Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times

Default Popping and clicking in cubase...

I'm pretty much out of ideas here about what could be causing this problem so if someone could help me solve this issue.

First off, my specs:

Windows Vista
    Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ
    2GB Ram
    Tascam fw1082
    Cubase Studio 4 with latest updates

I've also just recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything from scratch so the hard drive is nice a clean.

Ok, to the problem. I am experiencing a lot of crackling and popping when playing back, navigating or generally doing whatever in cubase if there's even only 3 or 4 audio tracks and maybe guitar rig being used on two of them. I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't be experiencing anything like that with a computer of my specs.

Here's everything I've done so far to try and resolve the issue:
    updated to latest driver for soundcard.
    Disabled the onboard sound through the bios
    I set the proccess scheduling to "background services" in windows
    Made sure there's no programmes running in the background that would take up much memomry, etc.
    Made sure the fw1082 is selected as the asio driver in cubase.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go down the road of updating my motherboards bios and stuff which will be a pain because the Live Update 3 utility that MSI have just seems to freeze when I'm trying to update the bios with that....looks like I'll have to flash the bios which is something I've never done and don't really want to do.

Anyway, before I have to resort to something like that does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks!

If I crank up the audio latency buffer size to 2048 the cracking and popping does go away but I doubt I really should have to settle for that. From what I can tell I should be able to bring the buffer size down to at least 128 on my system.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Popping and clicking in cubase...

the answer is your buffer settings, buffer should be constantly tweaked pending on what your doing, ie when tracking real time using a guitar amp vst you obviously need it low, but when your finished your live work turn the buffer up, also i'm curious, why 2 instances of grig? it makes more sense to print the guitar with g rig in your input chain, yeah i know some of the flexibility is lost doing that but if you know you have a good tone it makes sense to work this way,
    some of my projects have over 100 tracks so what i do is make a 2nd project with very low buffer just to do the guitars then export and then import to the main project, it takes about 1 minute to do and saves the problems,
    also 2gb of ram is nothing when using vista personal id go back to xp as right now it works more efficiently than vista with cubase
    Last edited by chris beaver; 10-19-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: becauze i cante spels -_-

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5032 times

the answer is your buffer settings
    I don't agree. Not in this situation anyway. 4 tracks and 2 instances of Guitar Rig should use a small fraction of the available CPU power.

This seems to be an issue where crackle and pops are occuring regardless of CPU usage.

I've encountered this one before. Unfortunately, it was one of those movies with no conclusion. I ended up formating my computer 7 times. (Seriously). One the 7th try the problem went away. I'm not aware of any setting (in the BIOS or operating system) that I had changed, but you never really know.

I wish I could be of more help as I know how horrendous this is.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

chris beaver..thanks for your reply but I'm more inclined to go with brandondrury's opinion that I shouldn't be running into these problems with only 4 tracks and two instances of guitar right. Even if I didn't have guitar rig on at all and I had only a 2 or three more tracks I'd run into this problem.

I'm really not going to give up on this though, even if it does mean formatting my computer seven more times like brandondrury! I might try XP again and see if that gets rid of the problem but since they won't be releasing any updates for xp after the new year I'd rather stick with vista.

Can ANYONE come up with any other ideas on how to solve this issue?

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    530 times

Laptop of desktop? What is your harddrive?

I do agree that 2G of RAM in Vista is like 500M in XP, very minimal.

Liked
    0 times

Hey Electriclight. It's a desktop. Hard drive is 320GB partitioned into two...one for Vista and the other for software and files etc.

And not try and be a smartass here or anything are you honestly telling me that anyone who is using vista with the newest version of cubase with 2gb of ram should expect to have popping and crackling with only several tracks of audio and a crappy buffer size of 512? I just find that hard to believe.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

We had to get rid of Vista in order to work with Cubase. Vista just doesn't play nice with it ( and a lot of other stuff, it seems ).

Went to XP and have had a muuuuch better experience. We are running 4gb of RAM and it didn't matter. Vista was just hating on Cubase 4.

Also, look into your settings for cross-fades and the like. I *think* I remember reading on a forum where folks were having pops when they would cut a part of an audio track and their settings for fade-outs or fade-ins were somehow messed up. Like the program was trying to apply a fade where it wasn't supposed to and that was causing a ruckus.

I'm not positive if this is what's going on with you, but might be something to look into.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    530 times

Besides drivers Tascam also has a Firmware Update for your device. Have you installed that?

