• x 1 Post By garageband
  • x 1 Post By LazyE
  • x 1 Post By danmanisa

Thread: Metallica Re-recording Kill 'em All

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Default Metallica Re-recording Kill 'em All

This came across my facebook this morning. Should be interesting to see how it comes out.

Metallica to Re-Record ?Kill Em All? For Own Label - in Metal News ( Metal Underground.com )
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" -John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Default Re: Metallica Re-recording Kill 'em All

Damn, is this an April fools?? I sucked in every god damn year.
    Last edited by bobbybovine; 04-03-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    LazyE likes this.

Liked
    8 times

I hope not, I think it would be awesome to hear that record redone, just to compare the difference in production.

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5087 times

April fools or not, I have no interest in a re-recording. Some people think Master of Puppets should be done to "sound better". What they really mean is they want Master of Puppets to sound like every other metal record since 1993. There's a very fine line between a recording with character, a cheap recording, and a conformist recording.

I imagine the rock and metal world is going need to embrace creativity eventually (something I've heard 6 times in metal since '93). That doesn't happen when every snare sound and guitar sound is engaged in a full-blown pissing contest.

With all that said, I was a huge fan of Seek and Destroy in the Live Shit album that came in the box set. Look that one up.

Brandon
    LazyE likes this.

Old Astronaut Caliber Member
    Couldn't Care Less About Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    3104 times

Originally Posted by bobbybovine
    This came across my facebook this morning. Should be interesting to see how it comes out.

Metallica to Re-Record ?Kill Em All? For Own Label - in Metal News ( Metal Underground.com )
    Awww... I didn't get to spring the April Fool's on you. Maybe next year.
    bobbybovine likes this.
    "Well, if music's gonna move me, it's gotta be action packed!" - Johnny Dollar

Bradner Street Recording

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    April fools or not, I have no interest in a re-recording. Some people think Master of Puppets should be done to "sound better". What they really mean is they want Master of Puppets to sound like every other metal record since 1993. There's a very fine line between a recording with character, a cheap recording, and a conformist recording.

I imagine the rock and metal world is going need to embrace creativity eventually (something I've heard 6 times in metal since '93). That doesn't happen when every snare sound and guitar sound is engaged in a full-blown pissing contest.

With all that said, I was a huge fan of Seek and Destroy in the Live Shit album that came in the box set. Look that one up.

Brandon
    Yeah, I agree. Re-recording isn't a good idea. In fact I usually hate remastering. The Megadeth remasters I felt were awful The songs lost a lot of impact compared to the original releases. Now live album versions I love, something about the energy of playing live that comes through.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Originally Posted by garageband
    Awww... I didn't get to spring the April Fool's on you. Maybe next year.
    I'll fall for it, guaranteed!

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    414 times

Idk, rerecordings can go either way. I don't think anyone will debate that the underground hit records in the 80's sound like crap by any standard today. I'd be all for some classic punk rock albums being redone (if enough members of the band are still alive, that is.)

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    515 times

to re-record `the four horsemen` from kill`em all woud absolutely kill it!!!
    and i dont mean `kill it` in a funky good way either!
    that in my opinion is ne of their best albums, raw and powerful. to try and recreate it would be to polish it and make it something it was never meant to be, they are`nt in their teens/twenties anymore and dont have the drive and ambition and balls that shone through on their earlyer albums, kill em all, ride the lightneing and master of puppets were about attitude and a ark sense of hope then they struck the big big time with metallica metallica (or the back album if u want to call it that) and since then they sit on their own little metal pedastal trying to recreate some more monster tracks. amazing band...but too bad u gotta get old.
    rock on
    brandondrury likes this.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    515 times

infact i got to see them in shefield a few years ago when death magnetic came out, was the best gig i`ve ever been to in my life. they were on top of their game and didnt stop playing for over 2 hours definately a live band for me.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    433 times

Perhaps the band members are suffering from writer's block and can't come up with decent new material?

