Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Help to reduce peak distortion

Hello, I'm glad I found this forum, it looks great. I am using Wavelab 4. I have a wav file of a singer that has some occasional peak distortion due to too high recording levels. I wonder if anyone can help me to reduce or eliminate this distortion ? I hope there is some tool in wavelab that will help, but I am a beginner so not too familiar with all the plugins and how to use them. I have attached a sample converted to mp3, since the list of allowable attachment types does not include .wav.
    I realise it's better to have the recording levels set so peak distortion doesn't happen. But I want to make this as good as I can, given what I have.
    Many thanks for any help. Peter

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5318 times

Default Re: Help to reduce peak distortion

PeterW, there is no good way to remove that clipping you hear. The problem here is the fundamental character of the recording has changed and tools like EQ simple don't have the ability to change this fundamental character.

In my younger days I would have jumped in and spent 3 hours trying to fix this scratching my head the entire time. Now that I'm older (and have spent 3 hours too many times) I'd go in and reduce the offending clipping so that it doesn't distracting leap out at you. I may EQ it so that the leaping factor is reduced and then I would call it a day.

A huge theme in my upcoming home recording book is "It is what it is".

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

THanks for that, so do you mean reduce the dynamics so the sound momentarily is much less loud ? I have done this and attach the mp3. Do you know how to reduce certain frequencies only ? Is there a plugin for that ? I have the Wavelab EQ-1. IF I can target the particular frequenceis maybe I can make it less harsh. Thanks again for any advice. Peter

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    4 times

It is this experience that will help you get better. Leave it. Don't trak so hot next time. Leave headroom.
    freedom is obsolete. for your convenience, only the right choices are now available.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5318 times

THanks for that, so do you mean reduce the dynamics so the sound momentarily is much less loud ?
    I mean the clipping jumps out like a sore thumb. So pulling it down in level for the .235 seconds it jumps out is about all you can do. Just don't let it happen next time.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

You can be sure I will be more alert next time, but dealing with this time, what are the fequencies that make the horrible sound ? Are they a particular band that can be filtered out, or is a momentary level drop the only way around this ?

I did also contemplate pasting in non distorted sound from either side of it, but have not tried that yet. I hoped that there might be a special plugin that removes distortion sounds. Thanks P

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5318 times

You can be sure I will be more alert next time, but dealing with this time, what are the fequencies that make the horrible sound ?
    That horrible sound is clipping. It's digital distortion. It's caused by excessive level and can be caused by any and all frequencies that are hot enough.

I hoped that there might be a special plugin that removes distortion sounds.
    Nope. There is absolutely no way of fixing that one short of turning the gains down and rerecording.
    Brandon