And not try and be a smartass here or anything
    Whenever I begin a sentence with an apology, I rewrite it.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

I'm sorry Electric, but I ain't a gonna rewrite this.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>

Liked
    0 times

I had the same problem. I adjusted the buffer size, works fine now.

At the top of the screen you can select "Devices" then "Device Setup" then "VST mulit track" and make sure you are using the proper driver and that your buffer settings are OK.

If you click the box labeled "Expert" then you can select "Low latency" or choose not to select it.

After I adjusted my buffer and turned off low latency my songs stopped popping and clicking.

Keep in mind, I am no expert on the subject of MTR and I was just following advice I got from the Cubase and Lexicon forums. If you do plan on messing with the settings make sure you write down or remeember where they were set before or you may forget.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    5 times

I get this problem fairly regularly (particularly if I'm using some of the big east west sample kits). I am running XP with 1GB of RAM (which runs very nicely most of the time!).... 2GB of RAM should really be regarded as the MINIMUM for any PC running Vista. If this was me, I'd be getting more RAM as my first port of call to cure the problem.
    I feel reasonably certain this would cure your problem. let me know how you get on.
    Please vote for my song 'Spooky Freak' in the haloween competition

Liked
    0 times

Hey guys,

In relation to the advise that I should switch to XP again because using 'only' 2GB of memory in vista will cause me trouble...I posted a thread over at cubase.net asking if anyone experiences problems using cubase 4 with 2 gigs or ram and using vista and the people that have replied so far have said they have had none.

Soooooo I think forgetting about there not being enough memory and vista being the problem is something that should be done. It has to be something else.

I'd love any more suggestions and I appreciate the feedback so far though!

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    4 times

Originally Posted by Pauleeeeeeee
    Hey guys,

In relation to the advise that I should switch to XP again because using 'only' 2GB of memory in vista will cause me trouble...I posted a thread over at cubase.net asking if anyone experiences problems using cubase 4 with 2 gigs or ram and using vista and the people that have replied so far have said they have had none.

Soooooo I think forgetting about there not being enough memory and vista being the problem is something that should be done. It has to be something else.

Allright, you have a bunch of experienced people here, trying to help you out, but obviously you know better....Good luck !

Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by tatteredstudios
    Allright, you have a bunch of experienced people here, trying to help you out, but obviously you know better....Good luck !

Hey Tatteredstudios,

I honestly don't mean to come off as an ass. And I do appreciate the advice so sorry if it looks like I'm just fobbing off any help I'm getting but I just don't see how a lot of people are telling me they are having absolutely no trouble using vista and then people like yourself tell me that vista is the problem.

I just don't see why it's one way with some people and the other with others that's all.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    530 times

I just don't see why it's one way with some people and the other with others that's all.
    Well it could be your system is more taxing to the resources than other devices since it is also a controller...

I noticed you never answered my question about firmware, so I guess you have already ruled that out as well.

Here's another: Do you have a Texas Instrument Firewire Chipset? Many devices don't play well with other brands.

I don't know who has or has not answered your Cubase.net question but that site is loaded with Vista/Cubase complaints. If you are devoted to Vista that's fine...enjoy.

Besides drivers, Tascam also has a Firmware Update for your device. Have you installed that?

Liked
    0 times

Electriclight,

Sorry I missed the question about the firmware. The firmware I'm using is the latest from the Tascam website.

Also I really doubt it's the firewire chipset. For one, when I was using the us122 from tascam before I got the FW1082 a few weeks ago I was still have the same problems as I am now and that soundcard used USB.

And it's not that I'm devoted to Vista or that there's some fanboy type thing in me that I just can't let go of but it really bothers me that a lot of people just jump on the "get rid of vista, that's your problem" bandwagon. Plenty of people use cubase 4 with vista just find and have specs quite similar to mine from what I can see.

Considering that Microsoft are no longer going to be releasing any updates for XP in the new year I would preferably like to stay with Vista, that's all.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5032 times

Also I really doubt it's the firewire chipset.
    Wrong answer. The right answer would be "I checked the list at the manufacturer's website and it said that my chipset is good to go".

it really bothers me that a lot of people just jump on the "get rid of vista, that's your problem" bandwagon.
    Well noted. However, the guys who post here frequently have seen so many problems with Vista that it kind of hardens you. There is a point where after enough evidence is taken in, you start to believe that maybe the Nazis were bad guys.

