Although you may already have one)

You mentioned that 4 of you will need headphones... are you recording a whole band or just yourself?

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you for all your input. Please explain to me what monitors are? How will then benefit me? Basically were just recoding vocals and then putting them over a pre-made track using cool edit pro 2... There are 2 - 4 of us that will be doing vocals...

And yes I will need a stand.. I had 2 80$ stands but lost them both...

Liked
    51 times

Thank you for all your input. Please explain to me what monitors are? How will then benefit me? Basically were just recoding vocals and then putting them over a pre-made track using cool edit pro 2... There are 2 - 4 of us that will be doing vocals...

And yes I will need a stand.. I had 2 80$ stands but lost them both...
    Studio monitors are basically speakers with a flat/flatter(hahaha, if only they all were!) response over the frequency range. What this means is that if you mix your tracks together you will get a true representation of what your overall mix will sound like on various different sound systems. Mixing with just normal speakers won't do this because they have too much coloration to make music "sound better". Therefore the true way your mix sounds will be virtually unheard to you and your song will sound unprofessionally mixed when played anywhere else.

Good monitors are without any doubt the most important piece of equipment in a studio once your tracks are recorded.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    Liked
    61 times

Consumer speakers usually have an emphasis or lack of certain frequencies, which give you an inaccurate picture of what your mix actually sounds like. Monitors, however, are designed to have a flatter frequency response than regular speakers, giving you a sound that is closer to what your mix sounds like. Hope that helped.

EDIT: Already been answered. Sorry for the repeat post

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Yes definantally important... only problem is looks like they don't run under 100$ .. kinda expensive..

Is it better to order all this online or buy from a music shop?

Blog Entries
    Liked
    61 times

If you have a shop that has a bunch of monitors set up, it can be helpful to go in and listen to a song that you know really well on them, to see how each pair of monitors sounds. Even though the goal of a monitor is to be very neutral, they all color the sound in some way (especially inexpensive ones), so buying a pair with the knowledge of what they sound like is always better than going into it blind.

Liked
    51 times

Originally Posted by na118
    If you have a shop that has a bunch of monitors set up, it can be helpful to go in and listen to a song that you know really well on them, to see how each pair of monitors sounds. Even though the goal of a monitor is to be very neutral, they all color the sound in some way (especially inexpensive ones), so buying a pair with the knowledge of what they sound like is always better than going into it blind.
    +1
    Another thing is to save some cash and buy a good pair of monitors rather than cheap shit ones. It's frustrating but the results(together with good mixing) will be well worth the wait. And when in doubt about a certain pair you're looking into, ask for some advice on the forum. We'll be more than happy to help you out in the right direction.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

How can i tell which audio interface has drivers that will work well with my computer?

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    97 times

How can i tell which audio interface has drivers that will work well with my computer?
    If they have drivers that support your OS then you should be good to go.

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    2794 times

Hey man. Every question you have asked here is answered in pretty good detail in Killer Home Recording: Setting Up. I'd suggest downloading that and reading through it a couple times and I think everything will make a bit more sense.

Liked
    51 times

Originally Posted by bozmillar
    Hey man. Every question you have asked here is answered in pretty good detail in Killer Home Recording: Setting Up. I'd suggest downloading that and reading through it a couple times and I think everything will make a bit more sense.
    Here's the direct link .. Killer Home Recording: Setting Up

Thread Info

Recording Toys And Tactics Thread, I have the MXL 990 Mic What else do i need? in Recording Engineers / Producers; So I have the Mic (MXL 990) and the Mic Cord. What else do I need to start recording to ...