Thread: MIDI and BFD2

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    408 times

Default MIDI and BFD2

I don't expect anyone to have the answers to my exact problems, but maybe someone could at least point me in the right direction. Here goes...

I'm using an edrum kit (Yamaha Dtxtreme IIs) with Audition 3.0. I've always used the module sounds, but I've finally come to realize/admit that they machine gun too much and are just not that realistic. So, I purchased BFD2 after comparing drum sample software and on the advice of a forum member.

I expected there to be some syncing problems and I'd have to learn how it works, etc... However, when I run it as a plugin, simply turning it on eats almost 90% of my RAM!!!!! I can't even have three toms as it tells me I've run out of RAM!!!! It seems to be working fine when I run it as it's own program (not as a VSTi in Audition.) Please tell me there is something funky going on and I need to press some weird MIDI option in Audition to get it to run without eating all of my RAM. It's really unusable in this state, as just playing back a simple bass drum and snare recording lags and distorts.

Also,

Why does no data appear in the multitrack window when I record MIDI? I don't like having to pop open the sequencer to see a series of blobs. Is there any way I can at least get the MIDI data to show up in multitrack view without having to open the sequencer? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    60 times

Default Re: MIDI and BFD2

Did you check the basics?
    Audio drivers, buffer settings, multi core cpu usage, etc. Make sure you're using asio or wdm drivers in audition and not mme.

Don't know what your computer is but I'm only running a intel 2.4g quad core with 2gig of ram. I have no issues playing SSD in real time with my ekit. Actually, I can playback a whole mix with guitar sims and SSD with no issues. So yeah, something is screwy.

Did you try recording the midi without listening to BFD? You can try and record the midi, than load BFD on playback.
    During playback, increase your buffer setting. Does it help?

Do you have a bunch of other plugins running on other tracks when you're playing the drums?

How do you like the sounds and maching gunning in BFD2?

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    2062 times

Ya, does your setup meet the recommended specs for the software. Sample heavy VST/i can be real hogs
    pss790&370, K1,K1r, d-5, qy10, x-fi notebook, gina20, turser p90 sg, Ibanez steel string, Bongos, Washboard, Roberts 770 w/dual EF86, cedar ridge acoustic, EKO Ranger 12-string, DeArmond M65, Electromatic JJ bass, DeArmond M75, Fulltone FD2, Tannoy Sixes, DPS,DR1,DR-X m106, dbx128, korg SQ1, akai s2000, tascam PS5, ultraNOVA, dod 866ii

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    408 times

Thanks for replying, guys. The problem is not BFD2, but Audition 3. The workaround I figured out is to record with BFD2 in standalone mode, export the individual audio files (you can do this all at once in bulk, and the files go to a designated folder,) then load each .wav file into Audition 3.0. If I'm not happy with a kit piece I can simply go into BFD2, change the kit piece and effects I want, then re-export. This works well enough.

The issue I have now is similar to a problem I experienced with my Yamaha brain: punk rock drummers were definitely not a priority. I found one, yes one, snare that works, and the bass drums don't have enough attack, even the ones recorded with wooden beaters. Granted, it is much better than my Yamaha module, but I'm not very happy with the bass drum offerings. I'll need to resort to plugin processing in order to get the needed bass drum attack for my recordings. Any tips for that?

How do you like the sounds and maching gunning in BFD2?
    The kits are designed for classic rock and pop stuff. Any good metal and punk rock tones need additional processing not available in BFD2 (BFD2 plugins are there for playing around, not real audio processing.) Positively, I can say the crash cymbals are excellent and I haven't encountered any machine gunning problems.

I went with BFD2 mostly because, 1. it didn't seem gimmicky, and 2. it seemed to be designed for actual drummers. I may change software if I get some extra money and find something better suited to punk rock.
    Last edited by PunkGuy; 06-26-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    60 times

Originally Posted by PunkGuy
    and the bass drums don't have enough attack, even the ones recorded with wooden beaters. Granted, it is much better than my Yamaha module, but I'm not very happy with the bass drum offerings. I'll need to resort to plugin processing in order to get the needed bass drum attack for my recordings. Any tips for that?
    For attack check out this plugin: Transient Monster | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

It's a freebie and works great on kicks and snares to add attack. Also, try some drastic eq to that kick. Scoop the mids, and add some high end. Depending on the kick, put a hi-pass eq on it to loose the low end sub bass that does nothing for the song.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    408 times

For attack check out this plugin: Transient Monster | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

It's a freebie and works great on kicks and snares to add attack. Also, try some drastic eq to that kick. Scoop the mids, and add some high end. Depending on the kick, put a hi-pass eq on it to loose the low end sub bass that does nothing for the song.
    Thanks for the link. I will try it out shortly. Compression just didn't cut it and the envelope plugin in BFD2 didn't track well at all.

Certified Badass Member
    Junk Gear Lover
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    664 times

It's nice you have managed to work around that Audition problem. Regarding your specific sound woes, as some other members have pointed out in other threads, BFD makes you work as you would a real kit to get these kind of sounds. It's like recording a real drum, those artificial metal/punk sounds don't happen very often in real life. Superior and the like give you these sounds "pret-a-porter", and some people like that. For me, I like having to process my drums for the song instead of the other way around. As for your problem with Audition, your best bet would be to post a message in both the Audition and BFD support forums and see if anyone has had the same problem.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie!"...
    till you can find a rock.