Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs. Sony MDR-V6

Basically I'm stuck in between these two headphones. I hear Alot about the M50's ..but looking at the specifications of both it seems to the that the V6's are superior. It has a wider frequency response Greater sensitivity and greater ohms than the MDR's ..I've listed the websites below but does anyone have experience with either of these and how well they translate in a mix?

SONY
    MDR-V6 | Studio Monitor Series Headphones | Sony | Sony Style USA

Audio Technica
    Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-M50 : Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (with coiled cable)

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5305 times

Default Re: Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs. Sony MDR-V6

The one thing I need to add to my review is not all ATH-m50s are created equal. I bought several recently to stock up and I was shocked at how they sounded. It was nothing like the set I bought 2 years ago. This wasn't a "break in" thing either. It was clearly a cheaper design that sounded more like a walkie talkie.

Brandon

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    299 times

I don't know about the specific Sony phones you're looking at, but I have a pair of their older "studio monitor headphones" (MDR-XD400). I love them, they are very comfortable and I have found them to be pretty flat in terms of response. they are OK in terms of isolation, so they aren't the best for tracking but for spot-checking a mix they are great. the only real downside is the design, as they make you look like a dork. but I'm pretty dorky looking anyway.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2247 times

There may be a slight hype in the Sony lows, from what I gather online. I wouldn't say it's a real problem.

Amazon usually has lots of reviews, and there is often a critical review from one or two users. I would be wary of what Brandon mentioned above. I sometimes wonder about knock-offs, but this does sound like just a different factory thing.

I ended-up buying a different AT model(vs Sony) based on reports of a less colored bass. And, I've found it to be accurate down there.
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

wow ..I was reading this review and I'm almost completely convinced that I'm going to go with these instead!

Sony MDR-7506 | Sweetwater.com

speaking of headphone scams ..look that this ..these headphones Retail for $259 ..as you'll see below

MDR-V900HD | Studio Monitor Series Headphones | Sony | SonyStyle USA

But on Ebay I see them for around 40 bucks!!!!! ...wtf! ..I think they may be a Fake japanese remake or something lol ..take a look!

Sony MDR-V900HD items - Get great deals on Electronics, Musical Instruments items on eBay.com!

sorry, I kinda got URL happy lol

Blog Entries
    Liked
    61 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    The one thing I need to add to my review is not all ATH-m50s are created equal. I bought several recently to stock up and I was shocked at how they sounded. It was nothing like the set I bought 2 years ago. This wasn't a "break in" thing either. It was clearly a cheaper design that sounded more like a walkie talkie.

Brandon
    I bought a pair of M50's and at first I loved them, I used them for tracking and when mixing I used them to see if my stereo image is too extreme. I realized over time that they were biased to the left side, which I thought was just my ears (my left ear is way better than my right for critical listening), but my friends also thought something that was panned center was panned a bit to the left also. So after some experimentation, it seems that to make something sound like it's coming from the center, I have to pan 15-20% right, which totally kills them for mixing purposes.

The ATH's sound great, but I think they have some quality control issues, so I would be hesitant to recommend them.