Liked
    0 times

Default Using an external sound card with Cubase

I just recently got a usb sound card for my laptop to use with mixing and listening to music and whatnot. I went through all of the installation and every sound the computer makes, including itunes and movies, goes through the external sound card and no sound comes out of the lap top speakers.

However, When I try to listen to my recordings in cubase sx3, all of the sound comes out of the laptop speakers and not the external sound card. How do I set up Cubase to use the usb sound card for playback?

the sound card by the way is: Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster X-Fi 70SB109000000 Surround 5.1
    Last edited by xBTWATWDx; 09-12-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Using an external sound card with Cubase

I'm not a 100% positive, but I think you must go to vst connections on the top menu, and go to "devices" scroll down to vst connections, then it will show you a box with input/output. If you have loaded/intalled the audio interface thing right, then cubase should recognize it. Select audio output, then press the + button, which is add a bus. where it says "audio device" select which ever one it is, (in my case presonus firebox) and then you have selected your new device as you audio output. All audio should then run though it. You can select on your computer preferences (mac?) so that all audio runs through it. I hope this solves your issue. When I got my audiointerface, it took me a while to figure this out.
    GEAR: Moog Voyager, Roland Juno 106, JX-3P, MPC 1000, Sherman filterbank 2 (rack) Korg Koass pd 3, Hammond T-211

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5022 times

To get all of your sounds in Windows to route to the stock soundcard, go to control panels and select your stock soundcard as the default audio playback thingy.

In Cubase, once the audio interface has been installed correctly (via the Devices menu mentioned above) click on F4 and make sure your ins and outs are routed properly.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

I am familiar with setting up audio devices. I have cubase on 2 computers and the other is hooked up to a firepod. I am using the usb audio card on my laptop, which is the computer I do most of my mixing on.

fyi I am using a Dell Inspiron 2200 with windows XP.

I went into the control panel and selected the usb device as my default recording and playback audio device. This did not help. When in the device setup window in cubase, there is no driver specifically for the usb device. I am so perplexed because literally every other program on my computer uses the usb sound card, but for some reason Cubase refuses and will only use the on board speekers.

Liked
    0 times

Okay,

I have done a little research and this is what I have figured out. the sound card does not work because it does not come with and ASIO driver. I have done some reading and have found the sound blaster can be supported by an ASIO driver, but Creative does not have one.

Anyone who knows where to find and ASIO driver that supports the creative usb soundblaster x-fi 5.1 surround. please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5022 times

I'd check ASIO4All first.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

Okay,

I have been using Asio4all for a long time. It automatically routs the audio to the on board speakers. perhaps there are some settings I need to adjust within the asio4all control panel

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5022 times

What happens is you set your external soundcard as the default playback in Windows in Control Panels > Sound and Audio

Brandon