Export and audio mixdown problems

Export and audio mixdown problems

Ah what the heck, in for a penny in for a pound... might as well ask this one too....
    I'm having trouble with the audio mixdown too on Cubase A14. I choose FILE - EXPORT- Audio Mix Down and then a windowy thing pops up. I name the file, choose the path and then underneath select Wave File. Under Audio Engine Output I have only the one choice of Stereo Out (Stereo) and I set the sample rate as advised at 44.100kHz and the bit depth to 16 bit. Then I press EXPORT and it says:
    An error occurred during the export!

So what did I do wrong? My plan was to change it from .cpr to .wav and then use another programme (Sound Switch File Converter) to change it to mp3 and then add to my mp3 player and/or burn to disc.

Advice (in incredibly simple terms please as I'm as dim as they come with this stuff) greatly appreciated thanks!

2. join Win $100 In Mic Cables! Join Today! Join! It's free!

Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

What drive are you trying to export the wave file to ?
    Make sure it has enough space to create the file.

Does it error immediately during export ?
    Does the progress window popup before the error ?

Have you set the left and right locators properly before you went to export?

You need to set these to tell Cubase the region you want to mix down. You can set them by using Ctrl+Click on the timeline to set the left locator, and Alt+Click to set the right locator.

Hope this helps - I may be barking up the wrong tree!
    Gear: Cubase 7, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Focusrite OctoPre MkII, Audient Mico Preamp
    Mics: Geffel UMT800, SE3 Stereo Pair, SE1A Stereo Pair, GrooveTubes GT55, Beyerdynamic Opus Drum Mic set

Originally Posted by Rob K
    Have you set the left and right locators properly before you went to export?

You need to set these to tell Cubase the region you want to mix down. You can set them by using Ctrl+Click on the timeline to set the left locator, and Alt+Click to set the right locator.

Hope this helps - I may be barking up the wrong tree!
    I was thinking that too, but wasn't sure if it would throw an error.
    You might be right though, if they had the left and right indicators backwards and this resulted in a negative time.

High End Gear Lover

Hey Buff, you should be able to burn it MP3 right in cubase. Just select mp3 instead of wav.

Other than that, you sound like you have yr settings right. Usually when you dont have the locators set, cubase will say, "set the locators"

Oh and the locators show up in red when they are backwards and blue when they are in the proper setting.

Will, I believe you can only mix direct to mp3 in the full version of cubase. Something to do with licensing cost of the mp3 codec..
    Gear: Cubase 7, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Focusrite OctoPre MkII, Audient Mico Preamp
    Mics: Geffel UMT800, SE3 Stereo Pair, SE1A Stereo Pair, GrooveTubes GT55, Beyerdynamic Opus Drum Mic set

Ah..............................
    I didn't know the thing about the left and the right thingys....
    Ok... I'll give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

And no, you're quite right, there's no mp3 option.

Barking up the wrong tree LOL! - I train dogs for a living

Many thanks. I will not let Cubase beat me.

9. Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

I have a similar problem.
    Error message comes up with:
    Does not have enough disk space to export.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards
    J

Not had that message, but it is difficult at first when you aren't used to it. The good news is that several months down the line I'm recording away in audio no problem now and have got the hang of the export thingy. There is no mp3 option available but I got a free file converter (Switchfile???) and that does it quite simply for me. Just got to conquer MIDI recording next...

Hi Jimbob

Most likely you have set your locators the wrong way round, so the start locator is at the end and vice versa. Try Ctrl+Left click on the timeline where you want the mix to start, and Alt+Left click where you want it to end. The range should appear in a bluey colour. If it's red, you've set the locators the wrong way.

It's a stupid error message, a bug in Cubase really. It has been fixed in more recent versions.
    Last edited by Rob K; 02-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.

I am also having problems exporting mixdown, only one track, no error message, the created wav file has no sound but is the right file size to indicate it is all there. I got it to work twice after installing the Cubase 5 updater, then it quit again. The markers are located correctly. Tech support suggestios were already in place.

13. Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

Hello All,

I am having a different mixdown problem.

I am getting no audio - just a flat line in the resulting file. (I am setting it to be created as a track in the project). I have even tried taking the audio file from the folder where it is created, and placing it into my project. No dice.

Some housekeeping items related to this:

I am using Cubase 4 version 4.5.2 on XP
    I do not have the monitors (track monitor button) set to "on" in any of the tracks
    I do not have record enabled on any of the the tracks
    Faders are all up and set correctly
    IO are set properly in VST Device setting...
    No problem recording audio, using inserts, etc...

