Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default How to get an August Burns Red Metal Type guitar sound?

Hey guys...

I want to record a song I have written that sounds a bit like August Burns Red.
    We have already recorded drums. Sounds pretty ok.

Today we wanted to record guitars and failed hard.
    Well, the breakdowns and chords sound quite ok. We doubled the tracks and recorded two slightly different guitar tracks.

Then we wanted to record the verse which has a typical metalcore riff like august burns red oder parkway drive play it. A rif consiting off single notes and palm muted bass notes on the low "e"-string. It's actually A#.

Now my setup:
    AMP: Marshall TSL 60
    Guitar: Gibson LP Studio with new 0.13 to 0.56 D'Addario strings

Mics:
    Shure SM57
    Sennheiser e906

Now,... how in the world can i get a proper sound with that equipment?

What amp setting do you recomend?
    What are the things i should check?
    Where should i place the mics?

I know, I can't really get a sound like ABR oder PWD, I just named those band so you know what I am talking about.

Would be great if you could help.

thanks - David (from austria)

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5026 times

Default Re: How to get an August Burns Red Metal Type guitar sound?

Now,... how in the world can i get a proper sound with that equipment?
    That's probably your fatal flaw right there. No one is following a submarine checklist to get "massive metal tones". Engineers tweak. If it was automatable (no creativity required), software would do it for you.

During this tweaking, engineers aren't looking for anything "proper". In fact, the norm is to see what rules we can break to get a BIGGER guitar sound than August Burns Red (no easy feat). I talk about all of this in Killer Home Recording: Audio Engineering.

Also, if there is a "proper" metal sound, then the genre is done because no one is even attempting to do anything remotely unique. I'm sure you music isn't a total clone and you have something different to offer, but just be careful how powerful words are.

I come from the school that if you have an outrageous tone, all you have to do is slap a 57, 421, Fathead II, or Royer R121 (Royer R121 vs World - Interrogator Sessions: Electric Guitar) up on the grill and pretty much call it a day. If your tone isn't outrageous, none of those mics, preamps, compressors, etc are going to help.

AMP: Marshall TSL 60
    Guitar: Gibson LP Studio with new 0.13 to 0.56 D'Addario strings
    The amp and guitar are adequate. The first thing I'd be curious about is cabinet. I hate the 75 watt Celestions. (75 Watt Celestions vs Kick In Balls) Marshalls tend to be flexible in the cab department depending on what you are up to, but if I was doing a band like his, I'd reach for my Recto 4x12 cabinet with Vintage 30s first....then something with Greenbacks.....then something with G12H30s.

That string size is a bold move. Like most bold moves, this is either going to be REALLY right or REALLY wrong. If you haven't rethought your string gauge for tonal reasons, that's part of the problem. I'm not saying you should change. I was a big string guy until my PRS Custom 24 came with 008s. I haven't went back and don't expect to. The Guitar Tone String Size Myth | Home Computer Recording

You didn't mention putting a Tubescreamer-type pedal in front of your amp. I don't always do it, but for metal I do it 95% of the time. ModTone DynoDrive Overdrive Guitar Pedal Review | Home Computer Recording

Lastly, I'd spend your time getting a total of two hard panned takes sounding huge. 2 AWESOME sounding tracks always smokes 4 crappy layers. So don't expect laying to bail you out.

That should get you started. If you want anymore advice, check out Killer Home Recording: Electric Guitar

Brandon

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3311 times

I hate the 75 watt Celestions.
    Yup, I hate 'em too! I had a JCM2000 once with 75watt Celestions in the cab - harsh, bitey with zero midrange to speak of... I ditched the 75 watters for 25 watt Greenbacks, & they make everything sound good! I was playing around with Podfarm the other day & the same paradigm works in the virtual world - JCM 900 + 75 watt cab (which was the standard cab when it came out - I had one of those too - yuk!) = SUCKS; JCM 900 + 25 watt cab = awesome.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5026 times

There is one local guy who I've heard sounds great and won't use anything but 75 watters. I'm not sure how he does it. They just sound boxy with 1,000 lbs of harshness stacked on top to cover up the boxiness.

Brandon

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3311 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    There is one local guy who I've heard sounds great and won't use anything but 75 watters. I'm not sure how he does it. They just sound boxy with 1,000 lbs of harshness stacked on top to cover up the boxiness.

Brandon
    Funny... I have a good friend who's exactly the same - he swears by them - in fact I swapped him direct - Greenback 25watters for 75 watters! I know who I think got the raw end of the deal!