Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Can't get rid of hum

Would love it if someone can help. I'm recording spoken voice only onto my laptop, coming out of a little Tube amp made by ART. Nothing terribly high-tech. But I can't get rid of an audible hum. I'm have a mic cord going from the pre-amp and am connecting it to the laptop with a little adapter plug.
    Any ideas how to get rid of the hum? It wasn't there last time I recorded. It has come but gone in the past. Now it seems determined to hang around. Thanks so much in advance. Ngaruawahia.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Can't get rid of hum

Sounds like a ground loop hum. If you do a frequency analysis on the hum is it centered at 60Hz? If so, try plugging the power supply from the ART and the laptop into the same power strip and see if it helps. If not, try running the laptop off the battery and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't do it, then try and find a Hum-Eliminator by Ebtech. Those little isolating transformers have saved my studio from all kinds of hum.

If nothing else works and you need a $0 solution, then capture then hum as a noise profile in Audition then noise reduce it out of the way after you are done recording.

Good luck,
    Rafael

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Radio Shack Isolator 270-054 eliminated my hum

I had a hum problem connecting my computer sound card to my HDTV. The hum was that tell tale sound of a ground loop - 60HZ. I never would have believed it, but I gave it a try. The ground loop hum is gone. $16.99 is the standard price. Hope this helps.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    1 times

Yes, get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack; they're real cheap.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

I had a hum problem...turned the light switch off in the room i was in and it went away....go figure...

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    0 times

Why are you recording vocals through an amp? Something's fishy here.
    For those who keep asking, it's a picture of MUMs, as in my name is MUM.
    "Recording is stupid." - Brandon Drury
    My philosophy - If you don't agree with me, you're wrong.

Liked
    1 times

Originally Posted by mindundermatter
    Why are you recording vocals through an amp? Something's fishy here.

He is talking about a mic preamp

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by GuitarMan409
    He is talking about a mic preamp
    Well that makes a whole lot more sense.
    For those who keep asking, it's a picture of MUMs, as in my name is MUM.
    "Recording is stupid." - Brandon Drury
    My philosophy - If you don't agree with me, you're wrong.

Liked
    51 times

Could be your wiring isn't grounded correctly, or dirty electricity. But i wouldn't always count on it. I had the same problem for quite some time and everyone i asked said it's the above, but the problem actually had nothing to do with it. Tube mic preamps have a little bit of hum anyway(I use a MIC200 Tube preamp), and with the wrong cables and/or connecting straight into a pc soundcard could make you hear a majorly annoying hum. As soon as i connected my preamp to an audio interface with a new xlr to 1/4 cable, the hum disapeared completely. This might not be your problem, but don't dismiss the idea as i realized it's not always electric grounding. Worth checking out.

My two cents..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used." --Craig Anderton

"Love Thy Neighbor, But Don't Get Caught"

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    28 times

What, if any, of the equipment has the third pin ground on the power cord?
    That will be a major factor in a ground loop.

Disconnect parts of the signal chain to see when the hum starts showing up. This will help you know where to focus.

Humming tube preamps could be a weakening power supply,
    Bad cable shields could allow outside fields into the signal wires, but this will usually be affected by cable placement; proximity to the source of the field.
    etc.

Liked
    0 times

if you have your laptop and your interface plugged in to the same outlet, unplug the laptop. mine does this when both are plugged in to the same outlet/strip, and unplugging the laptop or plugging it into another outlet usually fix this problem for me.

Thread Info

Adobe Audition Thread, Can't get rid of hum in Recording Software; Would love it if someone can help. I'm recording spoken voice only onto my laptop, coming out of a little ...