Thread: Akai DPS 16

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    1 times

Default Akai DPS 16

Although a discontinued SAW, this workhorse has served me well for 12 years now. I've since added another for 32 tracks. It has NEVER gone down, froze up, had latency issues, overheated, locked up, or committed any errors so prevalent in the computer based recording. Sure, it lacks detailed editing features (you know, the kind you need when you suck at playing your instrument properly, or can't hold a note and need Pitch Correction) and sure it only has 4 effects at once, but it is a stable recording environment and so easy to work with. One of the most well though out pieces of equipment in decades. I can record in 24 bit, I can upgrade the memory with no problem, It's quiet (once you do a couple of 'silence' tweaks)

I did recently add a computer to do the editing on, so I use the outputs of the Akai (which total 10) and go into a M-audio 1010 then into my computer. Wah-la! I can record remote with no hassle, I take a 12 channel xlr patchbay with me and can catch an entire band using XLR and 1/4 (for direct boxes and keys).

I searched for the elusive DPS24 for a while but got tired of tracking one down, so I bought a second one ($200 Craigslist) and now record to my hearts content. I know the DPS 12 channel has probably sold more but only having 12 channels is like ONLY winning 4 Million dollars in the lottery...just enough to piss me off cause I'll burn through it in a week!

The great thing is, there's plenty of these around. I just saw two more available on Craigslist in the Austin/San Antonio area for $250. Makes a great CHEAP way to get started in the digital recording world. I may eventually go all out Computer-based, but they will need to get the crap together and stop boning customers every six months for upgrades, updates and more memory issues. Like Brandon once said, the "Beatles did it all with four buttons: Play, Record, Forward and Rewind". (or something like that, sorry Brandon)

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Akai DPS 16

TJ....I really need some help regarding the DPS-16.....I have recorded with it before, but need some technical advice.....would you please be kind enough to call me on my cell at 732-539-4763.......leave a message and i will call you back...thanks so much!!

Bobby D.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Okay...here is my concern......I recorded 9 tracks on my DPS 16......do I dump them to channel 15 & 16 before sending them to my external CD-Burner for a copy????

Bobby

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    1 times

no, if you are coming out of the Master out or Monitor out sends, just mix the 9 channels the way you normally would. this works even if you use the dig outs.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

TJ...thanks....but I use an external SCSI CD burner.....what would I go into to record final mix??

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    1 times

Sorry about that. I assumed you were burning in real time. If you have the manual, there is a section on how to create a scsi mix. If you don't have a copy, I actually have two copies and would send you one to use. I've always burned my mixes in real time to a cd burner so unfortunately I'm not much help. Go over to the Yahoo group. It is very active and guys are very willing to give advice. It's a great forum. Type in "akai dps 12", I think that's the title of the group. There are files there that i think contain a manual as well.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    1 times

You might try going to the Edit page, scroll to the WAV file option. From there you select the tracks you want to burn and do it there. So you may need to ping pong to 15/16 since it only burns 2 tracks at a time. If you don't have the 'create Wav file' option, you may need to update your OS. There is a guy named Mark on the yahoo group who has the update cd for the OS. He will mail it to you if you will mail it back. That's what I had to do. Just post on there you are looking for that cd upgrade.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks TJ......one more question....I just dumped all tracks to 15 & 16 and burned a CD and listened to it in my tuck.....it sounds really good.....I just want to know if i can erase the pong to 15 & 16 so I can make a few tweaks and pong back to 15/16??

Bobby

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    1 times

Yes, just engage those two tracks and repeat the original process. You can either record over it OR go into EDIT and select "cut-delete" (I believe thats the one) then select the length of the song with the in/out button and then select the two tracks then hit DO IT. That will wipe out the info on 15/16

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

wish you lived in New jersey LOL...thanks my friend!! my Facebook page is Bobby Donofrio Brick NJ

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    1 times

Hey, there's seven of you bobby donofrio's on face book, give me a better hint and I'll add you.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

TJ....I just changed my pic to the Peace Sign with 2 guitars in the logo....should be easy now!! LOL

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

TJ...what's your FB name?? Question.....when I record a vocal, what are the best effects to add or eq so I can get a crisp vocal with no mud????

Thread Info

Recording Toys And Tactics Thread, Akai DPS 16 in Recording Engineers / Producers; Although a discontinued SAW, this workhorse has served me well for 12 years now. I've since added another for 32 ...