Liked
    0 times

Cool Drum room sound treatment

Hi all,

Just moved to a new house and I was able to convince my love to convert the HOLE basement into my third recording studio. I'm going from a single room approach to a 3 room studio. One room will be dedicated to acoustic drums, though not an ideal room for this, I would like to make the most of it.

It is a typical basement bedroom with drywall on walls/ceiling and engineered wood on the floor. Funny thing is there are two bedrooms side-by-side where the connecting wall was cut to insert two 36 inches bi-fold doors... that next room will be the Vocal/guitar/recording room. Nice... I can have a bigger or smaller recording room when I Please.

Lets keep this simple and pretend the bi-fold doors aren't there. I have a 12X12 drywalled room with an 8 foot ceiling. I have a nice thick rug covering 70% of the floor. What would be ideal to control acoustics in there to get a good natural sounding recording without the awe full boxy reflections ? (not trying to isolate sound… no need to keep things quiet)

I'm in Canada and OC 703/705 is not easily available. My source for acoustic treatment panels/supplies will most likely be Acoustic Panels by ATS Acoustics, since they have a warehouse in Canada it will be cheaper/faster to get the stuff.

Thanks four your comments and help!

Michel.
    musimedia.ca

Quad core PC / WinXP Pro, MacPro / OS X .
    Cubase 4 / Logic Studio
    MOTU 896 , KRK&JBL! Monitors.
    35 + mics in locker, yes it's a fetish !

My goto money channel : Passion->talent->skills->gear.

s'got stankie on his hangdown
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Drum room sound treatment

The 8 foot ceiling will not be great for open sounding overheads or room mics, way too short. Equal dimentions of 12 by 12 are not great either, so you may never get exactly what you're looking for in this combo.

I'd approach this room with a ton of bass trapping an trying best to get rid of the parralell walls. Drums will be placed just outside the center of the room, facing in. Mineral wool boards is an acceptable substitute to OC if it's just not available. Cover the corners with pannels and build a couple Ethan Winer bass trap rigs to controll be low end around the room. IF you get the mineral board, cover them in fabric and place then on walls, spaced a couple inches away and space and angle them in a creative way, so that they take away the parralell walls.

Certified Badass Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    293 times

I have the same type of room you described and I used ATS pannels.Those things are great and they look good.I have a small live room I use for tracking drums and guitars.
    I would say don't make the room too dead.Too many ATS pannels will suck the life out of the room.

I have a brick floor but covered only the part under the kit.I would do some recording test when you get setup and leave the room open with no treatment and then add a pannel and do a test and keep adding treatment untill your happy. You can check out my lil home studio at Sterling Sound Studios Good luck with your new studio!
    Last edited by Rockerdude; 05-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the advice guys. I need to treat 3 rooms, and the drum room is the one I'm not familiar with. I used to have a one room studio about 20X35 9 fot ceiling, treated in a creative way and It was a very nice sounding room... for all but drums!

@rockerdude, That is a very nice setup and space !

My biggest question is, let's say I go with ATSacoustics pannels, How many 24x24 and/ or 24X48 should I get. I know there is a calculator on the website , but it suggests 28 pannels for a 10X10 room !
    musimedia.ca

Cubase 4 / Logic Studio

Certified Badass Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    293 times

I would start with 6 24"x48" ones for your drum room and put a rug only under the kit,I have some 48"x48" 4" wedge foam on the celling just in front of the kit.

You have the luxury of building walls and construction,I just went with the space that was there and made it work.Those pannels are very effective.I have my whole control room covered.

They have these cool little hangers to mount them and they only require 4 small holes in the wall and take about 5 min to hang one.There is a guy on here that is a expert at this stuff his name is Ethan PM him and ask him,I'm sure he will give you some good advice.

Liked
    126 times

28 is excessive.

I have a bunch of ATS panels. I highly recommend them.

Don't forget the corners with bass traps.

I got corner bass traps from GIK Acoustics.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

Thanks.

Unfortunetely, The basement is already 100% build ( not a new house) and drywall is everywhere but floors !

I guess 6 24X48 should help with early reflection , so will the carpet. I'll start there and adjust.

Rockerdude, I do Know about Ethan and have read all his info on acoustics... but words on a page and real life are not the same! I wanted info from those who actually use that type of products!

Thanks for all your help.
    Michel.
    musimedia.ca

Cubase 4 / Logic Studio

Liked
    126 times

You don't have to buy it all at once. Phase it in as funds become available over time.
    TonyB

Liked
    0 times

Right, That is the plan. I have to treat two 12X12 rooms and one 20X20 control room.

But I need to do this before I get more/new gear... because I will not even listen to anything in the room as it is!!
    musimedia.ca

Cubase 4 / Logic Studio

Certified Badass Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    293 times

Here is a short clip and a quick mix of stuff tracked in my live room treated with the ATS pannels if it helps.Attachment 7060
    Last edited by rockerdude; 08-16-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Certified Badass Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    293 times

I would get lots for the control room.And as TonyB said the bass traps are a must.I went with the ghetto style bass traps and stuck some ATS panels in the corners of my control room....lol...TonyB has 5k square feet of recording heaven.

Liked
    126 times

Originally Posted by rockerdude
    I would get lots for the control room.And as TonyB said the bass traps are a must.I went with the ghetto style bass traps and stuck some ATS panels in the corners of my control room....lol...TonyB has 5k square feet of recording heaven.
    Good idea on the panels in the corners. Some of my spaces are too small for the panels in the corners so I had to go with the tri-corner bass traps (except for a couple of ghetto style traps I made myself...talk about ugly! ).

I used some ATS 2x4 2 inch panels to straddle the ceiling - wall intersections.
    TonyB

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Carpeting is the first thing i would get rid of.it makes your recording's sound covered or veiled.It takes your highs and stomp's on them and the low's and low mids get boomy.I ended up putting a hard wood floor in a 12x12 and have had great changes in my recording's.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5026 times

I don't necessarily feel that the permanent and relatively scientific manipulation of the room is necessarily any different for drums or any other instrument.

The creative manipulation of the room is a bit different but it is also a per case basis. Some songs call for a huge reflective room while other songs call for a small dead room. However, it seems that with your 2 12x12 rooms what you are really looking for is a damage control more than creative fun. There really isn't that much fun to be had in terms of acoustics in such rooms and therefore I'd resort to knocking out as many standing waves and taming the room subtly with broadband absorption.

Diffusors, while expensive, are certainly your friend in this case. However, I don't think you are ever going to get anything exceptionally flattering.

Ideally, you could knock down a while and combine the 2 12x12 rooms (assuming this is even possible in your situation). That would make life easier on the damage control front.

I've struggled with how to deal with unideal live room for years. I ultimately decided to get the thing as live as possible via diffusion (my devices certainly don't go down too low in frequency, but they bust up standing waves). I then use my Rockwool pieces here and there as needed.

Brandon