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Yeah, the reality is you can never recreate a moment in time. So any re-recorded material, as improved as the recordings maybe, will never have that intangible that made the original so great. However, to touch on what Brandon said, when a band wants to re release a certain album because the band is more popular than when an earlier album came out, I think a live album is perfectly acceptable. The best example of this is Queensryche - Operation Livecrime. That was a great DVD (vhs when I got it) and not a bad bit of marketing either capitalizing on their bigger commercial success of Empire.

IMO it would make no sense for Metallica to re record a classic album. Just keep putting out Live albums like Maiden.

Very Bad Individual
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    1692 times

Sorry Bobby, but as soon as I saw your post I immediately thought it was a joke!
    Metallica just don't go backwards like that. And they most certainly would not be making it sound 'better' for anyone but themselves, and I doubt that they would want to. From what I know of the band, there is almost NEVER a shortage of material, so I'd argue strongly against Rook's thoughts there.

Agreed LazyE! I've seen them 4 times (3 here in Australia and once that the new Wembley just after it opened). I've never been disappointed! When they headlined our Big Day Out festival some years ago, I have not so many people say "I am not really a fan but that was FREAKIN AWESOME!".

Great April Fools idea though!
    bobbybovine likes this.
    Rules do not belong in music. Like food, there are flavours that work well together, but in the end, it's each person's taste that determines the quality of the meal.

Bronze-Plated Member
    Liked
    32 times

I was giving guitar lessons when Metallica was basking in their "Master of Puppets" glory. A few of my students at the time had bootlegs of "Kill 'em All" with the Mustaine guitar parts intact. I distinctly remember those solos being more aggressive and in your face. My not so humble opinion is that if they feel they must re-record it, then ditch Hammett and bring back Mustaine for the recording.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Originally Posted by danmanisa
    Sorry Bobby, but as soon as I saw your post I immediately thought it was a joke!
    Metallica just don't go backwards like that. And they most certainly would not be making it sound 'better' for anyone but themselves, and I doubt that they would want to. From what I know of the band, there is almost NEVER a shortage of material, so I'd argue strongly against Rook's thoughts there.

Agreed LazyE! I've seen them 4 times (3 here in Australia and once that the new Wembley just after it opened). I've never been disappointed! When they headlined our Big Day Out festival some years ago, I have not so many people say "I am not really a fan but that was FREAKIN AWESOME!".

Great April Fools idea though!
    The thing is after ST. Anger and the Mastering debacle of Death Magnetic, they seems to be making certain production decisions that put them in the spotlight, albeit not positively and so I would not put a stunt like this past them. There is no argument that they are THE best live band. I have seen them 3 times, '89, '92 and '11 and each time was killer. I have seen a lot of bands play live, and Metallica by far puts on a better show than anyone. Even if Lars still messes up all the time.

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    790 times

Yeah saw them in the early 90s and again in 2006. I'm not a huge Metallica fan (nor even a live music fan) generally but the 2006 show was one of the best I've seen definitely. It was the 20th anniversary of MOP so the played the thing in its entirety - plus a good 45 minutes either side of it. Great stuff, expertly played and fantastic sound.
    "If it sounds good it IS good"

Liked
    578 times

The thing is after ST. Anger and the Mastering debacle of Death Magnetic, they seems to be making certain production decisions that put them in the spotlight, albeit not positively and so I would not put a stunt like this past them. There is no argument that they are THE best live band. I have seen them 3 times, '89, '92 and '11 and each time was killer. I have seen a lot of bands play live, and Metallica by far puts on a better show than anyone. Even if Lars still messes up all the time.
    I don't know. I've seen Metallica 5 times or so, the first one being the Load tour (I was 13, and man, when everything went haywire I were shocked! ). The last couple of shows got somewhat boring IMO. There is something to be said about hearing the same 25 songs live a few years apart. The last shows they had here I couldn't even be bothered to go.. I wish I could watch Metallica live in the late 80s/early 90s though. Watching live shit: Binge and Purge and recent live videos are two totally different bands, and not for the better. The same with the big 4: 3 bands sounded fresher, angrier, tighter and more experienced than the headliner act which is kind of sad... Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax looses on the mass appeal though (strangely enough).

The best show I've seen has been a Maiden show. They still play alot of the same songs, but at least they'll mix it up every other tour. And it's hard to not get carried away when a stiff, toy-looking Eddy walks on stage...
    Last edited by Dahla; 04-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Originally Posted by Dahla
    The best show I've seen has been a Maiden show. They still play alot of the same songs, but at least they'll mix it up every other tour. And it's hard to not get carried away when a stiff, toy-looking Eddy walks on stage...
    Sadly I have never been able to see Maiden

Liked
    578 times

Sadly I have never been able to see Maiden
    Then you have something to look forward too!

Supreme Overlord Commander
    Pissed Off At High End Gear
    Blog Entries
    Liked
    5087 times

Perhaps the band members are suffering from writer's block and can't come up with decent new material?
    I think it's mostly an issue of age. It's my thought that old people rely on wisdom. Young people don't know a damn thing so they rely on intuition. Old people who are successful have this tendency to try to use that wisdom to recreate what they did the in the past. Even if they aren't recreating it, they are thinking about it. Young people just make stuff and don't care.

Maybe not.

Brandon

Powerhouse Mega Member
    Liked
    515 times

Originally Posted by Dahla

i always thought maiden were supposed to be THE best live band ever!
    then i eventually got to see them in manchester indoor areana on the `matter of life and death` tour.
    to be honest it was utter crap! the sound was terribe, everyone i spoke to was saying they were unimpressed and it was just quite crap, they hardly played many classics and they didnt play run to the hills or the trooper!
    i hear`d the tour picked up after this and it was quite possibly the fault of the venue but it was non the less a massive echoey mumbled dissapointment!
    and i`m a massive maiden fan!!! i must try and see them again soon to channge my mind, but after that experience i`m slightly hlding back, however i would see metallica again whatever the price!
    but i suppose sheffieild indoor arena kicks ass over Manchester M.E.N
    either way i suppose even the greatest of rock bands have off days, they are after all, only human!
    :-)
    rock on...

Blog Entries
    Liked
    2032 times

Originally Posted by LazyE
    i always thought maiden were supposed to be THE best live band ever!
    then i eventually got to see them in manchester indoor areana on the `matter of life and death` tour.
    to be honest it was utter crap! the sound was terribe, everyone i spoke to was saying they were unimpressed and it was just quite crap, they hardly played many classics and they didnt play run to the hills or the trooper!
    i hear`d the tour picked up after this and it was quite possibly the fault of the venue but it was non the less a massive echoey mumbled dissapointment!
    and i`m a massive maiden fan!!! i must try and see them again soon to channge my mind, but after that experience i`m slightly hlding back, however i would see metallica again whatever the price!
    but i suppose sheffieild indoor arena kicks ass over Manchester M.E.N
    either way i suppose even the greatest of rock bands have off days, they are after all, only human!
    :-)
    rock on...
    YEah, venue has a lot to do with the enjoyment. I have seen Megadeth twice. First at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto for Gigantour and it sucked a giant ass. Too much concrete and steel, was near impossible to hear the notes being played on guitar. The second was here at the Halifax Metro Cenre, which was WAY loud. I forgot my earplugs and it was surpassing my pain threshold. They played very tight but the enjoyment had been squeezed out of it due to the pain factor. Now when I saw Dream Theater at Massey Hall in Toronto, that was amazing, super well played, and the sound was balanced and very enjoyable.

Silver-Plated Member
    Liked
    130 times

Originally Posted by brandondrury
    Some people think Master of Puppets should be done to "sound better".
    Don't you mean Justice? You can be ridiculed for dissing Puppets I think Ride The Lightning is better than Puppets though.