Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up G Snap and Auto Tuners

I downloaded G snap with the cooler looking skin. I used it on some vocals I had already recorded. I was amazed that this product was free. I also kicked my self in the ass for not using or finding it earlier. It really makes the vocals sound perfect and alot sweeter. I used it on some songs with a pitch bank - were you can add 2 to 8 voices on choruses and stuff like that. I guess it doesnt bother you if you dont know or have it. Until you use it, then you'll be like - how the hell did I record with out it?

ANyway - I am working on my own presets and Ill post them here soon.
    Cubase SX3

Alesis Firewire MultiMix 16 ch interface mixer
    1.83 mhz dual core intel cent. laptop computer
    3gb ram
    250 gb external hd

www.thebackshackstudio.com

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: G Snap and Auto Tuners

hello i have down loaded G SNAP.how to install it,as it is asking a program to open it

thanks
    hello
    new joining here

Liked
    0 times

what recording software are you using?
    Cubase SX3

3gb ram
    250 gb external hd

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: G Snap and Auto Tuners

wat up peepz....its ya maori boi TEEZEE str8 outta AOTEAROA..
    much love......

OH6 OFFISHAL....

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: G Snap and Auto Tuners

This is the 2nd time I've heard of Gsnap in the last two days (maybe because I've been researching pitch correction devices and plug ins). Do you have any experience with Antares Auto Tune or Celemony Melodyne? If so, how does this compare. I'm getting ready to download and try it out but I'm always curious as to what people think of Freeware vs the pro stuff.

Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Re: G Snap and Auto Tuners

Originally Posted by delta6six
    hello i have down loaded G SNAP.how to install it,as it is asking a program to open it...
    Gsnap is a VST plug-in. You need to have a VST host (such as Cubase or other daw software) that can run it as a plug-in. For more info, please visit GVST website (CLICK HERE TO BE REDIRECTED), there is plenty of support info and a user forum there as well

Liked
    0 times

Ive used antares and melochony both and they are much more possiblilities with using them as opposed to G snap. After my first posting , I ended up buying an older version of auto tuner and began using that. I would say this though of G snap - if you are on a tight budget - G snap will get you by. Use the money you save for some dynamic processing plug ins instead. G snap is pretty decent and works fine ; just more options with the other programs.
    Cubase SX3

3gb ram
    250 gb external hd

Liked
    1 times

I hate auto-tune plugins. It feels like cheating to me and IMO it degrades the quality of musicianship. Good musicians never needed it untill fairly recently.

That said, I think GSnap does a fine job, especially considering that it's free. I've used Antares AutoTune briefly before, and while it seems to be a better plugin, my take on things is that if you need more than what GSnap can give you, the problem is not the plugin.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Im ready to get started, thanks

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

I was having trouble getting Autotune to work correctly on my recording software ( Quartz Audiomaster Project ) so I tried G SNAP . Works like a hot damn ...I've been "fixing " a few spots in demos that have been bothering me for a year or so now and it works great . I was concerned I'd have to go back in and re-record some of the vocal stuff ....no need to now . Its a great tool and , oh yeah ...FREE FREE FREE !

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

I was re-reading this thread and someone mentioned "pitch bank"
    as a technique . It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more about it ....anyone ?
    thanks

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by KillerV
    I hate auto-tune plugins. It feels like cheating to me and IMO it degrades the quality of musicianship. Good musicians never needed it untill fairly recently.
    I'm not sure this is true: I've heard recordings from the late 80s (Def Leppard's Hysteria comes to mind) that sounded very much like auto-tune was used.

I've also listened to the raw tracks of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody," and I'm convinced some kind of auto-tuning-type effect was used in the production of those vocals.

Based on these (and many other) examples, I would dispute the notion that "good musicians never needed auto-tune until recently."

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

Don't know what Def Leppard used in recording background vocals, but no way in hell was any autotune stuff used in 1976 on the Queen track. Sorry if you are convinced. It is not true. The only tool they had to affect vocal pitch back then was tape speed.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by uab9253
    Don't know what Def Leppard used in recording background vocals, but no way in hell was any autotune stuff used in 1976 on the Queen track. Sorry if you are convinced. It is not true. The only tool they had to affect vocal pitch back then was tape speed.
    While I would dispute your last comment, I agree that no "autotune stuff" was used in the (1975) recording of Bohemian Rhapsody.