I am aware of people getting Vista to work. So it's not a totally lost cause. If you can get it figured out, please tell us how you did it. However, there just have been a greater percentage of problems from people who know exactly what they are doing with Vista.

Of course, XP isn't perfect.

Brandon

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    5 times

Hey guys,

OK, but I'm not knocking Vista at all (I don't use it, because I don't see the need to upgrade), my suggestion was based on the fact that I get very similar problems when my system is playing back with quite low memory (lots of samples loaded etc.). I would still go for the more memory option as my first port of call, either that, or if you'd rather not add memory - why not try installing XP (or even better Win2k or 98) as a dual boot on your system and see if you get the same problems in Cubase? That would give you a definitive answer on whether your problem is with memory/vista. Just a suggestion.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hi everyone,
    it's my first time posting here.

I have a very similar problem and I've found an interesting piece of software to check latency problems. I suggest you visit Thesicon's "DPC Latency Checker" page. They've got a very interesting piece of software to check latency and a brief explanation of how drop-outs occur, which are in most cases responsible for the noises.

I hope it brings some light, good luck!

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    1 times

Hey guys,

I have been actively working in the IT industry since the age of 16 and have been lecturing for the last 5 years. One thing I have learned is that what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. There is also not always a difinitive answer to every problem that exists or could exist. Mostly it is through a process of illimination that cures or answers are derived.
    No one is saying that it is DEFINATELY Vista or DEFINATELY a shortage of RAM. These are all suggestions for you to try to help u get to the cause of your problem. Just because someone on a forum doesnt get problems using the apparent same configuration as you do doesnt mean that its not the problem. Just because no one else is getting the same problems you are getting with Vista and 2Gigs Ram doesnt necessarily mean that Vista or RAm is not the culprit here. There are those that hate Vista and always get problems when using it (I include myself in this group) and there are those who love it and swear by it.
    What Im saying is: try different things. How can u possibly say for definite that it isnt Vista? Have you tried using another OS? Have you tried using more or different types of RAM? Install XP (or any other OS) in a Virtual Machine on your computer and see if you get the same errors. Try putting in more RAM. Does it help or not? Try using different Audio Interfaces.
    I totally agree with you that you should not be experiencing the problems you are with your current setup so help everyone here to help you get to the bottom of this. Btw, I would not be flashing BIOS's etc at this point. Thats something best left for someone in the know and I personally doubt that its got anything to do with all this. Please keep posting here and let us know how you progress to solving the popping and crackling.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

Yep, would be nice to know if the problem ever got sorted out and how, if so.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    530 times

The last I know he had installed XP and was still having the same problems - on another thread.

God Jr.
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks, Electric.
    <~ Vulconizer ~>

Liked
    0 times

I know this is probably old news, but audio interfaces on Windows based PC suffer signal quality issues due to IRQ sharing. If you go into your device manager and look at resources by type, you will see each device that is connected to your PC, by its IRQ (interrupt request). If any device is sharing an IRQ with your audio device, you will get snaps and crackles. The trick is to move your devices around until your audio device has an IRQ all to itself. On a desktop system, this means moving your interface cards around to different slots. On a laptop, this means buying an interface that connects to your PCMCIA slots. If your devices are hardwired to your motherboard, you have no choice but to disable the devices that are interfering with your audio interface, if possible.

To avoid such future problems, check the specs on your next computer purchase and make sure that it is capable of dedicating a IRQ to 1 device.

Another thing to check is make sure your audio interface is a true USB 2.0 high speed device. I learned that clever wording may convince you that the audio device of choice is faster than it really is.

After applying all this knowledge, I finally setup a system that runs Cubase 4 LE without glitches and popping.

Liked
    0 times

Ok I'm back. Since I was last here I still haven't solved this issue. I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown at this stage.

I even went and installed a new motherboard with an intel chipset as I started to think that it might have been the VIA chipset on my motherboard causing problems. Apparently not though and the situation seems to be even worse now, even when just using windows normally.

I have no idea what else to do.
    Onboard sound on the motherboard is disabled.
    There's no IRQ conflicts.
    All operating system and hardware have been updated with the latest drivers, firmware and patches.
    My old us122 which uses a USB connection has crackling problems with them same system so the issue isn't firewire.
    The memory modules in the computer are exactly the same make and type.
    There's no hardware or PCI cards, etc attached to the computer unless they are absolutely necessary.

I have literally no ideas left.

If anyone can give me any help I'd appreciate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast