Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries

Free Music Recording Software

Here is a list of free audio recording software programs.? I've had tremendous luck with Open Source / GPL programs for just about everything I've ever tried them on from my word processing software (Open Office) to this forum.? This thread is for beginners who may want to save a little cash in the beginning of their recording quest or maybe put more money into hardware, mics, etc.

Reaper
    http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php

Audacity
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Kristal
    http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

Luna
    http://www.mutools.com/products.html

If anyone would like to add to the list, please PM me.

Thanks
    Brandon

2. join Join! It's free! Each month one member will receive 2 $50 Overkill XLR Cables.
    Not enough? 37 Reasons To Join RecordingReview.com

Re: Free Music Recording Software

So if I download any one of these, what else would i need to begin recording at home? I know I saw this in another thread, but I don;t remember wher eit was. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I need to rewrite that article anyway...maybe make a video.

In no particular order, you'll need a microphone, a mic cable, a preamp, a soundcard, a computer, recording software, and studio monitors.

That'll get you started. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. I know a lot of my questions sound stupid to those of you who have been doing this stuff for a while. But I don't know anything about recording. I don't even know that much about computers in general.

You my friend are in for a lot of work!

it will stretch you out a lot in life, kill your wallet ;D
    &quot;Pro Audio is but one tiny cell of a fungus on a short hair of a flea&quot;<br /><br />George Massenburg

Reaper just went to 1.0 it is now $40 hobby, $200 comercial. They have a 30 trial period, after which its on the honor system, $40 for a home recordist is not unreasonable.

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/ <---some nice video tutorials

One highlight I saw: Flexible FX chains allow unlimited FX per track

http://documentwrite.com/reaper/ <----manual

I tried reaper out 4-5 months ago, as buggy as it was it was promising. Now it seems like a chalenger to the big boys. No its not Cubase, Protules, Sonar, Logic, Traction, but its getting there. There is still stuff missing to me, but yet it seems like everything I would need is there or will be there in a few months (maybe more). Anyways try it out guys, post on their forum if you see something missing or lacking. I have already, and half of it was my misunderstanding, half of it was a feature that is/was not the same as cubase, so I worked around it and came to the same results Cubase would give have given me. Now am I gonna give up Cubase just yet fulltime, mmmmmmmm NO!!!!!!!
    Pine Street Studios Equipment http://mysite.verizon.net/resq6asf/id2.html

You left out Garage Band.

Comes with every Mac

;D
    &quot;Pro Audio is but one tiny cell of a fungus on a short hair of a flea&quot;<br /><br />George Massenburg

Blagh.. garage band.

I prefer audacity..

What if you want to wait a bit before buying a good soundcard, preamp, etc...

Could you just use a microphone hooked into the computer?? and for the guitar, just place microphone clsoe by?

Blog Entries

Could you just use a microphone hooked into the computer?? and for the guitar, just place microphone clsoe by?
    You can record sound with your built in soundcard. However, the sound will be a little lacking. More importantly, the latency will probably be horrendously long. Getting a headphone mix could be impossible.

For $200-300, it's usually just way easier to get the real thing. Actually, there are a few models that are pretty awesome and are more like $150. If you need help with the soundcard, let me know. I've got a new tool that I'm not quite done with that you can try out.

Brandon

Originally Posted by randall321
    Blagh.. garage band.

I prefer audacity..

with the rest of your post in mind, I question your merit as a true rating of the work flow that is Garage Band. Not saying that Garage Band is by far the best of anything, I use both Audacity and GB but I will say that for getting ideas down Garage Band is way better at making things happen. Oh yeah does Audacity let you monitor effects? NO! does it support VSTi Midi? nope.

Don't go trashing the oranges just because the apples have less seeds.

any advice on which is the best of these? i.e. the quickest to learn.

thanks

Originally Posted by YLG
    any advice on which is the best of these? i.e. the quickest to learn.

thanks
    You my friend must be the type who thinks it is possible to go right in and blow out a record with about two hours under your belt....

