• x 1 Post By JayGee

Thread: It never ends!!!

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5244 times

Default It never ends!!!

As you probably figured out, the server was down for 8 hours. I went to bed at 4am with it working fine and woke up at 11am to see it dead. I was kicking and screaming to get my server administration team to do anything. Of course, 3 different times today I heard, "Your server is up and running" just to click on the site and nothing come up. ARRRRHHHH.

It's obvious that my problems didn't mean a whole lot to them. That's why I pay them $1,400 per year to do maybe an hour of work.

I don't get too upset when the 16 year old pregnant girl at McDonald's is in no particular hurry and doesn't seem to give a damn if I get what I pay for. I expect that from fast food (and that's why I don't willingly eat it). I don't expect it from educated dudes who are paid well. I'm not happy. I'll be looking for a new service.

What pissed me off the most is no one gave me a real explanation as to why the server was having problems.

To avoid further problems, we have permanently disabled the
    networkManager and enable only the network:
    Oh!!! That explains everything ....except why it happened and why it won't happen again.

This year has been one constant kick in the face after another. I can't seem to get a break. I'm going to get superstitious (like all desperate people do) and pretend that 2011 is cursed. I can't wait for 2012 to begin.

Brandon

Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Liked
    139 times

Default Re: It never ends!!!

I was wondering why I couldn't get on the site today. There's no such thing as customer service anymore.

Is this why the pages load slow. Because of the server. Just wondering because sometimes this site is slow about loading pages. Maybe it's just my internt connection but other sites aren't like that.
    Last edited by jackslab1; 12-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    Tascam-1800,Yamaha Hs-50M monitors w/HS 10 sub, Cubase 6, win 7 64bit 3.30ghz 12 gb ram. MXL990/991, shure sm57, cad 7 pro drum mics,hercules dj controller, M-AUDIO oxygen61 controller.Understanding wife, 5 dogs who love music, and a goal for success.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5244 times

The slow site problem has been an issue for the past few weeks. I'm not entirely sure what caused it but I'm working to fix it. The only problem is I have no idea what I'm doing some I'm just following tutorials and things like that. I've noticed the sites CPU usage has been CRAZY high lately. It's all probably related.

Brandon

Blog Entries
    Liked
    3256 times

At least when the site was down, I felt confident YOU work working your butt off trying to get things fixed, even if we can't say that for the guys you pay $$$ to.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5244 times

Yeah, I wish "A for effort" existed in the real world. 'Til then I'll just keep slugging it out until it does.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    101 times

Sorry to hear about the experience working with your hired guns.

I recently had a system that was using 70-80% cpu directly after boot and no process could be traced to the usage.
    After some deeper investigation, it turned out the south bridge chip was starting to fail, and the damn thing was sucking
    up all the cycles on failing pci bus interrupts.

Hang in there Brandon, I'm sure 2012 will be better unless the Mayans were right...

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5244 times

I recently had a system that was using 70-80% cpu directly after boot and no process could be traced to the usage.
    After some deeper investigation, it turned out the south bridge chip was starting to fail, and the damn thing was sucking
    up all the cycles on failing pci bus interrupts.
    Great! I was hoping that computer hardware was perfect and all problems could be solved with a little reboot or something.

Hang in there Brandon, I'm sure 2012 will be better unless the Mayans were right...
    Ha! I hope the Mayans were right as there is not a single shred of evidence that they ever said the world was going to end in 2012.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    101 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    Great! I was hoping that computer hardware was perfect and all problems could be solved with a little reboot or something.
    The odds are that it is a software problem, but sometimes hardware problems can arise.

I'm more than willing to wait a few more seconds for a page load on your site, most others sites would have me hitting
    the back button.
    LazyE likes this.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    61 times

Brandon, whatever bugs that you run into on this forum, keep in mind that for a while now youtube has had a bug where for a while after a video is posted, the view count maxes out in the low 300's. Since it started the brain trust that is the youtube comments section has gone to town on it, there's barely a page where you don't see "3000 likes and 304 views, ... (inane garbage here possibly relating to justin bieber)!

This article was written 141 days ago and the bug is still there, from what I can see they haven't resolved it yet Daily Dot | YouTube view counts are driving people buggy

So next time you run into a bug, just remember even something as big as youtube has glitches that they don't get around to (or can't) fixing for almost 5 months. As long as the site's not down and our threads aren't gone most people probably won't notice. In this case the site was down, I guess that kind of defeats the purpose of what I was saying, but you get the idea.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5244 times

Thanks dude! I'm one of those hysterical types....at least when it comes to this site. I don't bitch much when supper is burned.

One of my ways of getting through all of life's challenges is to think of all the idiots that have already done X task. That makes me feel like I can do it, too. So if Youtube takes 5 months to solve bugs, it's not a huge deal if it takes me 5.5 months. That takes pressure off of me...which helps me get these bugs fixed quicker.

Liked
    4 times

Hi Brandon, just read this thread I think I know what the problem was, It's one of those computer buffs who put up a recording here and no one liked it. It's just his way of saying thank you, lol

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5244 times

What's funny is you may be 100% right. You never know with this stuff.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    251 times

Be happy you didn't see this.
    Last edited by dudermn; 01-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Info

News Thread, It never ends!!! in RecordingReview.com News And Updates; As you probably figured out, the server was down for 8 hours. I went to bed at 4am with it ...