Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Cubase-Merging Tracks

Hi, I'm a newbie to just about all of this but have been recording on a low-end program for a while. Had a version of CubaseSX for a few years but gave up on it and have now decided to go back to it with some determination.
    One of the many things I want to do is to merge 2 mono tracks, panned left and right into one stereo track..or create a new stereo track by merging 2 mono tracks. Not sure if it's called Bouncing in some programs.
    I've been through the Operators Manual but can't find this.
    I can see I'll be coming back here a lot as I've just seen the solution to another of my problems. Thanks to the person who posted it and the one who replied.
    Any help with the track merging thing would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    5 times

Default Re: Cubase-Merging Tracks

Originally Posted by asriel57
    One of the many things I want to do is to merge 2 mono tracks, panned left and right into one stereo track..
    Assuming you have each track loaded (eg into tracks 1 and 2) pan track1 left, pan track 2 right then choose export/audio mixdown from the File menu.

There are other ways too - like Bounce Selection (look it up in the manual) but the above will get you started with a new file on disk much as you described.

If you want it in your project, File/Import ...

Ruzz

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5088 times

One of the many things I want to do is to merge 2 mono tracks, panned left and right into one stereo track..or create a new stereo track by merging 2 mono tracks. Not sure if it's called Bouncing in some programs.
    I've been through the Operators Manual but can't find this.
    It's easy. It's called "Export". It's the same exact method for rendering down a mix to a stereo wav file. Just make sure to solo the tracks you want to render.

Brandon

Mega Member
    Liked
    5 times

Another thing you can do is record your sound cards "monitor mixer ins" if possible.
    Just mute any tracks you don't want recorded.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Ruzz, Brandondrury & Magno. Thnks for the responses. Using all tips I have:
    Set Monitor Mixer for the Delta 66
    Recorded 2 mono guitar tracks (only 2 tracks in total to keep things simple)
    Set the pans L & R for each one
    Pressed Solo for each one
    Gone to File-Export-Audio Mixdown
    I then get a warning saying, 'Left and Right Locators Must Be Set!'
    I've looked up Locators in the manual and the definitions are pretty vague and it certainly doesn't explain how to 'Set' them.
    Incidently as added experiments I've recorded the tracks in mono, stereo and tried the input sockets both left and right.
    Still same message about the 'L and R Locators being set'.
    Although a novice at Cubase I usually manage to get things to work through trial and error, but not this time. Please be patient with me. All help greatly appreciated. Jim (asriel57)

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    5 times

Originally Posted by asriel57
    I then get a warning saying, 'Left and Right Locators Must Be Set!'
    I've looked up Locators in the manual and the definitions are pretty vague and it certainly doesn't explain how to 'Set' them.
    It certainly does, but anyway...

The locators determine
    1 - what, in terms of time, gets mixed down when you use audio mixdown
    2 - what gets repeated over and over when looping (cycle mode) is turned on.

You're interested in 1.

Warning - what follows assumes you've not messed with the "standard" cubase key command assignments (I think it's safe to assume you have not).

To set L and R locators
    1 - Left Locator: place your project cursor at the very start of your song (for me that's generally a tick or two before music begins) now hit Ctrl-Pad1 (Pad 1 means the "1" key on the numeric keypad).

2 - Right Locator: place the cursor at the very end of the song (remember to allow for reverb tails etc if you're using fx) and hit Ctrl-Pad2.

Now, in your case, you could probably just select the audio event you're interested in and hit "P" which will set the L and R to encompass just that event.

There are other ways to set L and R too:
    1 - notice the L and R buttons on the transport bar - you can use those (look it up in the manual)
    2 - You can drag/move the left and right locator "handles" up in the ruler - (look it up in the manual).

Last point - if the locators when set encompass a "blue bar" on the ruler - they're set correctly. If it's red instead of blue , that means your R has been located earlier (ie before) the L - meaning they're backwards - so swap them by dragging one of them.

Hope all that helps.

Ruzz

Liked
    0 times

What i sometimes do is send each of the two channels to a stereo bus and use that channel to apply plug-ins and so on..easy and its no hassle just create a stereo bus and change the output of the mon channels to that bus

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5088 times

One of the many things I want to do is to merge 2 mono tracks, panned left and right into one stereo track..or create a new stereo track by merging 2 mono tracks.
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? I ask because you could just create a new group, name it "guitars" and then route your two guitar tracks to that group and process away without losing the independence between tracks.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

I am hoping someone will see my input here & answer quickly as I have a deadline for a project.

I have a similar need as the original poster. I have a few audio events and I wan to marge them all into one event (so that the tail ends & beginnings are all heard together without cutting each other off.

Can this be done?

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

File -> Export the audio tracks you want to a single .wav, then re-import it.

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

Question Can't Record Vocals and Instrumental at same time using Wavelab 6

Hey, I'm new to Wavelab 6 and, I am running an M-Audio preamp through my computer and, my question is how do i get my Instrumental I have playing on this program to record my Vocals and also record the instrumental together??? It seems when I record my vocals the instrumental will not play and when i switch it over from audio input (hardware) TO, playback output (record what is played back) I don't hear my vocals being recorded, Please help I will continue to try and troubleshoot this problem, thanks in advance...

JAmes
    Last edited by Jamesjames; 02-09-2010 at 01:30 PM.