Liked
    5 times

Default Beginning Audio Engineering / Mixing books.

I've been apart of a band for about a year now and have been using CUBASE SX3 to record our sound. I really want to start digging into some of the technical jargon and make our sound, sound even better!

Can some of you out there recommend some good beginning books? What I'm looking for is:
    - Better microphone knowledge.
    - How to use compressors, gates, and limiters more accurately and efficiently.
    - Mixing.... definitely need better mixing skills =)
    - And over all just better knowledge of recording studios and how to make our sound better.

Thanks for any help,

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Beginning Audio Engineering / Mixing books.

keep reading and posting questions in this forum. Im in the same boat as you. I joined this forum a month ago and have already learned a lot. there are lots of good articles and discussions about techniques, and you dont have to buy anything. also, you dont just get 1 guys opinion, you get a bunch, and they dont always agree.

Liked
    5 times

I just came across this forum today while searching for some books. So far from what I can tell this is an AMAZING resource of information. I hope to be apart of this and utilize it as much as possible.

Thanks for your reply

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

I'd suggest getting beyond this forum, though.
    As far as free goes, definitely get a copy of Tape Op magazine (it's a free subscription) and visit www.gearslutz.com as well as here -- that site is the home to many, many professional engineers and is probably one of the largest audio engineering forums out there. You can learn a TON there and will get a lot wider range of opinions than are here.
    Additionally, getting a copy of Mix magazine would be a good start (if you're in school or have access to a library database, you might see if they have an electronic or physical subscription already...).

Mega Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Liked
    7 times

Originally Posted by BORNintoMUSIC
    I just came across this forum today while searching for some books. So far from what I can tell this is an AMAZING resource of information. I hope to be apart of this and utilize it as much as possible.
    Cool. That's all you do. Start reading, and start applying it to your next music project.
    Vocalist/Guitarist/Songwriter Shure SM58/57 ~> M-Audio FastTrack PRO ~> FL Studio ~> Yorkville YSMP2's
    Assorted Noise,Racket,Improvs,OneTakes,WIPs, & Aspiring Hits(SoundCloud)

Liked
    5 times

Originally Posted by apumic
    I'd suggest getting beyond this forum, though.
    As far as free goes, definitely get a copy of Tape Op magazine (it's a free subscription) and visit www.gearslutz.com as well as here -- that site is the home to many, many professional engineers and is probably one of the largest audio engineering forums out there. You can learn a TON there and will get a lot wider range of opinions than are here.
    Additionally, getting a copy of Mix magazine would be a good start (if you're in school or have access to a library database, you might see if they have an electronic or physical subscription already...).
    I will definitely check those out! It doesn't necessairly have to be free though. I'm definitely open to some worthy purchases.

Thanks!

Liked
    0 times

I agree 100% with everyone here that this is a great (and free) place for loads of knowledge.

If you are looking for a book though, I recommend "The Art of Mixing" by David Gibson. It has alot of good info and great way of visually represnting audio.

Liked
    5 times

Originally Posted by Boogybones
    I agree 100% with everyone here that this is a great (and free) place for loads of knowledge.

If you are looking for a book though, I recommend "The Art of Mixing" by David Gibson. It has alot of good info and great way of visually represnting audio.

Funny you say that. I just picked up that book from the library today! I looked at the back cover and it had me hooked.

Thanks for your help!

Any more suggestions?

Mega Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Liked
    7 times

I haven't bought a technical book in years. From home recording, to web design, to using Photoshop 7, to PHP/MySQL programming, Javascript, DHTML, CSS, all internet stuff I do - I've taught myself over the web.
    Vocalist/Guitarist/Songwriter Shure SM58/57 ~> M-Audio FastTrack PRO ~> FL Studio ~> Yorkville YSMP2's
    Assorted Noise,Racket,Improvs,OneTakes,WIPs, & Aspiring Hits(SoundCloud)

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

The Yamaha sound reinforcement handbook is a great read. It has a lot of stuff pertaining to live gear, and situations, but the theory is all relevant to recording.

‘Mixing with your mind’ is a great book and it suits all from beginner to seasoned pro. Less technical than most, but looks at the artistic side in depth.
    The author is a very successful engineer. http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com

This forum and www.prosoundweb.com are about the best I have seen online, for peer info.

A lot of the gear manufacturers have great online libraries. Rane, EV and Soundcraft are all worth checking out.

Baron
    Last edited by Baron; 07-19-2007 at 06:52 AM.

Liked
    5 times

Baron,

Thanks! I will check everything out.

I have heard of mixing with your mind. Thank god for my birthday and girlfriend, lol. That book is on the expensive side, but I've only heard of good things. I can't wait to read it =)

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!