I have not had the problem previously, and I am STUMPED.

Thanks in advance for help with this,
    Eva

High End Gear Lover

Originally Posted by EvaEva
    Hello All,

I am having a different mixdown problem.

I am getting no audio - just a flat line in the resulting file. (I am setting it to be created as a track in the project). I have even tried taking the audio file from the folder where it is created, and placing it into my project. No dice.

I do not have the monitors (track monitor button) set to "on" in any of the tracks

Thanks in advance for help with this,
    Eva
    Hi Eva. I find your post very confusing. What are you trying to do? Export a session you have recorded into a stereo file?

High End Gear Lover

Im guessing thats it.

Have you set your record locators?

Do you have the appropriate boxes checked on the audio mixdown page?
    44/16 > stereo interleaved > wav file >

Do you have the appropriate output buss set up and selected?

16. Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

Yes, all of these things are set correctly.

I'm just trying to mixdown audio tracks in my project. The resulting file is a flat line - no audio. I am using the exact same bitrate and format as I have set for the project, wave, 48K , 24bit.

-Eva

17. Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

I have recorded audio, and am attempting to mix it down. Something that I have done thousands of times before.
    Now, however, I am getting no sound from the resulting file - just a flat line. (I am setting it to be created as a track in the project).

the Left and right locators are where they need to be
    File format, bit rate, sample rate are all set the way that they need to be

Thanks and Kind Regards,
    Eva
    Last edited by brandondrury; 01-24-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Couldn't Care Less About Gear

Are you trying to mix down some audio files and then put them on a track in the same project?
    Tascam-1800,Yamaha Hs-50M monitors w/HS 10 sub, Cubase 6, win 7 64bit 3.30ghz 12 gb ram. MXL990/991, shure sm57, cad 7 pro drum mics,hercules dj controller, M-AUDIO oxygen61 controller.Understanding wife, 5 dogs who love music, and a goal for success.

19. Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

Hi Jack,

Yes, but getting them into a track in my project is not the issue at all - that is entirely secondary. The issue is that for some odd reason that I cannot determine, I'm just not getting any sound on the resulting track. It renders it, and everything seems to happens normally, but I just get a flat line. No sound wave.

Do you use Cubase?

Thanks,
    Eva

Yes, I use cubase 6. I'm just going to throw some things out there. Are any of these tracks muted? On the wave file, does it not have sound? I ask this because it's possible that you just need to zoom in on that wave form.
    Tascam-1800,Yamaha Hs-50M monitors w/HS 10 sub, Cubase 6, win 7 64bit 3.30ghz 12 gb ram. MXL990/991, shure sm57, cad 7 pro drum mics,hercules dj controller, M-AUDIO oxygen61 controller.Understanding wife, 5 dogs who love music, and a goal for success.

21. Re: Export and audio mixdown problems

Hi Jack,

I figured it out. YAY.

In case this is useful - - you probably already know this, but in case this is useful - here is what I changed;

In the export dialogue, the Audio Engine Output has the standard Stereo Output, and then also the choice of any of the other tracks in the project as output Audio channels. I had named one of the tracks instead of the just using Stereo Out. I had forgotten that even though I have the option of having the track render in a new track in the project, it won't work if I assign one of the tracks in the project as the "bucket" for the output.

Regards,
    Eva

Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries

I'll be cleaning this thread up ASAP.

In the mean time, the #1 reason a blank line would occur would be if the an empty bus was selected as the "stuff" to render. On the export screen you can select the stereo bus, individual tracks, groups, aux sends, etc to render. So if you wanted to render down just reverb, you'd select just that one aux on the export screen. Make sure it's set to the stereo bus.

Also, hit play on your project and make sure your stereo bus meter is bouncing up and down. In the past, I've done strange things that caused a different bus to be utilized as the stereo bus. Naturally, if no sound is flowing through the stereo bus, there won't be anything to render.

If these don't help, start a new project in Cubase. Drag a known working audio file into the project, set your markers, and render it. See if that works.

That's all I got. Now on to cleaning up this thread.

----

Thanks a ton for reporting your answer. I didn't see it amongst all the fighting. You beat me to it. I always appreciate when people tell their solution to the problem so others can benefit. I like it even better when I'm right.

Brandon
    Last edited by brandondrury; 01-24-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Glad to see you got it figured out.