Thread: headphone amp

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Talking headphone amp

Does anyone know of a good headphone amp that has a talkback feature that is cheaper than the $300 presonus hp60? I would love it if it was rackmountable as well? I have found plenty for under $300 but none that have a talkback feature. I really only need four headphones and if you know of a workaround for the talkback feature I'm game as well. thanks

Fighter Pilot-Caliber Member
    High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

Default Re: headphone amp

Im not sure i know of a talkback feature on a headphone amp. My talkback is part of my soundcard.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

check out the presonus hp60
    Buy PreSonus HP60 6-Channel Headphone Amplifier | Headphone Amplifiers | Musician's Friend

it has a dedicated xlr mic input for talkback to the musicians. This way I can communicate with them when tracking without having them take off their headphones and coming into the control room or me leaving my desk. I nice feature I would like to have.

I could get the same effect from using an open input on the interface or switch out an input for a mic but that's just a hassle I would rather avoid.

Fighter Pilot-Caliber Member
    High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

This doesnt look to bad. If you pull the trigger, I would def think about getting something with more than four channels. You WILL want more than four sooner or later. I know it kinda stings the purse a bit but, so what if you find one for $260. Youll be happier in the long run if you get the one you want and you wont have to dig back in to the wallet again.

s'got stankie on his hangdown
    Liked
    0 times

Wow, that Presonus thing is cool. I've used a Behringer 4-channel, and a Presonus HP4. that talkback feature is not common in headphone amps. I'd suggest getting this Presonus and just biting the bullet on the price. None cheaper and probably not many more expensive will have that feature.

The alternative is getting creative with your DAW or interface to create a talkback channel. that's what I do with my Firestudio/Digimax combo. I rarely use all 16 preamps, so I've got 1 channel avail for a talkback, and if I can another for the drummer to talk to me.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

If you enjoy circuit design and building, you can make a custom one for cheap.
    Lots of good schematics on-line for single channel amps that can easily be expanded into multi-channel.

I have a homemade 6 channel headphone amp with built-in talkback and it only cost $40 to build.
    I did have a lot of the parts already, but you could still keep it under $100 especially if you can do some searching on ebay for parts and enclosures.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5125 times

Another workaround is to use an audio interface with a built in DSP router matrix doohickey. You can just run a 57 or whatever from your desk to an input and route this to the headphones. It may be best to use a mic with a switch or something, but you get the idea.

Brandon

God Jr.
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1035 times

In cases where the client can't speak into a mic directly that is being used on the source I'm recording I will give them a cheap condensor with an off on switch and route it to an available channel in my interface. I use the behringer headphone amp and save $210.