Liked
    12 times

Default Making the Cubase LE4 reverb sound good

I've been playing with the settings of the standard Cubase LE4 reverb, it's called Roomworks something. I know it's a really basic reverb, but do you have any tips for making it sound good?

What I've been trying is to add one insert with a short delay time (around .6) and a lot of mix (over 50) as my basic delay. Then I've added one or two other inserts of the same Roomworks effect with different settings to try to create a reverb. Everything sounds like I'm in the bathroom.

Any advice? (I'm sure a lot of you are going to say: "Buy a decent reverb plugin")

Fighter Pilot-Caliber Member
    High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

Default Re: Making the Cubase LE4 reverb sound good

Although Roomworks isnt the best reverb money can buy, I think your underestimating it . It is very good. Atleast plenty good.

If your not getting the sounds you want from it, more than likely its because you dont know yr way around it well enough as you have stated.

Start with the presets and shape to your liking. Start by shortening the decay times and use smaller room sizes that what theyve started you with.

More often than not the presets are desingned less for usable sounds and more towards showing the units capabilities.
    Last edited by willj; 11-16-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Liked
    12 times

Aah! I hadn't even realized that you can change the room type until now! Thanks, will!

High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

You got it my brother. Ill be the first to admit i love the sound of a big washy reverb more than anything. But it will ruin yr music in a split second if not kept under control.

Shoot for more of an ambience. What real life sound have you ever heard with a 5 second decay time. None or very few.

When you think reverb, think what it sounds like to clap your hands in a bedroom or a living room or a small hall or bathroom. Dont think grand canyon or even gymnasium. That stuff is for special effect only.

Try to be patient these things take time.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    625 times

Originally Posted by Shadrak
    I've been playing with the settings of the standard Cubase LE4 reverb, it's called Roomworks something. I know it's a really basic reverb, but do you have any tips for making it sound good?

What I've been trying is to add one insert with a short delay time (around .6) and a lot of mix (over 50) as my basic delay. Then I've added one or two other inserts of the same Roomworks effect with different settings to try to create a reverb. Everything sounds like I'm in the bathroom.

Any advice? (I'm sure a lot of you are going to say: "Buy a decent reverb plugin")
    I can't imagine anything good coming from sending a signal through THREE reverb inserts. Typically, reverb is used as a SEND effect and mixed in with the original signal so you hear some dry sound. If using as insert, play with the wet / dry ratio to make something approaching natural.

willjrockstar is correct. Too much reverb is #1 rookie mistake.
    Opinions are like demos - I don't want to hear yours. - Stephen Colbert

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5305 times

What real life sound have you ever heard with a 5 second decay time. None or very few.
    School gyms and Cathedrals come to mind and those are unusable unless you going for something completely off the wall.

Most of my reverbs fall in the .33 second decay to 1 second decay ballpark. For Celine Dione style vocals I may go as high as 2 or 3 seconds, but this is with at least 100ms of predelay and it's set to be extremely low in level generally. Discretion is always necessary with reverb.

I do think that not enough reverb is beginner mistake #2, it takes a LONG time before most people get to this point.

Brandon

High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

Originally Posted by Electriclight

willjrockstar is correct. Too much reverb is #1 rookie mistake.
    But i dont understand Electric, it sounds so damn good.

If you love something set it free

High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury

I do think that not enough reverb is beginner mistake #2, it takes a LONG time before most people get to this point.

Brandon
    Fully agreed if i understand you correctly.

Example; It took me 10 years of hearing my productions before i finally quit putting grand hall reverb on everything.

Still to this day its not out of the question that i become a little heavy handed at times.

Liked
    12 times

Thank you guys for your input. I was able to make it sound better by choosing a different room type. You're right, Will, it actually sounds pretty good!

Pretty soon I will post my first mixes on the bashing forum, so keep a lookout.

High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    922 times

Good dude. You can always throw an eq on yr reverb.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    6 times

Don't underestimate the power of the eq for reverb. I usually bus it to a Aux track and eq the highs and lows out of it, so it sounds more like a vintage reverb unit. You could take off anything below 100hz and start sloping off at about 6-8khz. I find it sits much better in the mix.
    www.HoustonMusicReviews.com
    Audio gear and music reviews!

Mega Member
    Liked
    346 times

You can also download the free SIR impulse reverb, and the free "theatre" and "catherdral" impulses on that (German) page.
    Has massive latency though, so you have to add it after recording...

S
    Reason 7 - Cubase Essential 5 - Komplete 9 - AMD955 Desktop - Win7 64-bit - 8G Ram - Presonus Firestudio Project - Casio Privia, Axiom25:2nd gen