Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default setting up microphone with cubase 5

HI All, I'm struggling to setup a usb mike with cubase 5. I'm using win 7 64 bit, with a tascam 122L.
    Is there a tutorial anywhere which might help?
    thanks
    Dafydd

LRM
    Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    50 times

Default Re: setting up microphone with cubase 5

I really think that should be avoided - you should go into a preamp before going into the computer but to each his/her own :-)

Anyhow, in the Connections panel (can't remember which menu its in - I'm not in the studio), on the Input tab, add a new mono connection and set the input device to that of the USB mic driver. If that driver is not showing up in the list you may need to use a different ASIO driver. ASIO4All is a free, good one.

Once you get that input set up, just create a mono track, set the input to the new input channel you created and output to your main stereo out or where ever you need it to go. Finally, and maybe this is your struggling point, turn on monitoring for that track. It's the little ring next to the larger ring that goes red when you select a channel. When you turn on monitoring for that channel the little ring is brown. To hear play back of what you have recorded, you need to turn off the monitoring.

I can shoot out some screen shots in a few hours if you are still confused.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

many thanks. I've tried to follow the steps you suggest, but I only get a limited option on the inputs: stereo in _ left or right I don't get the microphone option. thanks again
    Dafydd

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5312 times

Press F4. That'll show you the input/output option busses you have setup. From there you can use those on the tracks as you wish.

Brandon

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

thanks Brandon, using the f4, which I didn't know about, I can see the stereo out is now usb mike 1 and 2. however on the outputs tab it says not connected - which I don't understand. thanks for the help, I know how infuriating it can be helping someone with the very basics!

LRM
    Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    50 times

Originally Posted by dafyddw
    thanks Brandon, using the f4, which I didn't know about, I can see the stereo out is now usb mike 1 and 2. however on the outputs tab it says not connected - which I don't understand. thanks for the help, I know how infuriating it can be helping someone with the very basics!
    So now that you found the Input Connections, from the sound of it, you only have one stereo input. For most mic recordings you only need a mono input so now you add one. Click on the "Add Bus" button and you get a little dialog window like this:
    Name:  addmono.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  12.5 KB
    Change the top drop down to Mono and click Ok and you will have a new mono bus added.

Next, you need to set what that input is coming from (you can apply this to the stereo bus as well if you have some kind of stereo input coming in like a keyboard or patch machine). Just click on the area that says "Not Connected" and you get a drop down with all the available inputs and select the soundcard input or one of them if there are multiple.
    Name:  selectdevice.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  62.2 KB
    Next, check your input busses: They work exactly the same way. The first (or only) stereo output bus should already be set to use the default Left and Right outputs for your system. If it also says "not connected" just go through the same steps, selecting your systems output (sound card I am assuming). You might need to click on the little + next to the channel to open it to show the left and right.

Finally, add an audio track in your project and set the input and output busses properly.
    Name:  inout.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  27.6 KB
    Turn on monitoring for the track
    Name:  monitoring.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  12.8 KB
    And test talking in the mic. If you don't see anything happening you'll have to play trial and error on which input device to select until you find the one the mic is coming in on.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

many thanks Brandon, I think I've got it!
    cheers
    Dafydd