I really don't want to tell which is best here, for that matter.... You did not us what you want to do with the software... Midi? General audio? basic editing? film scoring?

You see none of these programs are "the best" they are all good for one thing or another, at times they have places where they fall short. I happen to love Audacity for some things, hate it for others... I also happen to like things that can be done in Reaper...

How much time are you willing to put into your music? How many details are you willing to gloss over, in order to do this faster?

Also what is your goal with your music recordings?

All these questions you have to bring to yourself if you want to just dive into things then that is good.... But if you work out what it is you want to do in ADVANCE you have a clear head to be creative... As I wrap up my third CD I can still see myself finding all the new stuff in Audacity (which I spent the better part of a year learning to use to the fullest) I find that if it had not been for the times when I started with a clear plan and a goal for my projects... I might still be trying to track songs for the very first one.

I would say that if you really want to get a good chunk of software then you need to look into REAPER which is shareware.... spend the $40 when you feel ready to, when I first started this thing called "studio recording" I would have killed to have that stuff ready for me to download and use.

Good luck my friend and stay focused.

Blog Entries

You may want to read this:The Problem With Simple Recording Software

Quick is good if you are looking for an oil change. If it was me, I'd think a little further down the road.

The hours spent watching Cubase SX3 DVDs, reading the manual, etc this last summer seamed like hell at the time. Now I consider it to be one of the best investments I've ever made.

Brandon

With a young family and a full time job spent sitting at a computer I just don't have a lot of time to spend learning a sophisticated program (much as I would like to.) I use a 4 track tape machine... that is about all I need i.e. just to record and play back my songs (although 8 tracks would be better). I'm not looking for professional sounding recordings. But at the same time I would like to make mp3s to share my music. Any advice on how to do this, on a laptop and a limited budget?

thanks

Blog Entries

If a 4 track does everything you need it to, stick with it.

To get your music onto a computer isn't a big deal. I wouldn't be super comfortable recording you 4 track mix straight into the PC, but I would try it first before upgrading the sound card.

All you really need is free recording software like Audacity. Plug the stereo output of your mixer into the input of the laptop's sound card. Arm the track in Audacity, hit record, and push play on your 4 track.

From there you will be in the digital domain and shouldn't have much problem converting them to mp3. I use Razorlame for that, btw.

Brandon

17. Re: Free Music Recording Software

I didn't see N-Track on this list.

N-Track Studio www.ntrack.com is not free, exactly, it's shareware, and the "free" version has some limitations that cost you $49 to unlock (it was $29 when I tried it a few years ago. inflation...)

Supports both DirectX and VST plugins. I was fairly impressed with it (but then, that was a few years ago when I knew even less than I know now).

www.drycreekstudio.com

DAW: Windows 7 | Core i5 1400 | 8GB RAM | Cubase 7 | M-Audio Delta-1010 | Event TR6 monitors

which free software supports MIDI? i have a keyboard which i want to plug in to record :s thanks!!

Couldn't Care Less About Gear

Originally Posted by YLG
    With a young family and a full time job spent sitting at a computer I just don't have a lot of time to spend learning a sophisticated program (much as I would like to.) I use a 4 track tape machine... that is about all I need i.e. just to record and play back my songs (although 8 tracks would be better). I'm not looking for professional sounding recordings. But at the same time I would like to make mp3s to share my music. Any advice on how to do this, on a laptop and a limited budget?

thanks
    The only thing I didn't like about my 4-track, a Fostex Multitracker XR7, is having to sift through hours and hours of cassette tapes to try to find the cool ideas that I came up with a year or 2 ago, and don't know where to find them.

