Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5234 times

Default Why Are Software Programs Getting So Big?

I've noticed a trend lately that computer software keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. It makes sense that as we progress further into the future, the power of the software we use will increase. However, I'm seeing programs that should be tiny end up being huge.

For example:

We needed a driver for an HP Printer. The download was 140 MB!!! What the hell are they putting into these drivers? I know that this one was bundled with HPs little program for editing images. My Photoshop install file is only like 70MB. You can't tell me that their software is going to have anywhere near the features of Photoshop. The HP program should be 3 MB max!

I liked into this Podcasting thing recently and had to install Itunes. Of course, I had to install Quicktime too. I hate Quicktime with a passion. So I went to uninstall it today. You see, I use something called Quicktime Alternative. The alternative is 1.5MB. Quicktime is 84MB. Why???

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Why Are Software Programs Getting So Big?

I fell into the same problem with the HP Driver, and I have used their photo editor option to see what was so special, and its really just a glorified paint program. There's not really any options on it that make it extremely useful except for maybe the resizing, but that can be done in Photoshop as well. It doesn't make sense to me either, and I hate it when they bundle the stuff together. I did the Quicktime update (not a Quicktime fan either) and noticed that the iTunes junk was installed as well. iTunes, to me, is about as useless a program as anything and in the long run ended up dying on my computer several times.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

a whole lot of this is due in part to sloppy coding....

shoot i am just a kid yet i can remember when a 1MB was a huge file!

heck the first computer i ever used has like 32MG of RAM

and 4 gigs on the drive!

nowdays that is just how much the OS takes up in space!

they make files that big because they can.
    &quot;Pro Audio is but one tiny cell of a fungus on a short hair of a flea&quot;<br /><br />George Massenburg

Liked
    1 times

You'd expect the coding to get more efficent as time goes on, but thats pretty much only seen in open-source stuff. Commercial software just keeps getting more and more bloated as time goes on.
    Progress cannot be made without diversion from the norm.<br /> - Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5234 times

This seams to be especially the case in a situation like HP where you are buying hardware. They don't seam to mind all that crap that destroys your computer. Of course, this is good for them because you may buy their latest computer.

Brandon

Liked
    0 times

A lot of times coding is so long and sloppy on big time projects because there is such a large amount of programmers working together to make one program. Each programmer is designated for perhaps a couple sub programs. Each programmer has their own style and when you try to put everything together it is a mess. It is quicker to do things this way.

Liked
    0 times

Yeah isn't it nice to see "progress" in the computer world? Bloatware, everywhere! You guys are right, if it's a commercial program, it's probably gonna be big and not as useful as it should be for the size. :P *cough* Windows

Speaking of Windows, when is someone gonna finally leak the code out onto the net? Maybe then we'd see some progress.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5234 times

I have a feeling that I won't be switching to the new Windows for another 5 years. I usually dont' find much incentive to quit using whatever I have at the time. I quit using Window 98 in 2002.

Brandon

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    1 times

Up until 2 weeks ago, I normally would be typing this on a 98SE machine... I finally got a laptop for internet..... the old box still runs like a charm though.... I'm going to recycle it back into the studio... there's nothing wrong with using something that works.... My spare PT system still has OS8 point something which is much older than Win98... who cares...

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5234 times

I'm going to recycle it back into the studio... there's nothing wrong with using something that works
    Good call! I find it silly that people want 1 GB of Ram and 3Ghz processors to check email and Ebay. I was doing this just fine with my P3 450Mhz with 256 MB of RAM (I paid extra to get that much RAM).

I used a 550Mhz machine as my main home computer until last year. It did just fine. I was made fun of, but the machine was not slow. How fast does a computer need to be to run Internet Explorer?

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

i guess good clean lean coding is why i have really gotten into REAPER audio, it has a 1.02 MB download size now! great software with some really nice options for recording and routing....
    &quot;Pro Audio is but one tiny cell of a fungus on a short hair of a flea&quot;<br /><br />George Massenburg

Blog Entries
    Liked
    5234 times

How is the sequencer on it anyway? I've got a younger, broke buddy who I'm interested in recommending it to.

Brandon

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

it seems great to me, i have not used any MIDI yes since all midi i work with is on Mac.

but as far as multi track with effects and places to go with stuff, working with routing of tracks nothing beats it!

it also is getting some really nice effects with it now, while until they get a Mac version i will still be using Tracktion... i can see myself using REAPER for a long time to come yet.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    6 times

HP actually has corp drivers for most of their printers that are barebone drivers, but very true - their drivers are way way overbloated.

I feel also that most software has gone that route - with designers always pushing to utilize more and more resources. Lately a lot of crap is going in just running graphics drivers for DAW software, nothing really that important in my opinion - I don't care if mixer view screen is in 32bit colors and several shades that make it look like say a Neve console.

I think the main idea is that if you don't do it, the competition will and your software will end up looking like it is not professional.

That's why I like the way Reaper is oging with their software - pretty solid design and very small footprint, but again - they are not really commercial on the level that say Cubase and Logic are.
    www.HoustonMusicReviews.com
    Audio gear and music reviews!

Brand New Member
    Liked
    0 times

The worst part is that most of the time these bloated programs are no better than the thinner predecessors.

Gold-Plated Member
    Liked
    6 times

Originally Posted by Peenit
    The worst part is that most of the time these bloated programs are no better than the thinner predecessors.
    Very true! The predecessors ran slow and glitched on slow machines and the new ones run slow and glitch on fast machines
    www.HoustonMusicReviews.com
    Audio gear and music reviews!

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    0 times

- Shiny graphics are necessary to generate sales (+1 for open source)
    - Backwards compatibility (+1 for open source, free upgrades)
    - Developers think HD space is cheap, and don't spend time and code compressing files, etc.
    - Developers aren't necessarily lazy, but they develop and test code on recent machines. They're not paid for fast and small code, their paid for code that eventually gets the job done, and his big specs/numbers (+1 for open source)
    - Developers don't follow the rules, leading to extra code (+1 for open source)
    - High level languages like java, c#, etc, cause bloat very easily
    - Putting "HP" in your system tray is free advertising

EDIT: and copy protection! did you know that some of Cubase's code actually runs on that little dongle? the newer (faster) your dongle, the faster your cubase runs.
    Last edited by zildjohn01; 10-09-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    If this post is really short and has bad grammar, I probably posted it from my cell phone. So gimme a break.

Liked
    0 times

More memory = sloppy coding. Nothing new there.
    Like - if you had loads of money you'd waste more, it's inevitable.
    I used to work for an insurance company (more years ago than I care to remember) and I'd bought myself a portable computer - an Epson HX20 with 16K of ram (yes 16 KB) which I upgraded to 32K.
    With that I punched in the entire company rate book and wrote a presentation program to go with it. In those days we went through the coding looking for ways to economise on memory.
    It made for better quality all round. These days people have no concept of working within strict limitations.
    There's too much of everything - except the things that matter.
    Dell Vostro 400
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 processor (2.40GHz, 1024MHz, 8MB cache)
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard
    500GB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x250GB - 7200rpm)
    WD 500G External HD

Windows XP Pro.
    Cubase 4.5.2
    Komplete 6

Mackie 824 monitors
    Korg X5D
    Soundcraft Spirit FX8 Mixer
    -------------------------------
    Give me rocket science any day!!