Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Foo Fighters guitar tone

Lately I've been listening to their last album Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace and i love both their acoustic and electric guitar tones. There heavy guitars sound really wide and big. I was wondering if to get this sound they just double tracked and put one hard right and one hard left or if they maybe double or triple tracked for each ear. If anyone knows how to get their guitar tone please leave tips! I have recently started trying to take my guitars out of the center of the mix to leave room for the vocal but it's harder to get that huge wall of guitar sound when it's not in the middle.

Thanks for the help!

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Foo Fighters guitar tone

I've been able to get a "big" guitar sound from putting the guitar amp in the vocal booth, close mic it then have another "room" mic about 2 ft away for ambient sound. Record two tracks, duplicate the tracks (total of four guitar tracks) pan one set hard left, the other hard right then add a chorus/plate reverb on the one side just enough to give it some depth. Worked really well for me.
    Long Cain Studio
    Lagrange, GA

Behringer
    Shure
    Alesis
    Samson
    Focusrite Saffire
    Tama
    Korg
    CAD
    AKG

Bastardized Hopped-up PC on Crack based recording
    Windows 7 64bit
    Sony Acid Pro 7
    Cakewalk Sonar

Astronaut-Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3478 times

Originally Posted by Blakenstein
    I've been able to get a "big" guitar sound from putting the guitar amp in the vocal booth, close mic it then have another "room" mic about 2 ft away for ambient sound. Record two tracks, duplicate the tracks (total of four guitar tracks) pan one set hard left, the other hard right then add a chorus/plate reverb on the one side just enough to give it some depth. Worked really well for me.
    This is one of my favourite things... A really good way to get that big wide sound without it sounding weird is to reamp each guitar through multiple amps. I'm not exactly sure of how the Fooey's get their sound, but I know Mr Grohl is fond of using a Mesa Boogie Roadster/Rectifier type amp in combination with a Vox-style thing. Try this (w/ amp sims if you haven't got the real thing) : Track a left & right rhythm guitar (use plenty of chiming, open strings, even alternate tunings). For each one, send the signal to both a Boogie reasonably heavily distorted amp & a mildly over-driven/chiming Vox type amp (possibly with some compression to even it out). Pan the heavier distorted signals way out hard left & right (100%) & pan the cleaner signals closer to the centre - say about 40% left & right. Blend them together volume-wise, as well as automate them over the course of the song to give you lighter/heavier tonal contrasts. BTW, make sure you check the phase for each pair. (Very important!).
    Last edited by fHumble fHingaz; 11-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5199 times

it's harder to get that huge wall of guitar sound when it's not in the middle.
    I'm the total opposite. I think center panned guitars clutter everything up. I wish I could pan at 200% (without spacializer thingies....bad mono compatibility). The wider the better for me.

Can you give us an example of a song you have in mind?

I'm of the opinion that the only thing 4 layers does that 2 doesn't is add that chorusy kind of sound. Some call it "thicker". I call it less distinct. My general view is that many home recorders don't have good stereo (2 track) tones and they are looking in the wrong place by simply adding more layers.

Back in my early days, we did 26 different layers. It didn't sound nearly as good as two well-done tracks. In KHR, I've got a 20 layer mix. It does sound different because there are 20 takes, but it didn't do anything objectively superior.

If a dude players REALLY tight, the 4 layer approach isn't so chorusy....but it doesn't do as much, either. If you A/B them yourself level matched, you tell it's not that big of deal either way.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    Can you give us an example of a song you have in mind?
    The foo fighters song Cheer Up Boys Your Makeup Is running. They have the heavy rhythm guitars wide L/R and then they put their lead parts, clean tones much closer to center. The guitar sound is fat, thick, and just generally awesome. Then again Gil Norton probably has some of the nicest preamps/eqs out there along with his incredible producing skills.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5199 times

The woman is watching a bad TV show, so I'll have to hold off on listening.

some of the nicest preamps/eqs
    So do I. There's a WHOLE LOT more to it.

his incredible producing skills.
    That's the WHOLE LOT part.

s'got stankie on his hangdown
    Liked
    0 times

One key to his tone is hollow-body guitars. It's all he uses and it just adds this depth and color that can only be heard at lower gain. I recorded a band that played an Epiphone Dot (very affordable, good-quality hollow body out there) and the tone was thick and mushy when I ran my standard rock amps on it. Then I dialed back guitar volume, then gain on amp and found it. A sweet, thick and fat clear tone.
    Proud winner of the best member status ever award.
    I'd like to thank Metaltyme.