Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    4 times

Default Best $250 LDC mic, AT4040 or Rode NT1-A?

Hello all,

I put up a similar thread about a week ago about $125 ldc, but have decided to consider spending the additional $100.

Is there a concensus on the best $250 LDC as an upgrade primarily for vocals?, but generally also, based on what I do and already have. I think a LDC is the next obvious thing I need.

I record myself: drums, guitar, bass, acoustic guitar, mandoline

Type: acoustic rock such as REM, Train, Counting Crows, Tom Petty, U2

I have: 2 sm57
    1 sm58
    4 various other cheap but very workable dynamic mics
    2 Shure b4.1 SDC pencil

Any advice? Between AT4040, Studio Project C1 and Rode NT1-A?

And, what is the difference in a Rode NT1 and the NT1A?

I can get:

used NT1A on ebay for about $175 or new with accessaries for $229/free shipping

new AT4040 with access/free shipping $246

new Studio Projects C1 $199/free shipping

thank again for all

gamble

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5022 times

Default Re: Best $250 LDC mic, AT4040 or Rode NT1-A?

In your list, I've only used the AT4040. I think it's an excellent, all-purpose microphone. It's quite neutral and it's my #1 microphone recommendation for anyone in that price range.

It's not as bold as my fancier mics because it's neutral character, but that increases it's all-purpose use.

BTW, these go really cheap on Ebay.

Brandon

Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    144 times

Nt1-a. Not a single recording has gone by where it hasnt been used.

To be honest both mics are awesome. You cant go to wrong with either.
    Adam

carrillo.c.adam@gmail.com
    @adamapplemusic
    @thedizzyrecords
    www.dizzyrecords.net

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3102 times

Originally Posted by lsutigh
    To be honest both mics are awesome. You cant go to wrong with either.
    Word up, dog.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    4 times

Been scanning ebay and craigslist lately but havent seen many AT4040's you can "buy now" for cheap unless you want to bid. Maybe bidding is the way to go, but I have never bid on anything.

I see several NT1a you can "buy now" for $170-200 and skip the bid process.

I'll keep looking, I feel like I can get most of my money back on either of these mics if I dont like them.

Thanks for advice

gamble

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

the nt1a is probably one of my best impulse purchases ever. i'd read a few reviews about it and while perusing craigslist for used gear, a dude just a few blocks away was selling one with the shockmount for $150. i didn't really need it, but couldn't resist. i ran over, grabbed it and have used it religiously ever since. on several vocalists i've preferred the rode over the shure ksm32 and a (borrowed) akg c3000. i've never heard the 4040, but if its similar to the nt1a in quality you can't go wrong.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5022 times

Been scanning ebay and craigslist lately but havent seen many AT4040's you can "buy now" for cheap unless you want to bid. Maybe bidding is the way to go, but I have never bid on anything.
    Ebay's security setup (feedback) keeps people honest....or at least more honest. Paypal is always on the customers side (in either Ebay or Craigslist) but the get a little iffy about hardware once it is shipped. So Ebay is definitely safer.

I bought my console from a listing on Craigslist and spend $170 on Escrow fees just to make sure I wasn't ripped off. In that case it was money well spent. For a < $300 microphone, those security measures are cost prohibitive.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by freezermink
    the nt1a is probably one of my best impulse purchases ever. i'd read a few reviews about it and while perusing craigslist for used gear, a dude just a few blocks away was selling one with the shockmount for $150. i didn't really need it, but couldn't resist. i ran over, grabbed it and have used it religiously ever since. on several vocalists i've preferred the rode over the shure ksm32 and a (borrowed) akg c3000. i've never heard the 4040, but if its similar to the nt1a in quality you can't go wrong.
    Have you ever used the Rode NT1-A for anything else than vocals?
    Such as Acoustic Guitar/Miking Amps/Room, etc?

Thanks In Advance

Peace: PopCornFart

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

I am using it primarily for vocals, but I've also gotten some pretty great results from using it as the sound-hole mic while stereo recording acoustic guitar. When I first got it I threw it on a box guitar amp with mixed reviews. I have used it as a room mic as well with fairly good results, though I'm never super excited about any room mic I've recorded no matter what the position, room condition etc.

I used it on a solo cello recording a while back also, and it seemed to capture the instrument beautifully, though I'm not 100% on that as the cello player was exceptionally terrible which makes it tough to tell.

Liked
    51 times

I'd choose the NT1-a over the AT any day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used." --Craig Anderton

"Love Thy Neighbor, But Don't Get Caught"

Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by freezermink
    I am using it primarily for vocals, but I've also gotten some pretty great results from using it as the sound-hole mic while stereo recording acoustic guitar. When I first got it I threw it on a box guitar amp with mixed reviews. I have used it as a room mic as well with fairly good results, though I'm never super excited about any room mic I've recorded no matter what the position, room condition etc.

I used it on a solo cello recording a while back also, and it seemed to capture the instrument beautifully, though I'm not 100% on that as the cello player was exceptionally terrible which makes it tough to tell.
    Thanks, the reason I asked is because I've read some reviews that claim it's a good Mic
    for loud amps as well!
    Which made me wonder, like I guess maybe if one would like to destroy it, and then go out and buy another one.
    I don't know maybe with some caution it would/could work.
    I believe I'll not risk it and just stick with the trusty sm57.

Thank You Again: PopCornFart Working On A Degree In Butter And Salt

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3102 times

I believe I'll not risk it
    There's no risk. You're welcome.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5022 times

Check out the max db rating. In most cases, the volume would need to be loud enough to blow your house apart to damage the mic. I've put my AT4050 inside kick drums and lived to tell about it.

Brandon

Thread Info

Recording Toys And Tactics Thread, Best $250 LDC mic, AT4040 or Rode NT1-A? in Recording Engineers / Producers; Hello all, I put up a similar thread about a week ago about $125 ldc, but have decided to consider ...