Yes, you can label the time ie., 12:30 Cool Idea in C#m, but your search will always entail fast-forwarding, reverse, etc which takes way too much time. This is sequential access, the slowest form of retrieving information, which is a creative-juice 'killer'. The sooner you and I can be comfortable recording to the computer rather than the 4-track is the day we are happier. At any time we can access that DVD we recorded a year ago and listen to every sample, wave file, mp3 file we ever made anytime we want.

Not to mention,there is no bleeding between tracks, you can bounce tracks indefinetly with no sound loss... It's the way to go in my opinion.

I'm still in the midst of getting my computer set up just so I can plug and play anytime I want. It's a hard thing to do when I use the same computer for everything else from business to intense online gaming, but I'll get there.
    Last edited by DT Chris; 03-30-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    Vocalist/Guitarist/Songwriter Shure SM58/57 ~> M-Audio FastTrack PRO ~> FL Studio ~> Yorkville YSMP2's
    Assorted Noise,Racket,Improvs,OneTakes,WIPs, & Aspiring Hits(SoundCloud)

Thanks for the info I'll definetely check them out.
    "37,529 copies of our CD sold in just over 2 months! See how I did it here." http://theindustryyellowpages.com/sellyourmusic.html

Originally Posted by flapdoodle
    which free software supports MIDI? i have a keyboard which i want to plug in to record :s thanks!!
    http://www.download.com/Absynth/3000...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    There is a software synthesiser you can use with a MIDI keyboard, from download.com. It is free to try.. but apparently has no limitations...
    I havent properly used this, I havent got my MIDI keyboard working with my PC yet (due to school exams) but have messed about using the alphanumeric keyboard, and the sounds on it seem to be pretty good. I dont think it records though.
    That link is for the windows download, Mac users who want to download it, just search "Absynth" on the search bar at the top.
    Last edited by wallzo298; 05-26-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Theres two links to MIDI recording software, but as far as I can see, they are just free trials.
    http://www.multitrackstudio.com/
    http://downloads.theregister.co.uk/W.../midi-key.html

I just stumbled across this site - http://www.pcmus.com/Free-Software.htm
    It gives a list of free recording and editing software, as well a few other audio related trials. Check it out, see what you think.

Well, I ended up dowloading Audacity and buying a mobile-Pre interface, and there is no going back. Computer recording is definitely the way to go. I've thrown out the 4-track.

Which brings me to a new question - what is a good way to put drums/backing beat to a track? Are there files to download and play around putting them on Audacity?

Also, is there an upgrade to Audacity (I don't mind spending maybe $100) that can do more effects like guitar distortion etc.

thanks

You cant create drum sounds in Audicaty. If you had a program like Ableton or Garageband you could create any drum beat you want, but i presume you dont want to pay that much. All I can think of is plugging a standard keyboard into your PC and playing a beat off that.. either a prerecorded beat or make up your own, if the keyboard will let you.
    This is where MIDI is a good idea...
    There is no upgrade you can pay for, Audacity is a free program with updated versions released from time to time. I presume you are running 1.2.6, this is the link where you can download extra features, like an MP3 encoder (so you can export in MP3), and effects. In total, I got 110 effects, and distortion is included.
    Last edited by wallzo298; 05-28-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Blog Entries

You cant create drum sounds in Audicaty.
    There is no MIDI sequencer within Audacity?

If you Audacity doesn't have a MIDI sequencer, there are many programs out there that do. (I'm a Cubase guy myself).

Brandon

Adapted straight from Audacity help:-

"Audacity currently supports displaying MIDI files if you import them ... Audacity does not suppport playing, recording, or editing MIDI files. It does not even support saving MIDI Tracks in a project file."

Apparently, the only reason for the import MIDI feature is so "people who are studying algorithms that relate to MIDI data.... may wish to see the visual representation of the MIDI data..."

As for cubase, how much is it for a version? Im thinking about getting some decent software, (not that Audacity isnt good, its just the seperate recording because of the lousy layering is a pain) and Cubase seems pretty good...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast