Liked
    0 times

Default Cubase not registering microphone signal

Alright, I've been Googling around the net searching to find an answer to this problem, not making topics to assure I am not posting old stuff that's already figured out. Since I still haven't found anything, I thought I'd give it a try after all.

My microphone, a simple Okay DM-801 (first time recording, so I'd try something simple), will simply not be registered by Cubase. I am using a sound card called "Audio Kontrol 1" by "Native Instruments". Everything is set up and it registers MIDI signals, so that's not the case. However, when i plug in my microphone in any of the two Inputs in the sound card, it does not get registered in Cubase. Something that might could've been the case is that the First Audio Input has a different plug than the Second Audio Input. The Okay DM-801 microphone uses the same plug as the Second. However, it's said that I can fit the plug in the First, and it does fit, but I am still curious if that might could've been the case... That i need another plug.

I first thought that it was because the sound was muted or turned off, and later on I thought that I might could've selected the wrong track, but it seemed Audio Track, which was according to most forums, the right. I tried both Stereo and Mono Audio Track, but none was picking up the signal.

Now I am about to give up recording vocals to my projects, but I keep on going because singing is what I am best at, so it would've been idiotic if I gave up.

Now, any suggestions to what I should do?
    Last edited by NetherFlame; 02-13-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Cubase not registering microphone signal

what version of cubase? make sure your input routing is corrcet. you want to create a mono input bus in the device connections in the devices menu. then choose that bus for your new tracks input in the inspector window(to the left). definitly check out the getting started pdf for more detail.

Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by 12ZSAWER
    what version of cubase? make sure your input routing is correct. you want to create a mono input bus in the device connections in the devices menu. then choose that bus for your new tracks input in the inspector window(to the left). definitely check out the getting started pdf for more detail.
    I'm using Cubase LE 4. Now, I am totally a newbie to Cubase after all, so it's hopefully no surprise that I can't tell that I know what "routing" is... ;O

Alright, I have changed the input bus. It has been Mono all along, both in VST Connections and the Inspector Window, and also I have checked the Cubase Manual, but they don't explain anything particular for this problem.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    625 times

In Cubase go to Devices> Device Setup adn make sure you have selected the proper driver for the Kontrol thing. Hit Reset and Apply. Then hit F4 and make sure you have input and output channels created. When you insert a new track for recording you must have the MONITOR button on that track enabled to see any activity.
    Opinions are like demos - I don't want to hear yours. - Stephen Colbert

Liked
    0 times

Originally Posted by Electriclight
    In Cubase go to Devices> Device Setup and make sure you have selected the proper driver for the Kontrol thing. Hit Reset and Apply. Then hit F4 and make sure you have input and output channels created. When you insert a new track for recording you must have the MONITOR button on that track enabled to see any activity.
    Alright, I am away right now, and am not currently able to check Cubase, but I am really grateful if this turns out to solve my problem. Buying a new microphone just for the plug, or a new sound card for the fix, more inputs/outputs and/or better sound quality, wouldn't seem reasonable just yet.

I will re-post once I get home and get it tried out. I also hope I can be to help with anything else on the forum once I get things going.

Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by NetherFlame; 03-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Alright, I tried, and here is what I did:

Devices > Device Setup
    -I have never used this before, so I was just running through all of the settings on the different catalogs (shown to the left in the window). Here are the results:

MIDI Port Setup:

ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver

VST System Link

Now, these are a lot of pictures, but it'll make the situation clearer for you...

... no profit!

I also do know that MIDI has nothing to do with this, as microphone signals aren't supporting MIDI, but thought I'd put it in anyways.

I also did press [Reset] and then [Reset] (to agree that I wanted to reset). F4 didn't have any visual effect, and I am not sure what it does, but I did so aswell, and... I do know how the [Record Enable] and [Monitor] buttons work, but as I told you before; Cubase doesn't show any incoming signals on the Transport Panel.

I hope the images work. Good luck solving this.

+Rep to everyone supporting the Thread with suggestions!
    Last edited by NetherFlame; 02-13-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    625 times

MIDI has nothing to do with this and neither does VST LINK. forget those.
    Direct X is the if you want to use your stock soundcard. (Notice how your soundcard is active and your Audio Kontrol is not?)

You have not shown the screen shot of when you first get to Device Setup..But where it says Direct X Full Duplex Driver, There should be more options in that drop box.. If not you need to find out why. Reinstall the drivers and if they don't appear in that screen go to Windows> Control Panel> Hardware, >Devices and see if the drivers are there under audio and game controllers. If they are there check to see if they are enabled.

Liked
    0 times

Well, in that case, the problem should be the missing audio ports to Audio Kontrol 1.

The drivers are working fine...

I also stumbled through the Audio/Sounds settings in the Control Panel. Here are some pictures: (I also did enable them later on, no profit...)

Now all of these are on Norwegian (my mother language), but I'll translate a bit of the main words, and I hope you get the idea anyways:

Lyd/Lyder = Sound/Sounds
    Stemme = Voice
    Maskinvare = Devices (I think )
    Om = About
    Lydavspilling = Playing sound
    Lydinnspilling = Soundrecording

The rest is probably simple.

I believe it was another option I should check, right? I couldn't seem to find it, so I kind of gave up on that one. I figured out that Audio Kontrol 1 is registered by the computer, and it should be, because I can record MIDI from my keyboard via it.

The same problem with the microphone goes with Guitars. When I plug-in a guitar, Cubase doesn't pick up the signal. Probably the same "audio" problem, so... I need to find this out ;O
    Last edited by NetherFlame; 02-14-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Everything solved. Guitars and microphones are both getting inputs and outputs. Thank you everybody! Great tutors all of you!

Still Cubase LE 4 keeps getting (Not Responding) errors if I press a button after I record, and I will try to see if I now can find out how to make several VST Audio System Tabs!

Junk Gear Lover
    Liked
    625 times

I'm glad you got it up and runing. It's customary to state what exactly fixed the problem...

The Not Responding thing sounds like you have not installed the update. Go to Steinberg dot net to get the 4.1.2 update. The originalLE4 was very buggy. Good Luck.

Thread Info

Cubase Thread, Cubase not registering microphone signal in Recording Software; Alright, I've been Googling around the net searching to find an answer to this problem, not making topics to assure ...