Cubase - Output to Computer Speakers

Cubase - Output to Computer Speakers

Well, I've got Cubase LE4, and when I connected my sound card, Audio Kontrol 1, I was able to get sounds recording into the computer. However, the price I paid was that the output would flow through my sound card, then to the output port in the sound card so that that I can connect headphones and/or speakers.

This is not what I wanted. Is there some way that I can get my input from the sound card, but the output to the computer speakers, like through the computer?

Before I connected my card, Cubase treated my computer like it's host, so that all input and outputs were going through my computer sound card (which at the moment is not really connected, or rather in a bad condition). Then, when i connected the card, Cubase started treating it as the new host, and all input/output connections went straight through the card instead. Then I had to find myself a headphone and connect it to the sound card to hear the sounds I was recording. It's probably best, but it gets annoying at times. I am able of making a lot of sound, so I will use that opportunity to calm my ears (iPod headphones are starting to hurt my ears when recording/working on my music 24/7)

How do I separate the input and output connections to sound card and computer instead of having the sound card to completely dominate?

2. join Win $100 In Mic Cables! Join Today! Join! It's free!

Re: Cubase - Output to Computer Speakers

I am not sure what the problem really is. You say "Computer speakers" do you mean the cheap single cone buzzer speaker embedded inside the computer? Or are you talking about standalone monitors (cheap or expensive does not matter in this case)?

If the latter, plug them into the Audio Kontrol output lines. If the connectors do not match, buy the correct connector adapters ($5.00 US).

If the former - stick with the ipod ear plugs, your ears will thank you.

Yes, both should work the same when you set it up right.

Cubase can only use one audio system. A card and its ASIO driver is the system.

If it's built into your motherboard or came with your computer, it's just an audio system, you bought a better one. Replace the old one with the new one, everything should work the same. You just have to configure it to work how you want.

If you want to make it a serious music computer you wouldn't have internet, sounds when you click things, AVsoftware or anything but your audio apps.
    I never finish a mix, just abandon it.

Well, now everything works just fine. What I mean is that the new sound card is, however connected and working, stealing the output connection so that I need to go through it with outputs coming from Cubase. I simply can't get used to listening to some videos over YouTube or music over the computer, and then having to switch, putting on the earplugs every time I will continue to work on the music I am making.

Yes, I mean regular computer speakers, bought from a computer store to serve as output to all sounds I play on the computer. I just don't see why it would be necessary of me to have TWO pairs of speakers to serve output from the computer regulary (YouTube videos, music, instant messaging programs and so on...) and Cubase (the music I work with on Cubase LE 4) at the same time, from the same directions... I really don't want to take my time switching the audio plugs from the computer to the Audio Kontrol 1 EVERY time I work on my projects, as the computer is underneath the table and the Audio Kontrol 1 is on top of it, so I have to pull the audio cable up behind the worktable every time.

Can't I make the speakers (Logitech in this case) serve both my sound card output and the computer output at the same time?

If it isn't possible, then I'll just have to live with this...

Forget about the sound card in the computer, disable it in the bios if you want.

Hook everything up to your pro audio sound card. It can do anything the computer sound card could do. Plug your computer speakers into it.

What's the problem?
    I never finish a mix, just abandon it.

Damn (!) yeah, you're right! I just got to think of it... I could switch so that the computer will use the Audio Kontrol 1 sound card, then simply ignore the one built into the motherboard. Then I can connect my Logitech speakers to the Audio Kontrol 1 and let them remain there to serve as both the output from the computer AND Cubase. Man, that I haven't thought of that before. I simply change the connections in Audio Settings inside the Control Panel.

Thanks for all your help, people. This was of great help to me. Mmm, and I suggest that those of you who have the same problem do the same... Though, as there are several connections in the sound card: 4 plugs for sound output on the back, and one output for headphones in the front, I suggest you use the one for headphones unless you have already set up speakers for surround sound...

Again, many **** handshakes and good luck in the future production to all of you!

Edit: They silly forum blocked the word above. Which is actually another term for "hot" with 4 letters, starting with W, ending with M. ;d

8. Re: Cubase - Output to Computer Speakers

You are now onto the best way to go. It is possible to route the sound to your computer speakers. With the audio setup in the cotrol panel and the routing in cubase it can be easily achieved.
    But why bother, the sound is s&^# !!!

Originally Posted by Browndog
    You are now onto the best way to go. It is possible to route the sound to your computer speakers. With the audio setup in the cotrol panel and the routing in cubase it can be easily achieved.
    But why bother, the sound is s&^# !!!
    Considering that the Audio Kontrol 1 is a better sound card than the one connected to the motherboard, the sound was already crappier than it is now, so if this is s***, then what was it?

Also, I have the possibility of connecting my newly achieved headphones into the computer speakers, without any loss of sound quality. I think this was a genius setup to my studio. Again, thanks.