Liked
    2 times

Default Cubase 5 Precount

I hope I'm in the right section in the site, I need help, I have two problems to resolve.

1) My pre count is not working (Cubase 5), I've gone into the preferences library and there is nothing their I see to kick it in, I've gone into the transport setting and the precount is on there, but when I hit record, Cubase goes straight into record mode, no precount, is there something here I should do? It was working before!

2) I am having a hell of a time trying to edit an acoustic guitar audio track. I would like to clean up some notes I've fudged.
    I know it would help if I could play the damn thing, But It's not likely I could play it perfectly right thru, as I would like, the song is long and I'm finger picking using a guitar pick to play the notes and sometimes double pick the same note.
    I don't get any clear definition of the notes played in the sample editor, and then I get lost in it.
    I Thought I would play sections of the song and splice the parts together, but even with the help of the cubase 5 tutorials 1 & 2, I'm not cutting it. (They use drum samples mostly, making it look easy)
    I'm using 2 mics to record the guitar, so there's two tracks to fix for every muffed note, giving me timing issues as well, the guitar comes out sounding like a 12 string. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by KINFOLK; 01-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Water seeks it`s own level

Certified Badass Member
    High End Gear Lover
    Liked
    742 times

Default Re: Frustrated

I am not sure about the pre roll issue as I am not a Cubase user but for correcting notes, Melodyne is a great piece of software for fixing notes. The newest version does polyphonic sounds and is pretty amazing (called DNA). You would need an instance on each track but very doable.
    Kent

http://www.venuestudios.com

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Cubase 5 Precount

What is your precount value set to and is it active ?

You should be able to see the precount timer settings in the transport panel.
    I think it's in a minutes:seconds: millseconds format on the transport panel.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

1) My pre count is not working (Cubase 5), I've gone into the preferences library and there is nothing their I see to kick it in, I've gone into the transport setting and the precount is on there, but when I hit record, Cubase goes straight into record mode, no precount, is there something here I should do? It was working before!
    These little glitches sometimes occur. Have you tried the infamous restart TWICE trick? I'm not up to Cubase 5 just yet, unfortunately, so I'm gonna have to guess here.

#1 Is the click track working? The pre-roll uses the same routing and such as the click track. Make sure you have the "Studio" bus set to your standard playback bus.

Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of time. Hmmm.

I don't get any clear definition of the notes played in the sample editor, and then I get lost in it.
    The only instrument that doesn't have transients between chords that I know of is high gain electric guitar and instruments that swell (violins, certain synths, etc)

Acoustic guitar should definitely have transients unless you are using an Ebow. There should be a zoom gadget to make it appear as if the track is louder (this is just a visual) and make the peaks taller.

I NEVER do any editing in the sample editor. Cubase makes it so much easier to do this in the main project window (the window with all the tracks). The editing in Cubase SX3 is awesome and I'd guess they've only improved it in Cubase 5. I think you may be using a knife when you've got a perfectly good chainsaw at your disposal.

Liked
    2 times

Soooh, after getting some sleep, come the morning, I went right back at it. Thats when I found or should say noticed, the sync button on the click was highlighted, I un highlighted it and it turned to internal source, whallah! precount back in action.

I worked all day at re-recording the guitar part, finally got a take I could use, Repeated it, and then cut and spliced the parts together, but nfg. the timing went slightly out of sync down the line, (cutting and gluing is an art in itself). and I can't explain why either, but when I repeated the parts, the volume presence changed, sounding dull, so I was left with trying to make the perfect track. I got a lot of practicing in, but no results. Not yet anyways.

In a strange way I'm getting what I need, I got into recording because I wanted to record my songs, I love learning new stuff (cubase), but I also wanted to play more guitar and get into the music, ( for me playing alone is not very stimutating, so for now I'm my own companion).
    I'll have to say the day hasn't been a total loss, but I still do need results to measure my progress by.

"THANKS" Venuestudio for the link, I checked it out, I thought at first they were selling medical supplies. HA!

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

I'm curious why you aren't just punching in. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Let's say we are doing a vocal. The third line says "Let's rock". Let's say she goofs up that line. You don't have to cut and paste or even tough the sample editor. (I hate that thing, most of the time). Instead, just back the cursor up to 5-10 seconds before hand, hit record (or hit play first and then hit record) and her sing that part over. Then just press 3 (in SX3 anyway) and chop off the junk you don't need. If you turn on lanes, it's even easier to see what you are doing. (You may want to hit the manual for "lanes".) You will want to highlight the edges and click "X" to cross fade them together sometimes particularly if you are doing an continuous instrument like acoustic guitar.

The tone often changes from take to take. The timing often changes from take to take even with a click (just human stuff).

Brandon

Liked
    2 times

Its chopping off the parts I don't need, that's the trouble, I've lost more than I've saved. Highlighting the portions To trim and then crossfade, is stuff I'll have to read up on and get to know how to do (practice) Damn the learning curve.
    The guitar part I want to clean up is posted in bash this recording - folk\acoustic. have a listen.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

s chopping off the parts I don't need, that's the trouble, I've lost more than I've saved.
    This is a red flag. When editing in Cubase (view the project window thing) you never lose anything. It's always there. You just move the sliders to allow more or less of that piece to be heard/seen.

The way editing was meant to be done in Cubase is to record over your old mistakes. Do the first take. Cut out everything that stinks. Do another take. Cut a piece that fills the holes from the first take. Fill it in. Crossfade it. Make sure it sounds good. If it doesn't, kill it. The sample editor gets used maybe once a month for me....if that.

I'll take a listen to the toon. I can't right now. I'm away from my speakers.

Brandon

Liked
    2 times

The way editing was meant to be done in Cubase is to record over your old mistakes. Do the first take. Cut out everything that stinks. Do another take. Cut a piece that fills the holes from the first take. Fill it in. Crossfade it. Make sure it sounds good. If it doesn't, kill it.

OK this makes sense to me I'll give it a go, I let you know how it goes. It'll be a couple of days before I can get to it. Thanks!
    Last edited by KINFOLK; 01-06-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Liked
    4682 times

No problem! You may want to take a look at Youtube or some basic video tutorials around the web. I suspect that'll clear up a ton of the confusion. Some year I plan to crank out video tutorials like this all the time. I'm still looking into infrastructure.

Brandon

Liked
    2 times

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, and mabey worth looking into, another venue for helping people learn to record - and to do it well. This does fall into your mantra, (that's why you began Recording Review!), only now you'll be taking it another step forward. I can see that opening other possibilities for you as well. It's amazing how options come into view when one looks closer at something. Not a bad idea at all.