However: I didn't say "autotune stuff," I said some kind of autotuning-type effect. By which I meant an editing effect or processing technique which glossed over minor pitch imperfections. When you listen to Mercury, May, and Taylor on the a capella vocal tracks, you hear an almost inhuman (not to say "robotic") perfection of pitch, which leads me to believe some kind of processing was employed--a belief which I still hold.

My point is not that autotune technology itself was used; my point is that even the best vocalists use audio effects and editing tricks to enhance their voices. And this fact does not apply to today's singers only: it has been true of past singers as well (though obviously their technology was more primitive).

Although "autotune" as we know it today is a relatively recent proprietary phenomenon (the first widely-known pop culture application of it having occurred in the late 90s, if memory serves), the fundamental principles behind and related to it (voice modulation, electronic voice transformation, filtering, "vocoding," etc.) have been around for much longer, since well before the 70s.

Anyway, this is all wide of the original point, so unless you (or someone else) come back with some sort of stinging rebuttal, I'll let the matter rest there.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

There is no reason a rebuttal has to be stinging. Maybe my choice of words was poor. We can speculate all we want about what the technique was that got those BR vocals so tight, but unless we talk to one of the remaining three, or Roy Thomas Baker, it is just speculation. I have the Album Classics dvd from VH1 about A Night at The Opera, and while they discuss the fact that the amount of overdubs used on that track wore the tape so thin that you could see through it, I have never seen any mention about vocal processing that dealt with pitch correction. I'm glad you still hold onto your belief but I haven't even seen the most expensive harmony processors out today that don't sound robotic/unnatural/artifacts. I can't imagine there was some technology in 1975 that could pull that off.

Tape speed was used a lot, for a lot of reasons, pitch included. Or just to make a single "pop" a little more. Try tuning your guitar to standard pitch and playing along with Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" and it's obvious they goosed the speed a hair - not an entire half step, but enough to make you out of tune.

I agree with your overall point though about good singers still getting studio help to polish their performances. That is not new. Wholesale correction of pitch for people who cannot sing in tune bothers me though. Just like quantizing a sloppy drummer who couldn't keep time to save his life. It's one thing to play with a click track, but at what point is it not really the person anymore. Same thing with touching up photos - even the prettiest women on the planet get airbrushed. It's what we like.

So for voice, take a pretty and talented voice and fix a note here or there as a way of speeding up the recording process, but don't use Autotune to fix people who really cannot sing. That's just my opinion.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by uab9253
    There is no reason a rebuttal has to be stinging. Maybe my choice of words was poor. We can speculate all we want about what the technique was that got those BR vocals so tight, but unless we talk to one of the remaining three, or Roy Thomas Baker, it is just speculation. I have the Album Classics dvd from VH1 about A Night at The Opera, and while they discuss the fact that the amount of overdubs used on that track wore the tape so thin that you could see through it, I have never seen any mention about vocal processing that dealt with pitch correction. I'm glad you still hold onto your belief but I haven't even seen the most expensive harmony processors out today that don't sound robotic/unnatural/artifacts. I can't imagine there was some technology in 1975 that could pull that off.

Tape speed was used a lot, for a lot of reasons, pitch included. Or just to make a single "pop" a little more. Try tuning your guitar to standard pitch and playing along with Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" and it's obvious they goosed the speed a hair - not an entire half step, but enough to make you out of tune.

I agree with your overall point though about good singers still getting studio help to polish their performances. That is not new. Wholesale correction of pitch for people who cannot sing in tune bothers me though. Just like quantizing a sloppy drummer who couldn't keep time to save his life. It's one thing to play with a click track, but at what point is it not really the person anymore. Same thing with touching up photos - even the prettiest women on the planet get airbrushed. It's what we like.

So for voice, take a pretty and talented voice and fix a note here or there as a way of speeding up the recording process, but don't use Autotune to fix people who really cannot sing. That's just my opinion.
    Right on, dude! Thanks for chiming in, you make some good points.